I still think of KOTOR 3, and you? : )

theBalthazar

Hello guys,

I love KOTOR 1 and 2 and I am frustrated that the third one has never been born.

And you ?

Do you think this game will come out one day?

Besides who has the rights of this game?

I read the book Revan, and it would be great to have it in video game.

Edited by theBalthazar

I don't think there's any real chance of it being made. Disney hasn't shown any interest in doing more for the Legends continuity.

I also think SWTOR and the novels have killed off most plot threads a KOTOR 3 would have addressed.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Personnaly, I think the story is not totally finished.

SWTOR is not the third game. SWTOR don't tell the end of the story of Revan and Exile. (In contrary of the (Litigious?) book of Drew Karpyshyn, Revan, 2011)

It is so Mass effect 3 = SWTOR, and there is no Shepard ! It makes absolutely no sense....^^

So, it is Disney who have the rights of KOTOR ? (All the games on Star wars ?)

EDIT :

I don't understand why there is no interrest of Disney.

- Mass effect is a best seller. A KOTOR with better graphics = win.

- Bioware + Obsidian = epic win.

- Story in gold.

- All the medias says it is the best saga star wars ever made.

- Profitability virtually assured.

- Everyone who played to the two first WANTS the end of the story. In video-game. Everyone want two choices : kill the final boss (good ending) or perpetrate the story of the book (bad canon-ending).

Edited by theBalthazar

EA has the right to all Star Wars games now, don't know if they bought them or are just licensing from Disney. Therefore I suspect Bioware could still make K3 once they can no longer milk TOR, not that I expect anything good to come out of Bio these days.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Probably not going to happen, more likely we get Knights of the New Republic or something in the vein of the new Battlefront when SWTOR finally gets the plug pulled.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think they've said that TOR is supposed to basically serve as KOTOR 3-7 or so. That said, is there not a 3 millennium gap between the KOTOR series and Yavin? Just like with 40K, there's a huge time period between established events people can create their own stories in that sadly goes underutilised.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

KOTOR 3-7 or so

It is a commercial argument. It is a... false argument.

For me, a KOTOR 3 game is the end of the story, with interpretation of Revan, The Exile (main character ?), and/or eventually a new main character to accompany to two first heroes.

In SWTOR, Revan is a part of background, it is all. It is not the direct result of KOTOR 2. (300 years after guys...)

Edited by theBalthazar

TOR does end Revan's story* unless they plan to have us kill him a third time and the Exile is already dead, I'm assuming in some poorly written book, as they show up as a force ghost in the game. 

They could still do another Star Wars RPG but I don't see it being KOTOR 3

*I thought it was ended pretty poorly too, seems like they just wasted the characters on poorly conceived plots

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

SWTOR is not canon. (thanks/blame? disney)

Neither is KOTOR 1 and 2.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Neither is KOTOR 1 and 2. 

KOTOR 1 and 2 share the same and directly universe. (Tale ? When you finish KOTOR 2, what did you expect dude ? You WANT to know where the Exile go (in a close temporality. Not skip 300 years!^^)

KOTOR 1, 2 and SWTOR share a larger universe, and yes, none of them are "canon", I recognize that.

Edited by theBalthazar

*I thought it was ended pretty poorly too, seems like they just wasted the characters on poorly conceived plots

Haha, not just the plot. The raid was bugged at release (no loot). As was the solo instance (unkillable Revan). So much fail...

re: KotOR 3. Just give us a SW RPG about whatever. Or better yet, a new Jedi Knight game.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

TOR is what we have, and they wrapped up the Revan storyline, regardless of people liked it. I doubt they will try for a reboot anytime soon.

I am actually glad TOR has moved away from the KotOR stuff. The Eternal Empire stories have been a good deal more engaging as a single player rpg experience. They also made the emperor somewhat more interesting.

But yeah, play through the 8 TOR storylines. It is rigged so you can just do story mossions now instead of grinding through side missions.

EA has the right to all Star Wars games now, don't know if they bought them or are just licensing from Disney. Therefore I suspect Bioware could still make K3 once they can no longer milk TOR, not that I expect anything good to come out of Bio these days.

Licensed. It's a limited license too, don't think that mobile or (current) movie tie ins are included nor pre-existing agreements, hence things like Lego Force Awakens from WB rather than EA and no TFA tie in game from EA.

A new Kotor would have to come from EA though. At this point I'd just expect new games (or perhaps remakes), TOR and the Revan novel muddy the waters too much and would have to be either incorporated or fully and permanently invalidated. On the positive side there are certainly people quite high up who do know and care about the Kotors, SW Rebels last season used Malachor (and a variant of the Trayus Academy no less) as their finale location.

Personnaly, I have no problems with SWTOR. There are cool stories. Very complementary to KOTOR.

But a MMORPG is different from a RPG.

I have a problem with the fact of "entity of trilogy solo" KOTOR, wich is not completed (It's a fact : take a look to the end of KOTOR 2. It is the same cliffhanger than episode IV... Without episode 6 in our case !!).

I agree with the idea to extend the story after the evement at.... *little spoil* Dromund Kaas.

But... After, not before. To conclude the solo adventure. It is simply logical.

Edited by theBalthazar

I feel I should also point out that TOR seems to be doing quite well financially.  There is no real evidence that it will be shutting down anytime soon.  It may not have found the goldmine that WoW managed to unlock, but it seems like it has settled into a decent sized player-base that should sustain it for years to come.    

I feel I should also point out that TOR seems to be doing quite well financially.  There is no real evidence that it will be shutting down anytime soon.  It may not have found the goldmine that WoW managed to unlock, but it seems like it has settled into a decent sized player-base that should sustain it for years to come.    

I admit that I'm not the most objective guy on the subject, but they hailed KotFE as "omg the most successful expansion evar", while the last 10-Q filing actually reported a 1% decrease in net subscription revenue. This is after they had announced KotET ("more of the same"), I think. Not likely to tank anytime soon, but not exactly in great shape either. Take that as you will.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well the fact that the expansions all just funnel all classes into the same path regardless of suitability is kinda testament to that. The game remains profitable but not profitable enough to dedicate more than a skeleton crew to maintain it. No longer having to cater to eight different classes, forty different companions (they've completely written most of them out of the game), no new endgame content, it's basically just doing to minimum amount of work to still qualify as an "actively developed" game.

I don't mind SWTOR, systems-wise it's pretty crappy but then so were the KoTOR games in hindsight. The storytelling is somewhat constrained by MMO conventions but I find it only rarely impacts in a genuinely stupid way (infamously so with the one traitorous companion character the game forced you to accept back into your party). The important thing is that it did one thing no other MMO did, allow you to shape your player character's personality beyond being a doormat to be bossed around by questgivers. I've been experimenting with the Secret World since it was in a recent Humble Bundle, but for a supposedly story-driven MMO, the player character may as well be a generic henchmen, they have no personality.

I guess the thing is, I never really rated KoTOR all that highly. I don't like Star Wars, but I tolerate it when a decent game is built around it (which can be said of any intellectual property really). At the time I found the mechanics acceptable (I wouldn't for a new release game today) and the characters were okay, but mostly I liked the ability for my characters to express themselves in a way that mattered. Thing is, you can do that kind of thing in what basically amounts as a choose-your-own-adventure book. More than a decade later and I can say I feel the same thing of the likes of Tyranny.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

During the closed SW:TOR beta it was possible for Sith warriors to actually kill Quinn for his betrayal, much like imperial agents could kill Kaliyo for hers.

Bioware changed that due to massive whining when players killed their tanks and healers and realized they screwed themselves pretty hard (the original leveling experience was a good deal harder than what we have now, after all). For the very same reason dark side Jedi knights also get the title "Master" even tough Bastila Satele refuses to make them one. In the early versions of the game, players would get "General" instead. Cue whining.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah I actually read up on a full-spoiler summary of the new expansion since I'm unlikely to play it anytime soon. Apparently you can now kill a number of companions during the course of it, but they will remain usable outside of the story, i.e. they're dead in terms of the story but you can still summon them during normal gameplay.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G