Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

So they cast Josh Brolin as Cable

To me it's a better choice than Michael Shannon but not as good as Brad Pitt or Stephen Lang

I keep thinking that the role should go to an unknown that looks the part.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

..Gah.

Current rumour has it that Will Smith is in talks to play the Genie in Disney's proposed live-action Aladdin.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tried watching Deadpool but got bored after action and explosions got replaced by love and romance.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone complain that Deadpool was too heavy on the romance. That's an odd one.

• Like 1

1.Didn't say it was 'too heavy on the romance'
2.I'm not complaining, just didn't like it.

I thought it was a super hero movie at first but after watching it for 10-15 minutes I realized it was a Marvel super hero movie. Those tend to be a little too american for my taste...

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Grand Budapest Hotel. Made me sad.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I thought it was a super hero movie at first but after watching it for 10-15 minutes I realized it was a Marvel super hero movie. Those tend to be a little too american for my taste...

It spends the entire movie making fun of the Marvel universe, so maybe you just didn't get the humor. It's more parody than super hero movie.

It spends the entire movie making fun of the Marvel universe, so maybe you just didn't get the humor. It's more parody than super hero movie.

You can't make a parody out of an already existing parody. :p

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that Liev Schreiber was going to appear in Logan as Sabretooth but it didn't work out, and now I'm super mad at the world that it didn't happen. Logan is superb, but even just a glimpse of Sabretooth would have really made me happy. Especially with how Liev has grown as an actor, it could have been amazing.

• Like 1

I can imagine an existing role he could have filled too, would have been pretty great.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So I went and watched me some Ghost in the Shell.

It's visually impressive enough but the way the story has been dumbed down is equally impressive. Didn't expect much and got exactly that, I guess. Should've picked the Power Rangers movie I guess. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Finally saw Logan, it was ok. Certainly ran with the R rating.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ugh, don't remind me of Deadpool, that movie was a pain to watch. :>

I thought it was OK. Can't remember too many good superhero movies. It stood out because the superhero banter worked, you know those speech bubbles spider man does while punching people, those had never been captured effectively in a movie before. I don't know if I want that much interior dialoge in every superhero movie from now on  but it was interesting to observe.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I thought it was OK. Can't remember too many good superhero movies.

Blade

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Watched Logan. It's a good movie but I didn't liked the end fighty stuff and who he was fighting. Also i can't shake off the feeling that the movie needs at least one more hour of playtime.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Blade

I'd argue that most superhero movies that came out in the past few years were good, with a few exceptions. They're not high-brow entertainment of course - but eh, neither was Blade (I love the series, yeah, even the second one). I'm not sure I'd rate any of them as great* movies and I doubt any of them will go down in history except for being amongst the highest grossing movies of all time.

But even the most forgettable Marvel MCU fare these days is competently made. While I found much of it to be completely forgettable (like Iron Man 2 or Thor) they are arguably well made - good - movies. Especially when compared to other blockbuster summer movie crap that happens to be around, like Transformers or any number of Roland Emmerich films.

* I suppose Logan comes as close to great as mainstream comic book movies can. Of course there are always films like Birdman or Super, but those weren't based on existing comic books. Nor were they really superhero movies per se. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This article is committing the mistake of running along with a provocateur's take on his own art and methods. The "rape" scene described by Jodorowsky wasn't a rape since it was, after all, consensual, no matter how aggressive it was according to his (questionable, I'll add) anecdote (also the bit of a female character accepting the "male sex" is much more related to hermaphroditism, the chemical wedding and other forms of Jung's confrontation with the animus than one of "male dominance" as understood in a contemporary gender identity-type sense). El topo was made at the height of the Panic Movement and as is expected with the genre, mixed surrealism with shock tactics and performance art to deliberately provoke extreme emotions and reactions on its audience, and was partly made in protest to surrealism's entry into the mainstream. In other interviews Jodorowsky has mentioned how to him the sublime in cinema was reached by creating an image that would burn into your mind so as to become truly unforgettable, and used Takashi Miike - Visitor Q as a more specific film of his - as an example of what he referred to. Mind that I'm not that big a fan of Jodorowsky and I disagree with many aspects of his vision (also have many qualms with his notions of psicomagia and his reading of Tarot), but I do think the above article sins the way many pop readings into the works of the more esoteric auteurs do in that they do not take the time to understand the context or the intention behind what they speak of, and take the statement or expression in its most literal form, often to the point of misinterpretation or, as is the case with Jodorowsky above, playing right into their hands by feeding their desire for controversy.

I'll also add that regardless of whether Dune would become a great film or not, I would have loved to see it get made. One point I do agree on with Jodorowsky: an adaptation in any source that is only made to be "faithful" to its source is bound to be a lesser version of its original; I'd much rather see Jodorowsky "rape" Herbert and make Dune as he envisions it than see it adapted into a rigorously exact version for purism's sake, as at least the latter has a *chance* (if no guarantee) to be a masterpiece in its own right.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Blade

I'd argue that most superhero movies that came out in the past few years were good, with a few exceptions. They're not high-brow entertainment of course - but eh, neither was Blade (I love the series, yeah, even the second one). I'm not sure I'd rate any of them as great* movies and I doubt any of them will go down in history except for being amongst the highest grossing movies of all time.

But even the most forgettable Marvel MCU fare these days is competently made. While I found much of it to be completely forgettable (like Iron Man 2 or Thor) they are arguably well made - good - movies. Especially when compared to other blockbuster summer movie crap that happens to be around, like Transformers or any number of Roland Emmerich films.

* I suppose Logan comes as close to great as mainstream comic book movies can. Of course there are always films like Birdman or Super, but those weren't based on existing comic books. Nor were they really superhero movies per se. :)

My view is probably screwed, I just can't stand 'super hero' movies. And I am not fan of comics neither. But I liked Blade because it was decently down to earth (well except for ending) set in believable word and pure action. Heck I din't knew it was made based on comic and that for me i testament to decent movie. I mean imagine that you never seen any comic book and you realise in 10 minutes into movie its another fairy tale based on comics. Boring

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Blade

Mostly they are boring products. They are Pirates of the Caribbean 9, Guardians of the Galaxy 14. Nothing even remotely interesting going on because you need that PG13 rating. There are so many good graphic novels to chose from and we get Marvel paste used to make the same cookies with slightly different taste. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I actually liked Ant-Man, because it felt somewhat different than most of the comic book movies.

Doctor Strange was ok-ish, but still gave me the exact same feeling as any other Marvel movie, even though someone once told me in here how Marvel movies all have a different genre they cater to. :>

I think the worst offender is always the "boss battle". The moment i notice we're heading for it and when it's going on, the movie usually lost me. Doesn't matter if Avengers, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man or Logan.. the moment the film switches to "we have to show sum awsum fightings now!" it all becomes the same.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."