Dual weilding 0 recovery Lady of pain varient lf POTD group to somewhat carry here, will give hugs for work.

I really shouldn't type when I've no sleep. "LF POTD group to somewhat carry HER"****

Posed this question on reddit and to a few people smarter than be but wanted to see what the general public of these forums take on this is;

My quick cut and paste question I posed to reddit;

doing lots of reading about POTD group makeup, the crutch is I want to try a dual wielding warrior with "for fun" abilities so hes gonna have to be carried a bit. Possibly a version of the lady of pain 0 recovery build. I really just want to use Charge, into the fray, KD, clear out and other fun abilities even though he wont be perfect.
Was thinking;

1 the Fighter, 2x war hammers and as many for fun abilities I can squeeze into the Lady of pain build without feeling weak. 
2 Tankadin, Main tank, cant decide if it will purely tank, tank and buff, tank and heal. Which do you think is best?
3 OT Priest, Wanted chanter tbh but I can't imagine a group with a priest so making it the OT to maximize spots in the grp. 
4 Ranger, Having the pet and twin arrows just seems sooooo good right now. 
5 Ranged rogue? Like the idea of an "escape" ranged rogue re-positioning when needed, but this spot isn't sold.
6 Blast Wizzie? Seemed Like I really needed aoe and I am trying to avoid druid, Io don't want to rest spam if I can help it, did a melee druid hybrid potd run with companions and although it was fun once I got storms I didn't fall in love with it.

The idea is to have a group that helps the fighter Charge in and whoop ass but not have him do all the work, nor have a team that takes forever to finish fights or drop like a bish. 

Not a fan of splitting enemy groups and cheesing stuff but I don't want an aoe high defense group either, love melee too much for that. The author of Lady of Pain had my exact thoughts, Love single target melee, rogues and shifting druids were too squishy so warrior seems a blast. Can't wait to get it going but really need better theory crafters than I to suggest a group make-up.

Thoughts?
Edited by QuiteGoneJin

I don't think building a Paladin as a pure tank is ever going to be as good as building him in a hybrid tank/support role. There are several good tanky Paladin builds in the build sticky thread.

I think a Chanter will be a lot better as an off-tank buffer than a Priest. Honestly though, you probably don't need a separate off-tank as the Lady of Pain does the job well.

I'd replace the ranged Rogue with a ranged Cipher, but then I really don't like Rogues.

"Pure tanks" in this game - I.e. A char with fully reduced offensive stats in favour of maxing their defensive stats are completely useless now, because the enemies will just zoom right past them in favour of better targets. It's better to have a front line with their offence/defence more balanced to spread aggro out.

That said, extra knockdown and the +knockdown belt might be something to look in to for your fighter, as that should give you four knockdowns which are four full attacks (I.e. Four free offhand attacks with no recovery/wait per fight).

Remember, generally speaking, the advantages of 2H vs dual wield tend to grow the more speed your character can stack. A high might, high int, outlanders frenzy and sanguine plate 2H fighter imo will generally cut through dudes a lot better and can actively provide a support role through consecrated ground and you should be able to attack with the blade of the endless paths at 1.15 * 1.15 * 1.2 * 1.33 = 2.11 recovery mod and use armoured grace for like 1.9 recovery.

Edited by Livegood118

Also echoing Jerek - don't go for a ranged rogue unless you're doing something fancy like Boroer's apprentice build.

Well I mean, if you really like rogues for whatever reason then taking one isn't the end of the world. But I just don't like the way they are implemented in PoE and since they are underpowered I am happy to skip them.

I had a lot of fun with the last paladin I played: Counselor Ploi

Tanky enough and very supportive. He heals, crit-charms enemies (I nearly always crit-charmed dragons with Sworn Enemy) and passively raises the ACC of a single teammate by +26 if he attacks the same enemy. The priest's +30 ACC buffs with Radiance and Devotions stack with this. You can easily switch from Shieldbearer to Kind Wayfarer or Darcozzi. Instead of deflection buffs you will have more healing (maybe focus a bit more on damage/killing) or more ACC

He was superuseful in dragon fights not only because of Sworn-Enemy-charms but also because he would instantly raise his flanking partner's ACC - in my case a fighter with Disciplined Barrage and Knockdown and Tall Grass - so that the fighter could keep the dragon down with prone for the whole fight. He could raise the deflection of the party because of his stacking buffs. And then he can deliver powerful shots with FoD and later have Sacred Immolation. He wasn't the best damage dealer of course, but he made the run so much easier.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I had a lot of fun with the last paladin I played: Counselor Ploi

Tanky enough and very supportive. He heals, crit-charms enemies (I nearly always crit-charmed dragons with Sworn Enemy) and passively raises the ACC of a single teammate by +26 if he attacks the same enemy. The priest's +30 ACC buffs with Radiance and Devotions stack with this. You can easily switch from Shieldbearer to Kind Wayfarer or Darcozzi. Instead of deflection buffs you will have more healing (maybe focus a bit more on damage/killing) or more ACC

He was superuseful in dragon fights not only because of Sworn-Enemy-charms but also because he would instantly raise his flanking partner's ACC - in my case a fighter with Disciplined Barrage and Knockdown and Tall Grass - so that the fighter could keep the dragon down with prone for the whole fight. He could raise the deflection of the party because of his stacking buffs. And then he can deliver powerful shots with FoD and later have Sacred Immolation. He wasn't the best damage dealer of course, but he made the run so much easier.

This is a really great build - one of my favourites from you.

Edited by Livegood118
  • Like 1

Thank you. It was Jojobobo's idea of a paladin diplomat with Sworn Enemy + Munacra Arret that led to that build.   :)

At first I thought Fighters get +5 extra base accuracy and disciplined barrage +20. Clear +10 ACC win compared to paladin.

But Paladins can get +15 ACC boost that would get suppressed by disciplined barrage on fighter (potion or scroll) but stack with sworn enemy  so in fact Paladin can be the better charmer by +5 ACC vs the hated target .  Still if that charm roll would be so important you might want the marking weapon in somebody else's hand to increase the chances by adding the extra +10 ACC. 

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

I would consider picking Disciplined barrage to get maximum benefits from your fun abilities.

Charge + ectopsychic echo from cipher should be fun too. It would basically be a charge that would leave a psychic damage trail.

Avoid AoE spells with friendly fire if you like being in the fray. I would say a wizz might not be ideal for this group.

The top friendly AoE damages class is Chanter (dragom trashed). Your group needs a second tank apart paladin if you want your fighter to live his lives without constraint. I would consider bringing one, perhaps instead of rogue...

Edited by Elric Galad

I used a melee priest (berathian with Tidefall) with focus on maxed MIG in the front line. With Veteran's Recovery and max healing-received-bonuses he was tanky enough after some levels. Of course a chanter can be more sturdy and less micro.   

Actually, just to get back to the discussion at hand:

1 the Fighter, 2x war hammers and as many for fun abilities I can squeeze into the Lady of pain build without feeling weak. 

See my comments above about 2H vs Dual Wield. Particularly in the case of a fighter, I would say 2H is better. If you want to get the most out of dual wield try and get lots of full attack abilities.

2 Tankadin, Main tank, cant decide if it will purely tank, tank and buff, tank and heal. Which do you think is best?

Boroer's Councillor Ploi build is a great mix of offence/defence/support and I'd recommend it in this spot.

3 OT Priest, Wanted chanter tbh but I can't imagine a group with a priest so making it the OT to maximize spots in the grp. 

I'd strongly recommend moving the priest in to the back row and go for a build that focuses on buffing. There's a build for an offensive variant floating around the boards called the unfaithful that seems to be very good as well if you'd prefer a more offence oriented priest. Of course you can go up close with the priest but they're not really D&D clerics.

Normally in this slot I would have single target DPS, but you've already got your fighter who'll do decent damage. Maybe you could do with some consistent AoE damage? Barbarian provides this from the beginning of the game to the end of the game, a Chanter can provide great AoE damage from level 9 and more support and good healing.

4 Ranger, Having the pet and twin arrows just seems sooooo good right now. 

Yeah this is a good spot for the ranger. Focus on getting stormcaller and get all of the talents that give your pet better damage.

5 Ranged rogue? Like the idea of an "escape" ranged rogue re-positioning when needed, but this spot isn't sold.

Eh, ranged Rogue is kind of lacklustre and in the backline is more or less going to be a crap ranger without any of the perks. I'd take a pass.

6 Blast Wizzie? Seemed Like I really needed aoe and I am trying to avoid druid, Io don't want to rest spam if I can help it, did a melee druid hybrid potd run with companions and although it was fun once I got storms I didn't fall in love with it.

You can go for a Blast Wizzie if you want – any Wizzie with decent Dex/Int/Per can lay down effective CC as well, which is what I love the wizard for the most.

So, on what you've said, I would go for this setup

1. Counselor Ploi (Main Tank)
2. Your Fighter (Off Tank, with consecrated ground)
3. Consistent AoE DPS (Barbarian/Chanter)
4. Hunter (Single target DPS)/ Or Cipher (Good dps, extra CC)
5. Wizard (CC)
6. Priest

Rogue with Persistence is actually not bad. He can also set up wounding damage for the ranger's pet with auto-attacks. He's only limited to single target attack.

If you make him a 1 INT superdumb archer the wounding damage will get applied instantly, Runner's Wounding Shot will be the same - and you can still take Deep WOunds because it gets refreshed on hit anyways and doesn't stack. Only Envenomed Strike is not an option then. 

Edited by Boeroer

doing lots of reading about POTD group makeup, the crutch is I want to try a dual wielding warrior with "for fun" abilities so hes gonna have to be carried a bit. Possibly a version of the lady of pain 0 recovery build. I really just want to use Charge, into the fray, KD, clear out and other fun abilities even though he wont be perfect.

I don't really see the issue. Clear Out, Knockdown, and Charge are all great abilities so long as you have decent Intellect. Into the Fray would be pretty good, too, if it wasn't so finicky. That build should do just fine on PotD.

Edited by fiddlesticks