Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

WW has been hyped  alot and constantly sicne it was first announced she was going to be in BvS and was getting her own movie. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah new TV spots all week with a 60sec edit today:

I must not be watching the right TV shows (entirely possible). I saw the original trailer a couple of times on TV and not at all in the movie theaters (not even on WB films, which was surprising).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hey, I liked Charlie's Angels! :p

You need help :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I initially didnt like the choice of actress for WW because I felt she isnt "Amazonian" enough, but the movie has definately grown on me from watching the trailers. That part where she creates a shock wave by smacking her bracelets together makes me giddy.

am ambivalent 'bout gadot for reasons stated multiple times on these boards.  too little to be positive 'bout and not enough to be convinced gadot is a fail. 

am actual most intrigued by danny huston.  with the exception o' sam raimi's spider-man flicks, and perhaps loki in thor, the dc properties has made a much greater effort to develop villains than has marvel.  have thought danny huston were underutilized in most films, so while it seems unlikely, am hopeful he gets a chance to impress.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as an aside, am most cynical 'bout the wonder woman film 'cause o' a cgi main antagonist, even if is being voiced by a decent actor.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Colossal. Best monster movie ever.

I've been a fan of Nacho Vigalondo for a while now, he's very witty and inventive. Looking forward to it!

Thought I didn't know him, but apparently he made my favourite short film of all time, 7:35 In The Morning.

• Like 1

am ambivalent 'bout gadot for reasons stated multiple times on these boards.  too little to be positive 'bout and not enough to be convinced gadot is a fail. 

am actual most intrigued by danny huston.  with the exception o' sam raimi's spider-man flicks, and perhaps loki in thor, the dc properties has made a much greater effort to develop villains than has marvel.  have thought danny huston were underutilized in most films, so while it seems unlikely, am hopeful he gets a chance to impress.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as an aside, am most cynical 'bout the wonder woman film 'cause o' a cgi main antagonist, even if is being voiced by a decent actor.

I recall you mentioning that you prefer a more athletic WW. Being a product of my times, I guess I like my WW to look like Linda Carter. :lol:

I'm not familiar enough with the protagonist,

Ares

, to have an opinion for or against but the wiki page description of his abilities seems formidable!

Ares is not the protagonist. He is the atagonist. Ares is the Greek God of War.  How cna you not be familiar - even a little bit  - with him.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I liked Ares in Justice League. Mr Sera the arms dealer. Conflict makes him stronger and he emits an aura that heightens aggressive emotions.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Colossal. Best monster movie ever.

I've been a fan of Nacho Vigalondo for a while now, he's very witty and inventive. Looking forward to it!

Thought I didn't know him, but apparently he made my favourite short film of all time, 7:35 In The Morning.

Yup, that is great. His short films are generally all quality. Timecrimes is also very good.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I recall you mentioning that you prefer a more athletic WW. Being a product of my times, I guess I like my WW to look like Linda Carter. :lol:

I think Gina Carano could have made an interesting Wonder Woman myself. And yes, I do agree that Gal Gadot looks way too frail for the role.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I think Gina Carano could have made an interesting Wonder Woman myself. And yes, I do agree that Gal Gadot looks way too frail for the role.

any number o' lithe actresses coulda' dedicated themselves to a little gym time and found a way to add noticeable muscle-tone.  

244090410.jpg

sure, linda hamilton's t2 transformation may be the most famous for a skinny actress who got ripped for a film, but hilary swank, jessica biel (pictured above) and emily blunt is all examples o' frail actresses who dedicated themselves to a bit o' weight training so as to be taken more serious in a role. 

gadot is just such an odd choice for ww.  if she were an incredible actress with unimpeachable acting chops, am doubting folks like Gromnir would be so critical o' her lack o' dedication in the gym.  am not knowledgeable o' the franchise, but from all accounts, ms. gadot's acting contribution to fast and furious were o' dubious merit.  adding a bit o' muscle would not convince us she could act, but it would show us she were serious 'bout the role.

is no question the new ww is pretty and exotic.  what else?

even so, won't take long to decide if godot is a fraud or legit as ww.  am not gonna see the upcoming ww film on opening night, and am doubtful we rely on a manifested review, but am admitted intrigued by the film in spite o' our reservations 'bout the actress playing the titular role.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not trusting manifested only 'cause he clear wants to like this film. seems a tad invested.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

No problem, myself doesn't trust me to be objective, either. Is a failing we recognize that prevents honest review.

Maybe overt female physical strength reads as threatening or off-putting. Terminator and MDB and those mentioned may not have hinged success on a character known to many yet seen by none on the big screen. Pretty, exotic, and ... relatable, perhaps. 

All Stop. On Screen.

There aren't any good guys in the Greek pantheon. They are all selfish and toy with humans for their own satisfaction. 

I might be wrong but no bad stories of Hermes come to mind....He was the god of plagues and thieves though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

before the trojan horse, the story o' pandora existed... and pandora were a trojan horse. pandora, a created being, were imbued with many gifts from the gods, but is hermes who made her, uh, well, a treacherous slattern. pandora were gifted to epimetheus so as to destroy man/men.

HA! Good Fun!

To be fair, I'm assuming Ms Gadot might have been hired for her look and may even have clauses against weight gain of any kind in her contract. If the late Carrie Fisher was to be believed, this happens more often than not, and the decision to have Gadot 'bulk up' for the role probably doesn't lie with her own dedication.

Arguably, both of WW's major origins make her supernatural, so I'd think an argument similar to the "why does Superman need to be muscular if his superpowers are where he's pulling his strength from* and not his muscles" could be applied to her.

The biggest thing (to my mind) is the movie ensuring I believe she's WW.

*Note I think this argument mostly fall on Post-Crisis Superman, whose powers were defined as a form of telekinesis rather than a yellow-sun fueled body.

Movies I watched over the weekend:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - very similar to the first film; I'd argue neither really better or worse.  Nice visualizations of some of the cosmic stuff.  Kurt Russel was really good.

Avalance Sharks - lol, wtf?

Now You See Me 2 - A decent caper film; I don't think the narrative is as strong as the first film, but I liked the set pieces a lot.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I heard Guardians of Galaxy 2 fall short as there is AGAIN too much pathos and tearful stories about painful childhood and such. Can't we have movies without it from time to time? I kinda enjoyed first one :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I heard Guardians of Galaxy 2 fall short as there is AGAIN too much pathos and tearful stories about painful childhood and such. Can't we have movies without it from time to time? I kinda enjoyed first one :/

For me it had the right amount of dramatic work in it.  Its understandable in a film where major characters meet family members that there will be some drama, but I think it works without interfering with the fun of the story.