Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

another trailer for new Alien, I feel like I have already seen half of the movie...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Saw Guardians vol 2 yesterday and I loved it while my wife thought it was just decent approaching good.

These MCU movies are totally my bag though (except for Iron Man 3 and maybe Thor 2) so I can see how people who aren't into comic books and their movie adaptations would be more critical.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I liked Jordan Peterson's take on the popularity of Superhero movies. They are modern mythological heroes embodying the ideal. Defending the weak, fighting evil, and telling the truth. With so much of society criticizing what humanity has enshrined as the ideal, movies that celebrate it doing well makes a lot of sense

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What ideal is society criticizing?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What ideal is society criticizing?

Strong men who fight enemies and tell the truth.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Must be missing criticism on that, well other than yahoos online perhaps.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guardians is not a comedy? News to me.

I don't see it as one, but I can see how I could be wrong. To me though, the kind of humour in it, however plentiful, is much more reminiscent of its same use in blockbuster fare by and large and not in comedy specifically. I see Guardians as a superhero/space opera hybrid primarily and I think it works best when it's either of these things.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Alien Covenant.

It's like one of the old TNG Data vs Lore episodes. It's great. Great to see HR Giger concept art revived. Same problem as Prometheus though. The movie doesn't spend the time to introduce the crew so when they start dying off one by one you don't really care. The Wagner was a bit too on the nose. A genius with a hatred for a race of people and so on.  

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Will be seeing it after work tonight. From what I've been told that though the consensus is that it's better than Prometheus (and a damned sight better than 3 and Ressurrection, which is frankly good enough for me as a huge fan of the series) it falls into the same trap as Prometheus in that the plot turns on supposedly intelligent people making the absolute worst decisions possible.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Alien Covenant

If you're at all interested, then you should absolutely watch Prometheus a second time instead. This movie made me appreciate Prometheus. Where Prometheus was an interesting film done poorly, this was a mediocre film done okay. It is not the Alien prequel you've been wanting, it might be the prequel to that movie, but only if Scott is attached as Executive Producer.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

am wondering which bond villain he will use as inspiration for eddie brock's voice. sounded like auric goldfinger for bane, so perhaps julius no or max zorin for venom? rosa klebb would be our vote, but am doubting he goes such a direction.

HA! Good Fun!

ps forgot the second "b" in klebb. knew it looked wrong.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Charles Grey's Blofeld?

Yaphet Koto's Mr. Big?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Saw Alien: Covenant on opening night and I think I've given it enough time to stew. For me it vacillated between a 6 and a 7 out of 10, but ultimately I give it a 7. I didn't come into it with nearly as much hope I had for Prometheus back in the day, so that helped. Fassbender definitely kills it as both David and Walter in this movie, and as Walter he makes an outstanding not-Bishop...

The scene of David going General LeMay/Bomber Harris on the Engineers was amazing as well

However as someone who had dug deep into the lore for the franchise (so far as to have a copy of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual when I was a kid) a few things gnawed at me...

...notably the fact that since it was implied that the classic Xenomorph birthed from a Facehugger was engineered by David, and that the precursor species was the Neomorph which is spawned from organisms infected with a microscopic airborne pathogen, it seemed like the classic Xenomorph was kind of a downgrade. Then there was the fact that in the other movies the Facehugger impregnation process and the Chestburster incubation took at least the better part of the day and in Covenant the Facehugger only needs to be on a guy for a few seconds and the Chestburster comes out in a few hours.

That finishes my thoughts on Covenant. This weekend I also saw <<Blame!>> on Netflix, which is a fairly solid adaptation of the original comic. Very rarely do I see any anime that has come out since the middle part of the last decade since they tended to veer too much towards overly sappy and sentimental for my tastes, but this one is overall pure post-apocalyptic cyberpunk joy. Think the Dark Tower meets Akira and you have a reasonable idea of its themes and tone. 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Alien: Covenant

Regarding timing:

I think the franchise has had the problem of how long it takes to produce a chest-burster in the past, though.  The timing seems to be "whenever the plot requires it".

I admit to - like Floride - I left the theater somewhat disappointed.

People like to complain that the people in Prometheus acted dumb, but here a group of settlers not equipped for an exploration mission (at least that's the only reason I assume they don't wear any kind of environmental suit for a first arrival on an alien planet) rather willy-nillily ignore the fact that they're not actually equipped to explore a planet that is not the one they're going to (and presumably one that has already been checked out for pathogens and poisons).  Given that they have thousands of colonists, that seems grossly negligent.

When they arrive on said planet, they

• Take almost the entire command crew on an away mission
  • Leave the shuttle without guard (only the pilot is left behind and she's supposed to be occupied with repairs) despite the fact they make it clear they only have that 1 shuttle
  • Tell the pilot to obey protocol and leave the door closed, which she ignores
  • But apparently they have enough security to send one with the scientist to take samples so that the people can get split up allowing the crisis at the shuttle to happen

Other somewhat unexplained things include -

• why wasn't all of the away team put into quarantine given that they'd seen what had happened to people who were infected (they're accepting David's word that 'they'd know' but as he tried to kill them all, shouldn't his word be suspect?  How did the final alien not get 'caught' in medical scans they'd have to do of the injured man?
  • Why doesn't anyone notice the obvious signs that its David at the end and not Walter?

On the surface, this is one of those things that should only bug if you watched Prometheus, but why did Dr. Shaw rebuild David when she knew he was a murder-bot?

Its not all bad, it is tense, set design is awesome, direction is solid, cast is great but I feel like it could have been better.    In particular there's a lot of things that seem to go nowhere.

In particular, they make a big deal of faith early on in the picture but IMO fail to actually deliver anything with that theme.  I'd also add that the first Alien has an implication of isolation in a deadly and indifferent universe; bringing the aliens back around to being the result of a Frankenstein-esque storyline doesn't quite sit well with me yet.

Some questions seem to imply a larger aspect of the universe which might be neat if they follow-up on it -

For example if David unleashed the virus onto the city, what causes it to crash into the mountain some distance away?  Is the low technology on the world a sign that there's some entity further back than the Engineers (ie are the Engineers picked and "raised up" by a race still hidden?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So word is that Tom Holland is going to be playing young Nathan Drake in the Uncharted adaption, that will focus itself as a "prequel" and show the young thief Drake and first encounter with Sullivan.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Now You See Me 2 was on Amazon Prime so I sat down to watch it.

Generally entertaining, although I think the first one was a lot more snappier, although some of the twists were an engaging turn on what had gone on before.

Was a shame Isla Fisher didn't return, they threw in about 5 lines of dialogue to explain her characters disappearance right near the start of the film, and then it wasn't mentioned again.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Baywatch - Exactly the movie I thoguht it would be. Funny, good action, and hot babes.   Anyone who expected more depth than that went to the wrong film. 8/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Never a doubt. WW, 96% Fresh, 45 reviews on RT. 

am admitted reluctant to find optimism.  got commercials with the heavy handed girl-power.  and yes, got a ww who appears comic skinny to our eyes.

wonder-woman-movie-menalippe-diana-hippo

worst of all, most early reviews we has seen tell us ww is "overdue." wish they wouldn't do so. am thinking it goes w/o saying that ww has a female protagonist.  duh. nevertheless, the reviewers feel compelled to tell us how groundbreaking is ww.  is a summer blockbuster with a pretty star who gots a dubious resume.  our expectations is not gonna be difficult to exceed.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)