GOTY 2016

Katphood

So I just saw this:

...and I was wondering which game(s) you enjoyed the most in 2016.

Me? Gotta say, despite the not so good multiplayer, DOOM was the game I had the most fun with this year. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I still haven't played perhaps the "big three" titles that perhaps would normally be my top contenders this year, and I doubt there's enough time left in the year to give each of them a fair shake. Those games are Mankind Divided, Civilization 6, and Dishonored 2. In the absence of those games, the title would technically default to Stardew Valley but that probably doesn't reflect my real opinion of it. So uh, yeah, I'll award 2016 GOTY sometime next year I guess.

Previous award winners:

2015 - The Witcher 3

2014 - No award, worst year for new games in living memory

2013 - Monaco

2012 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2011 - The Witcher 2

2010 - Fallout New Vegas

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Uncharted 4 is my current GOTY. But I have high hopes for The Last Guardian.

I'm actually kind of disappointed with my own choice, frankly. No doubt it's deserving, but I wish there was at least some competition. The only other two contenders I had in mind turned out to be released in 2015.

I guess I can give Blood and Wine second place for now, at least. A DLC. Tyranny get third.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hmm, in no particular order

Tyranny
Civ6
XCOM2

Honorable mention goes to NBA2k17. It becomes a better RPG every year

For some reason I've still not been tempted to pick up Deus Ex Dos even though I loved the first one

Forgot about Stellaris

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

3) Blood and Wine sits over here. It might be a DLC, but it's as large as most triple A releases, so screw that.

1) DOOM, because Mick 'God' Gordon and they named him ... The Doom Slayer.

2) Dishonored 2, because in spite of technical issues, the game's utterly brilliant. It ended up being worse than the first game, nonetheless it brought some interesting gimmicks that impressed me quite a bit.

Edit: Know what, I'm gonna let politics influence me: They removed Denuvo from DOOM, they did not remove Denuvo from Dishonored 2. DOOM therefore gets the first place. Take that, Bethesda, that'll show you!

Edit2: As soon as Bethesda changes their minds and removes Denuvo from Dishonored 2, I'm not going to edit this post as at that point I'll have completely forgotten about it. That's ... Motivation I ... Guess.

Edit3: Wait, DOOM is also by Bethesda. Hm. There, that's much better.

Edited by Fenixp

Dishonored 2, easy! A fantastic game!! :yes:

Civ6 is really nice, but it has nothing on Dishonored 2.

My early access to Torment: Tides of Numenera felt promising, but that's just me plugging for a game that won't be released until Feb 28.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

When are they done carving up that game so I can get the whole thing. I'm not going to buy one level for 7,99 that's retarded. 

You'd be surprised. Each level is laden with content. It's actually a little overwhelming at first. You can also buy the first season in its entirety now, which is very definitely a full games worth. Give it a shot!

Is there a way in Steam to see how many hours I've played certain games this year? Because right now I'm pretty sure New Vegas would win again, maybe closely behind ArmA3.

I don't even remember any big game from 2016. Maybe The Division (somewhat) or Dark Souls 3, but I played none of these games extremely long.

Oh wait, there is MGS5. I guess that's as close to my top game of 2016 as it can get.

/Edit: Holy ****, MGS5 actually was released in 2015. So nevermind that then, I guess.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Undertale is my game of the year. Technically, it came out in 2015, but I played it this summer: nothing else gets even within striking distance for me.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Undertale is my game of the year. Technically, it came out in 2015, but I played it this summer: nothing else gets even within striking distance for me.

If we can cheat like that, Undertale is mine, too.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Underrail for me, although technically it came out at the end of 2015. Brilliant game. Also I liked Technomancer and Dungeon Rats. Generally I'm years behind on when I start new games, just started Witcher 3 now.

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan