On the subject of deity specific talents (priest)

For a time, I have been pondering the use and usefulness of these talents.

While they all provide a substantial boost to accuracy, only one provides any additional benefit to using the deity specific weapons whilst the others provide very minor once/rest spells. Hope Eternal, in particular, is a real disappointment given that it does not scale whatsoever.

This has set me on my opinion that the Skaen specific talent is the gold-standard among them. In addition to providing accuracy with thematically appropriate weapons, it also provides a thematically appropriate boost to utilizing them. I wonder why it is the other talents deviate so far from this formula?

Wael, for example provides a dazing ability where it could well have been worked to provide a daze (acc vs. will, probably) on hit. Magran might well have provided a minor fire lash (the 10% lash used on torches could be copypasta'd to save coding time) instead of the diet flameburst thing which had to be modified from the original.

My issue with the bonus spells is that they clutter the interface, and for a full vancian caster add little to utility. (exhausting all spells is a rare event)

Criticism with love. Great game. Thoughts for PoE2.

Edited by Cirein
  • Like 1

Hope eternal : hope until you get your lvl 8 Eotas spell.

Eotas talent is indeed lame. But his ultimate spell is the best.

Skaen talent might be the best. I had a Skaen priest in my last party. However, at high level, you will barely swing your weapon from time to times, when battle is already won. Priest talent are eventually irrelevant.

Edited by Elric Galad

having played effective melee priests o' eothas, wael, and skaen, am gonna heartily disagree with the suggestion o' diminishing utility o' the weapon-focus aspect o' the deity specific talents. if you wanna be a priest who gets his hair mussed a bit by entering combat with a weapon, you can do so... but the only way you are gonna be genuine effective is with the benefit o' the deity specific talent.  

converse, the minor spell casting perk many o' the deity specific talents provide do not scale well with the game.  a priest can do big and consistent damage with weapons late in the game, but the time it takes to cast the watered down deity specific spells is rare worth the effort to do so, particularly as one levels.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

given how slow is the reload on the arquebus, the difference 'tween 9 dex and say 14 dex would be largely unnoticeable in all but the longest battles o' the game. nevertheless, would still be a fine alpha-strike weapon. and can always opt for sword and shield if the dex is too onerous for you.

for us, the curious thing were giving durance potential one o' the best staves in the game.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 3 weeks later...

That is indeed one of the most inexplicable decisions the designers/devs made.

Durance's staff would be the best quarterstaff in the game if the devs would finally change crush/burn into burn/crush.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods