So, I've maybe played pillars of eternity for 40 hours now, which is a lot. I'm really enjoying the game, but I can't seem to find a main character class I want to stick with. I've played a bunch so far, but I keep restarting. Anyways, I wanted to ask the community for some help.

I'm leaning towards a more active type of class, with lots of versatility. I don't want to autoattack the entire fight. I've played with every class except the fighter, the chanter, and the paladin. I'm looking for a sort of nuking class that can do tons of damage to the enemy. I also want to mention that the cipher seems fun, but when I play mine he just feels kind of awkward.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who replies and helps me out with my issue.

I might have to take a closer look. I was playing around with one, I got him to level 7, but it didn't feel like I was doing that much damage. Then again, I probably wasn't using the right spells and I had a weird build that I made myself. Thanks for responding :)

I might have to take a closer look. I was playing around with one, I got him to level 7, but it didn't feel like I was doing that much damage. Then again, I probably wasn't using the right spells and I had a weird build that I made myself. Thanks for responding :)

Did you look at your character sheet (hit 'c' to see it)? In the right pane, you can see either your party stats (including who has done the most damage, killed the most powerful enemy etc.) or your personal stats by clicking at the top. It will give you all of the information about how much damage you've dealt (and taken).

Characters who need micromanagement and are versatile while having the ability to nuke are monks, melee ciphers, melee wizards and shapeshifting druids. The monk has an ability called "The Long Pain" which makes him extremely versatile because it lets him use his abilities in ranged and melee combat, while tho othes have nice spells/abilities/talents for melee as well as for ranged damage.

Most fun for me are the monk and the melee wizard. Even a melee priest is fun, but he needs more time to bloom. With the exception of the monk all these chars have in common that they start a bit weak but grow very powerful after some levels because they are spell dependent. You need levels for more spells or more focus. The monk starts strong and keeps being strong - although he has no spells to add, but his abilities make up for this.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It maybe a little cheezy but check these items for druid - heart of the storm, wildstrick shock - and greater, and druid shock spells. I am always shocked at how much melee damage druids cause when in shapeshift with wildstrick and associated utility talent with a certain belt and then you still have other crazy powerful aoe nuke spells. Druids are not my favorite class i prefer rangers for the mico, coordination, and movement (especially melee rangers) but druids always seemed really powerful you can also switch up druid abilities i mentioned up above to all fire (Scion of Flame, wildstrick butn - and greater burn and druid fire spells) also druid shapeshift uses unarmed combat so there is talents like peasant and talents that increase damage like sneak attack. As far as the nuking part i always found them kinda ridiculous. And even if you choose a particular element like shock or burn or whatever lots of there other spells are still useful for nuking. 

Edited by jnb0364

Druid = no. 1 single target melee damage dealer via shapeshift (NOT rogue) and also great at doing AoE damage via spells. CC is also very good. Great class, not my personal favorite though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Druids actually are a lot of fun, because they can deal some serious damage with spells, and also  go toe-to-toe if you fancy shapeshifting.

I'd like to put in a word for the fighter though. It sounds boring, but in this game you have knock downs and various other abilities that turn them into more of an active class. My current main character is a dual wielding fighter (with war hammers), and he can deal out some very, very serious blows. It's a lot of fun to see him smack through enemies.

Ye personally i like rangers the best lots of versatile builds will any weapon and can do some serious single target dps and some group cc with with bows. I actually like melee rangers the best dual or two handed lots of fun. i was just trying to think of class that can nuke enemies that is why i gave the druid info.

Relentless Storm and Plague of Insects are pretty good spells.