I don't understand the workbench

I've been googling it and reading the in game description and I just don't get it at all. It makes no sense to me.

How do I create an item on it? Do I need all the items listed? Why are some greyed out?

Please I'm starting to regret getting this game because everything is so vague that I feel stupid trying to figure it out. I just want to create an item

• Like 1

Pretty sure the workbench is a metaphor for life, which I don't understand either ... it makes no sense why everything is grayed out for me, but not for my friends.

In this game, however, all you have to do is adventure through space and find stuff and put them together on the workbench. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I still don't get how to make a lightsaber.

I'm past the academy place, on the ship.

Partner says "talk to me to make a lightsaber" but keeps saying I need a matrix thing and a lens (Sorry I can't remember all the names of everything), but when I check my inventory I have both of those things. I have at least one of each thing so it doesn't make sense to me

is my game broken? the file corrupt? I'm playing on a mac I got the full content mod and all that and it seems impossible to make a lightsaber. I'm starting to hate this game 

• 2 weeks later...

No, your game isn't borken. It takes a while to get a lightsaber. You can produce a different kind of matrix and lens at a workshop, but neither of these are what your 'partner' Bao-Dur are refering to, when he talks about what you need. The items you need will either be sold through vendors, or more likely, dropped when fighting and defeating lightsaber wielders.

I'll be quite a few levels before you get your lightsaber and the items will be quest items (so not in your general inventory), most likely you won't have them all until after vising your 2nd planet, depending on how you do them. So a few hours of gaming more.

There are several online guides on how to get a lightsaber as quickly as possible, so if that's a must for you, check them out.

Pretty sure the workbench is a metaphor for life, which I don't understand either ... it makes no sense why everything is grayed out for me, but not for my friends.

In this game, however, all you have to do is adventure through space and find stuff and put them together on the workbench. 

Things are greyed out, if you don't have the appropriate skill level to make certain items. Which why your companions can produce items you can not, often cheaper too, if they are more skilled.

If you want your character to be the main producer of items, roll as a sentinel with high intelligence - as they get the most skills pr lvl

Fortune favors the bald.