Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

The Belko Experiment... it was funny, that's about all.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

"Life" (2017)

With the caliber of actors in it, I was expecting a little something more. I mean, I did expect an Alien-like sci-fi/horror pic that would feel comfortably predictable but decent. The first half of the film is ok/does fine but it falls apart at the end. And what was with that in-your-face omnipresent/ominous soundtrack. Really rather overdid it with that.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Life" (2017)

With the caliber of actors in it, I was expecting a little something more. I mean, I did expect an Alien-like sci-fi/horror pic that would feel comfortably predictable but decent. The first half of the film is ok/does fine but it falls apart at the end. And what was with that in-your-face omnipresent/ominous soundtrack. Really rather overdid it with that.

The concept was cool...

Cthulhu in space basically?

But yeah, in the end it was just as disappointing as Aliens or any other creature feature (excluding shark movies of course).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

^ Oh, I love Alien and Aliens (but not the further sequels...)...and anything similar if it's well done. By now it's all fairly predictable, like I said, but I do like such movies. The only problem is most movies like that aren't well done. I was just hoping, because of the cast list, that "Life" would be one of those rare exceptions.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Looks like Ron Howard is taking over the Han Solo movie. Apparently the other two directors were turning it into a comedy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-ron-howard-steps-direct-1015674

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Guest The Architect

I actually... liked the new Transformers despite the numerous cringe worthy attempts at humour. Maybe it was because it's the only one apart from the first one that I've seen, maybe it's because I wanted to revisit my childhood and was in the right mood for it. Enjoyed the action, visuals, crazy mythology, and Wahlberg's natural charisma overshadows his character. Also liked Anthony Hopkins and Cogman. Still way too long, they need to cut the length down to around 2 hours and get someone who can write witty dialogue for these kind of popcorn flicks like the Deadpool or Guardians of the Galaxy writers.

Kong: Skull Island.

A slow start, some gorgeous visuals of the island and locations. A bit of cgi monster, and that slight touch of serious mixed with pulp adventure. They've thrown in a few strokes of Ahab/Heart of Darkness, and Samuel Jackson chews the scenery with quiet intensity while Tom Hiddleston takes the lead as the slightly broken former SAS tracker/guide. You do have the fun of playing "spot the corpse" and figuring out who is going to get eaten/maimed/picked off by the various wildlife as it plays along.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched the new Power Rangers out of curiosity.

They walked the fine line of pushing it serious enough to avoid falling into the silly-camp and somewhat ground it in reality, but without going so far it be became grim-dark and angsty.

The first half being that slow introduction of the characters, the usual mix of teenage oddballs learning to trust each other and becoming friends, then a section of training not-quite-montage, followed by last quarter consisting of a batch of overly stylistic combat and some cgi monsters as they figure out how to really pull together.

Looks like Ron Howard is taking over the Han Solo movie. Apparently the other two directors were turning it into a comedy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-ron-howard-steps-direct-1015674

two of the ron howard films we enjoyed is comedies: night shift and gung ho. both is kinda b-movie terrible, but we laughed, so ron obvious did his job. 

am gonna admit a beautiful mind were a pleasant surprise.  most ron howard films has been competent efforts w/o being particular noteworthy for the direction.  

never saw cinderella man, which we heard a few good things 'bout. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Apparently Cinderella Man made Max Baer into a villain who enjoyed his reputation as a man killer, whereas the real Max Baer was torn-up over Frankie Campbell's death and almost quit boxing over it, so I've heard its historical accuracy challenged a bit.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

watched that new Alien, pretty 'meh' if you ask me

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Detachment.

The story of a substitute teacher and the three weeks he spends at an inner city American school. Full of quite serious names, Adrien Brody, James Caan, Christina Hendricks, Lucy Liu, William Petersen, Bryan Cranston....  Good acting, great writing about the flaws of humanity and dealing with each other while trying to connect and find relevance with life, but oh so incredibly depressing.

Came across Yoga Hosers and saw it was by Kevin Smith. What the eff happened to Kevin Smith? This movie is one of the worst, dumbest and most insulting things I've ever seen.

He made it with his daughter. He still has pretty good podcasts, at least. 

Came across Yoga Hosers and saw it was by Kevin Smith. What the eff happened to Kevin Smith? This movie is one of the worst, dumbest and most insulting things I've ever seen.

He's a talentless hack ?.

Silent bob and what's the one where Alan Rickman is a fallen angel - long time ago now and he's past it. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Watched Burn After Reading. Didn't know it was Coen Brothers until the end, but I'm surprised I didn't guess that half-way through.

The film itself is great, but the content is like watching a train wreck. It's engrossing for all the wrong reasons. The movie was like reading a tabloid on nobodies and you still couldn't look away.

• Like 1

watched new King Arthur from Guy Richie - Meh again man. I think he can make decent 'historical' 'snatch' movie, but it freaking does not fit if you add so many fantasy elements into it :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Watched Burn After Reading. Didn't know it was Coen Brothers until the end, but I'm surprised I didn't guess that half-way through.

The film itself is great, but the content is like watching a train wreck. It's engrossing for all the wrong reasons. The movie was like reading a tabloid on nobodies and you still couldn't look away.

Yeah I've not really enjoyed their movies since No Contry for Old Men, although I haven't seen Hail Caesar! yet. They're great directors though, but maybe they've run out of good stories to tell :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah I've not really enjoyed their movies since No Contry for Old Men, although I haven't seen Hail Caesar! yet. They're great directors though, but maybe they've run out of good stories to tell :)

Personally I enjoyed A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis more than No Country for Old Men. Also Bridge of Spies, which they penned.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

may seem like a quibble, but am gonna note true grit were released three years after no country for old men. true grit is not only excellent and vintage coen, but roger deakins were also clear at the top o' his game. fantastic storytelling. beautiful film. deserves to be on any top 10 modern western list.

in the spirit o' full disclosure, Gromnir and cassidy is in full agreement regarding the big lebowski.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

He's a talentless hack ?.

Silent bob and what's the one where Alan Rickman is a fallen angel - long time ago now and he's past it. 

Dogma, but Alan Rickman wasn't a fallen angel he played the Metatron. The fallen angels were played by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.

may seem like a quibble, but am gonna note true grit were released three years after no country for old men. true grit is not only excellent and vintage coen, but roger deakins were also clear at the top o' his game. fantastic storytelling. beautiful film. deserves to be on any top 10 modern western list.

in the spirit o' full disclosure, Gromnir and cassidy is in full agreement regarding the big lebowski.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah well, nobody's perfect and you'll have to own up to not liking The Big Lebowski when you meet your maker. I just hope for your soul that your good deeds outweigh that. :devil:

Edit:

Although, I guess we all have one of these. For me it's Kill Bill, I absolutely don't get the fawning over that pointless collection of homage - and I generally enjoy such movies (loved Turbo Kid for instance).

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.