Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

Arguably, both of WW's major origins make her supernatural, so I'd think an argument similar to the "why does Superman need to be muscular if his superpowers are where he's pulling his strength from* and not his muscles" could be applied to her.

The biggest thing (to my mind) is the movie ensuring I believe she's WW.

*Note I think this argument mostly fall on Post-Crisis Superman, whose powers were defined as a form of telekinesis rather than a yellow-sun fueled body.

such stuff might make sense save for the brutal amazon training every ww has endured.  if the movie shows gadot sleep-walking her way through her themyscira amazonian training, w/o the traditional obligatory sweat and toil and struggle, then we could accept a plausibly rail-thin ww who were able to similar magic her way past monsters and mayhem rather than muscling her way to victory.

this isn't 1978 or even 1988. got carrie ann moss in matrix or jessica biel in blade looking instead like characters from the devil wears prada, and am thinking many/most will find it peculiar. heck, elizabeth blunt, who is back on board for edge of tomorrow 2, coulda' claimed the power suit were doing all the work. no need for those workouts.

elizabeth blunt looks attractive in devil, but is a different than rita vrataski role, eh?

regardless, one wonders how fans woulda' reacted if henry cavill had taken a similar approach.

scene would be a kinda different if henry had the build o' your typical k-pop, boy band member, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In Batman V. Superman (or is it vice versa) I thought she actually looked pretty impressive. Did they mess with the scale or something? I don't remember her looking frail, quite the contrary. She seemed large, like the same size as bulky batman and shiny superman.

Last night I finally got to see the 2010 remake of True Grit. I loved it. The 1969 version was the 2nd best movie John Wayne ever made IMO (the Shootist was first). But Jeff Bridges absolutely nailed it. Kim Darby and Glen Campbell were excruciating to watch in the original. Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon were both excellent. The remake included some things that were in the book that did not make it, including the ending which was beautifully melancholic. Great movie. I was sure they were going to screw it up with "modern sensibilities" but that didn't happen at all. If anything it was far mre true to the source material that the original.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Dunno, I don't like it. I wanted noir, not that action crap :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I didn't know THAT was coming. Definitely going to see that.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm inclined to agree... I'm getting a bit of a Ghost in the Shell remake vibe from it. Regardless, if Arrival (or the rest of his films for that matter) is any indication, Villeneuve does seem the type to rein the action in in favour of ideas, so I wouldn't be too worried just yet.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Arguably, both of WW's major origins make her supernatural, so I'd think an argument similar to the "why does Superman need to be muscular if his superpowers are where he's pulling his strength from* and not his muscles" could be applied to her.

*Note I think this argument mostly fall on Post-Crisis Superman, whose powers were defined as a form of telekinesis rather than a yellow-sun fueled body.

such stuff might make sense save for the brutal amazon training every ww has endured.  if the movie shows gadot sleep-walking her way through her themyscira amazonian training, w/o the traditional obligatory sweat and toil and struggle, then we could accept a plausibly rail-thin ww who were able to similar magic her way past monsters and mayhem rather than muscling her way to victory.

The argument goes if Superman's powers provide him strength, what on earth can he train with on earth that would actually give him heroic musculature?  Similarly if Diana's strength is supernatural and the Amazons are not (they have and haven't been in DC comics) how can training with them ever be rigorous enough to create a heavily muscled body.

Again this isn't necessarily an argument I agree with, merely presenting it as it could be a rationale they're using to create a less muscled version of Diana.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The argument goes if Superman's powers provide him strength, what on earth can he train with on earth that would actually give him heroic musculature?  Similarly if Diana's strength is supernatural and the Amazons are not (they have and haven't been in DC comics) how can training with them ever be rigorous enough to create a heavily muscled body.

Again this isn't necessarily an argument I agree with, merely presenting it as it could be a rationale they're using to create a less muscled version of Diana.

Perhaps, but if so I'm not sure the argument would hold much water considering every other superhero is buff beyond belief, as par with Snyder's style. To be honest I'd probably view such a justification pretty critically myself, as it would seem like an extremely cynical move to try and "excuse" the fact that women superheroes are made to look like supermodels despite the overwhelming amount of muscle on their male counterparts. Now, I don't mind there being female heroines with supermodel proportions, but if so at least reserve that appearance for heroines who don't count on superstrength as one of their primary sources of power (I am not much of a DC connoisseur, but I guess Zatanna would fill that part?).

That aside I do think all of this is mostly overthinking it. My main issue is to do with aesthetics, really: I do like my heroic proportions on both men and women, and in the latter case especially I do find it very unconvincing when the actress in question is a third of the size of her opponent and throws her punches like she's never done so before in her life (which is, unfortunately, all too often). If the character is supposed to possess super-strength I'd rather buy the actress in that part from a physique du rol perspective as well. There's also the fact that in an action film this is perhaps *the* most important aspect when casting your actors and/or stuntmen - acting in action films is all about the physical performance, and to cast someone who is unconvincing at performing the required feats is the same as casting first-time dancers in a musical.

Edited by algroth

I'm inclined to agree... I'm getting a bit of a Ghost in the Shell remake vibe from it. Regardless, if Arrival (or the rest of his films for that matter) is any indication, Villeneuve does seem the type to rein the action in in favour of ideas, so I wouldn't be too worried just yet.

That could be just one action set piece near the end. You know, like in the original. I knew instantly that Ghost was going to be mediocre action, not sure about this one. The Alien remake, What is it Alien 8, 9, if we count all the crossovers, looks pretty bland though. 

He's getting up there, Scott, maybe he's just past it. Happens to everyone.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

That could be just one action set piece near the end. You know, like in the original. I knew instantly that Ghost was going to be mediocre action, not sure about this one.

Yeah, I would agree and it's what I'm expecting myself. I just think it's one of those The Road/Valhalla Rising-type situations where the trailer is attempting to sell the film as something it isn't... And the impression that it leaves of the film suffers for it in turn.

It's being directed by Villeneuve, so a fresh take on it might just be what it needs to inspire audiences again. Also thus far people have responded fairly positively to Covenant, but then again the bar for tolerable for that franchise is somewhere above Alien^3, Ressurrection, Prometheus, and AvP2.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

That aside I do think all of this is mostly overthinking it.

The theory comes from comic book fans, who have nothing better to do than debate minutia and overthink things while waiting for the next release.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

Was what I expected. Meh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I saw Guardians Vol. 2 yesterday. I thought it was alright. I liked the fact that they are willing to throw so much at the screen and generallly enjoyed the visual aesthetic of it, but it's with the overwhelming frequency of jokes and nods where I felt it let me down the most: it's fine to have some levity here and there, a bit of comic relief to break the tension and play with some cliché or other; problem is, Guardians is not a comedy, and the jokes may arise the occasional smirk but for the most part they are simply not funny. They don't just cut the mood of a scene, they bloody cleave it with a butcher-knife. And it's all too often, all too forced too. There are whole five-minute sequences that are designed specifically to throw jabs at one another, and it just makes me groan. The stuff with the "Taserface" dude was the absolute worst. And do we really need FIVE post-credit scenes? As with the first one the jukebox soundtrack doesn't always work either. These matters aside, fun enough romp.

Guardians is not a comedy? News to me.

to each his own. I prefer more mature dark or sarcastic humour. Don't get offended but usually comedy in US movies is pretty childish compared to UK

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"