I posted this in a thread in General forum but I think this is probably a better place...

Finally gonna play the game, seems stable and a good time to do it. I like to mix RP with my mechanics so I usually don't hardcore min/max (10s). I want to be a slightly more damage orientated Pally and I'm going for a Pale elf, Paladin (Kind Wayfarers), The White that Wends - Explorer and was thinking these stats:

Mig 14 Dex 10 Con 10 Per 14 Int 14 Res 16 <-- Leaning towards this one.

Mig 14 Dex 10 Con 10 Per 15 Int 14 Res 15 <-- Is +stat gear common enough to get 16s out of those 15s for dialog?

Mig 14 Dex 10 Con 10 Per 15 Int 13 Res 16 <- Int at 13, is that ok?

Mig 16 Dex 10 Con 10 Per 15 Int 12 Res 16

I am a little concerned I'll miss some of the dialog options with the 14s. I like RP choices.

Also should I turn off companion auto-level? Or should I just let them be leveled up when we meet? I'm leaning toward turning auto-level off.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by AstroCat

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Whilst I can't tell you how to play, I would strongly advise against designing a build specifically to try to unlock all attribute based dialogue options. As someone who also likes RP choices I completely understand why you want to, but having played through the game several times now I can tell you that in the vast majority of cases all they make any real difference to the dialogue. It's not even uncommon to have an NPC reply with exactly the same line to an attribute locked dialogue option as they do to a generic dialogue option. In other cases they will have a unique reply but then immediately return to the standard dialogue tree, sometimes in a slightly jarring fashion.

Now there are quests which can be resolved in a "better" way through attribute locked dialogue options, but in most the cases I can remember they have multiple different attribute solutions, so you might have one which can be solved by being clever (Intellect) or noticing something important (Perception), so as long as one of either Intellect or Perception is high enough you can solve them. Also there is often a non-attribute locked method of getting the better resolution to the quest, either through being more careful in your dialogue choices, or through having done something else before hand (e.g. found a quest related note which gives you the required information).

Personally, if I was going for a more damage orientated Paladin I'd go with the following:

Mig 18 Con 8 Dex 10 Per 16 Int 16 Res 10

In fact, I did roll with this exact attribute spread a few runs back. If you don't like reducing attributes below 10 then I'd go with Con 10 and Per 14. For a damage dealing Paladin Might and Intellect are, in my opinion, the two most important attributes (you could swap them around if you preferred). This build will still fulfil the role of secondary tank very well, since Paladin's are naturally very tanky, and in fact I'd say that for anything but a main tank Paladin raising Resolve above 10 is a waste.

Note that this Paladin was designed to use Two-Handed Swords, in particular a unique one which is available fairly early into the game if you know where to look, but is also easily missed if you don't (not sure how you feel about spoilers so I won't specify more than that). The build is designed around the Paladin getting last hits to proc Strange mercy, and later on it will (like basically all Paladins) make use of Sacred Immolation.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and I totally get what you are saying. I think I might try: Mig 14 Dex 10 Con 10 Per 14 Int 14 Res 16 I know not as good Might and bit more "tanky" but I think it might give me a few more jack of all trades type options, I probably will only have time for one "try and do it all" play through.

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

There are both items and other ways to increase attributes, so it's not a big deal. For instance, you can increase Perception by 3 if you sleep a certain place. Basically every inn have various attribute bonuses if you sleep there, though it costs a little. You can also enchant your gear to give +2 in an attribute, though you need a few levels and expensive ingredients to do it. For some reason I never wind up doing this, because there are items that buff you, and I can never make up my mind (because you can't undo that kind of enchantment).

If you for some reason are deeply upset with your character, you can always pay to rebuild him in an inn. Essentially he is reset, and you can rebuild him again from level 1, and pick abilities and such anew. For the main character (and probably adventurers you create), I believe you can redistribute attribute points as well.

It's untraditional, but I'm using the NPC Paladin as a pistol shooter, with a unique ability that makes her shoot off five orbs against a marked enemy. It's pretty cool. That will usually either insta-kill or bring the target to "Near death". You don't need a pistol for that btw, but as it has a pretty solid base damage, a paladin's flames of whatever-it's-called will add a bunch of fire damage on top.

I prefer to have most dialogue options unlocked as well, hard not to after having played and adored Planescape Torment, but this time I'm playing with a guy without very high attributes for the typical dialogue options. Still, you qualify for a good bit of them just by having for instance 14 Perception. And it's not difficult to buff it further to 16-17.

Edited by PangaeaACDC

It is very difficult to succeed at all checks.  Remember, there are also physical checks (that use STR/CON/DEX), though I think some of them can be done by companions, and also ones that use skills (Lore, Survival, Athletics, etc).  It is not practical to be good at everything, and in someways I think it is less fun from a RP perspective, since a good character has both strengths and weaknesses.

You can't really mess up stats in this game; particularly with a paladin.  I think it is a lot more tempting to min-max a character that always stands far from the heat of combat, firing a long bow or wand.  They don't really need any of the defensive stats, but a paladin benefits a lot from every stat so you can't really go wrong.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply and I totally get what you are saying. I think I might try: Mig 14 Dex 10 Con 10 Per 14 Int 14 Res 16 I know not as good Might and bit more "tanky" but I think it might give me a few more jack of all trades type options, I probably will only have time for one "try and do it all" play through.

Sure, no worries. As Grimnir said in your other thread, and Braven in this, you can't really go wrong with attributes in PoE. So definitely go for whatever you feel will be most fun.

It is not practical to be good at everything, and in someways I think it is less fun from a RP perspective, since a good character has both strengths and weaknesses.

That tends to be my position on the issue and this makes it easier for me to focus on one or two dialogue attributes. That said, I can understand someone not liking the restrictions of what the attributes govern.

I like going for either the Resolve dialogue or the Intellect. The resolve involves a guy with a lot of conviction who does the right thing not the easy thing. The Intellect guy is more like a rules lawyer looking for the clever loophole that skewers the bad guys deception. I have trouble having a guy who can do both, just doesn't make sense to me.

I've taken a PotD Island Aumaua Kind Wayfarer through with Might 18, Con 10, dex 10, Per 15, Int 10, and Res 15 wielding two handed swords and two arquebus for FoD. He did great even with a ten intellect. With the casserole and an item you'll have 14 Intellect all the time which is plenty for aura range and the higher Might can handle your heals. The team was mainly melee so everyone stayed close together anyway so auras were fine.