AMD Ryzen

Keyrock

If this can't buy **** madness goes on much longer I may consider getting a 3600 on the cheap as a stopgap, then just getting a 5900XT when the inevitable refresh comes out in 6 to 8 months, assuming this planet isn't a smoldering, lifeless husk by then.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

23 minutes ago, Sarex said:

That is a lot to assume.

Zen 4 isn't coming out until early 2022, and that's if there are no delays. AMD will surely put out some kind of chip next year, possibly Zen 3+, but more likely a Zen 3 refresh. As far as the planet not becoming a smoldering, lifeless husk... if it does I'll be dead, so it won't matter.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They're just teasing me at this point. I had a 5900X in my cart today at AMD.com. It took me nearly 10 minutes to get the cart to open up then to get to payment info. Entered the info then tried for 15 minutes to process before AMD.com essentially gave me the middle finger.

I've been building rigs for over 25 years, never have I encountered a situation where I want to give companies my money and I can't buy anything. Maybe one part I wanted was out of stock for like a week, two tops, but EVERYTHING out of stock for MONTHS? Bonkers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

21 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

They're just teasing me at this point. I had a 5900X in my cart today at AMD.com. It took me nearly 10 minutes to get the cart to open up then to get to payment info. Entered the info then tried for 15 minutes to process before AMD.com essentially gave me the middle finger.

I've been building rigs for over 25 years, never have I encountered a situation where I want to give companies my money and I can't buy anything. Maybe one part I wanted was out of stock for like a week, two tops, but EVERYTHING out of stock for MONTHS? Bonkers.

You have my sympathies, I'm just waiting for a GPU. I feel worse for my friend that is sitting on my old 7970 and is waiting for my Vega 64 so that he can play Cyberpunk 2077

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

And here I was waiting on the 5950x, the mf priced it at 1100 euros... Yeah, that's a big nope from me. Guess that decided it for me, I'm getting a 5900x.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

56 minutes ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I am about 400th in the queue with expected fulfilment 22nd December.

At least you are in a queue. I wish AMD or Amazon or Newegg would do a queue like EVGA does. Even if it would wind up being that I'd be waiting for 2 or 3 months, at least I wouldn't have to go through the bull**** of rushing over to a site and clicking "Buy Now" like a madman again and again.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I managed to snag a 5800X off Amazon. Initially I targeted a 5900X, then talked myself into 5950X, then came to my senses and targeted 5900X again, then ultimately bought the 5800X because, well, because I was actually able to get one at MSRP. It's still a MASSIVE  performance jump from my i7-4790K. and if I'm feeling core envy later I'll just sell it and pick up a 5900 XT when the inevitable refresh launches shortly after the Rocket Lake announcement (you know it's coming).

More importantly, I now have an actual complete rig... well, not in hand, it's still theoretical, but it's more real than it was a few days ago when I didn't even have a CPU and GPU ordered, so... baby steps. I'll write a new post in the specs thread once I physically have everything.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I wasn't going to OC a 5950X or a 5900X, but I will try to OC the 5800X. The reason being that, for gaming, most of the time and all-core overclock is counterproductive unless you can OC it up to single core max boost speed, or at least within 100 MHz or so. Zero chance I was going to be able to OC a 5950X to 4.9 GHz all-core. I was probably not going to get 4.8 GHz on a 5900X. Getting 4.7 GHz on a 5800X is definitely possible on water cooling, 4.8 is not out of the question.

Now, excuse me while I prepare the altar for the sacrifices I'll be making to the Silicon Lottery Gods. :-

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

53 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

8 Cores, 16 Threads appears to be the sweet spot, from my personal experience.  I can't imagine needing more than that right now unless you have super heavy workloads on your PC, or Cinebench is your favorite game. :lol:

For gaming, absolutely. Right now, 6c/12t is plenty. I do think eventually 6 core chips will fall behind a bit as games are increasingly optimized for the new 8c/16t consoles.

I do some video editing and encoding, 12 or 16 cores would be of benefit there for sure, but it's not something I do constantly and the 5800X won't exactly struggle, especially not compared to my aging (it served me well) Haswell.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-patent-shows-CPU-FPGA-integration

Seems Dr. Lisa Su is quick to put AMD's acquisition of XILINX to use. There is definite potential for significant performance gains from FPGAs integrated into a CPU. I wouldn't expect to see this in Zen 4 as that architecture is probably already too far along, but perhaps Zen 5?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That was a brutally boring corporate circle jerk of a keynote, even by corporate circle jerk standards. The takeaway is mobile Zen 3 in Q1 and more RDNA2 desktop cards and RDNA2 mobile coming H1, no specifics given. Also, new EPYC chips coming, again, no specifics. Pretty much a waste of an hour. I did get a chuckle out of the Not Mass Effect music at the beginning.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Not exactly unexpected though. They've already got a lot of announced or implied products that they simply cannot make at the moment due to capacity issues, and it's too early for talk about Zen4 or RDNA3. Some of the other things they could have talked about like non X desktop Ryzen would be interesting for consumers, but pointless for AMD. They're already selling every 5600X produced, there's no point having a 5600 non X that costs the same to make but sells for less and won't increase sales. Similarly, not much point talking about 5000 series threadripper when they can sell the same chiplet for more as Epyc, and 3000 series already brutally murders Intel's offerings in HEDT. Bad timing for a keynote address, really.

We've been a bit spoiled by AMD's meme presentations in the past couple of years, they can't have bar graphs using 3x 10m screens to show performance every time.

They're putting Xs at the end of mobile SKUs now because it's well known that putting an X on something adds at least 5% performance, kind of how a racing stripe on a car adds a minimum of 20 horsepower. That's probably why Microsoft uses so many Xs in their console names.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 4 months later...

The vertical cache announcement is interesting since it will allow AMD to greatly increase the amount of cache in future CPUs. They're stacking the cache copper to copper, so there really shouldn't be much, if any, added latency. Some apps, including some games, will gobble up as much cache as is available to them and translate that into tangible performance gains. 

This sounds like it could be ready for a Zen3+ early next year. If not, it's a fairly safe bet we'll see it in Zen4, whenever that comes out (late 2022 if I had to guess). If nothing else, this shows AMD aren't sitting on their hands while they're ahead.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸