Is there a problem using 6 sided dice in pen and paper games?

slopesandsam

D4s seem just like a way to help sell dice sets. Just toss them in a river and pair up numbers on your D8s.

D4s are for DMs to make a quick escape after a TPK.  Toss a bunch of D4s on the ground so they act as caltrops on the other players while making an escape.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

Fate, FUDGE

I'm not sure I'd really count a FUDGE and Fate as d6 systems, you can a use regular d6 with them in a pinch but they're designed to be used with custom dice.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 3 weeks later...

dungeons and dragons was designed to use 20-sided dice and 2 10-sided dice for percentages (in addition to regular 6-sided dice)

but at the time they could only be bought in sets with 4-sided dice, 8 sided-dice and 12-sided dice

so, in order to justify players buying the whole set and not ending up with useless dice, Dave Arneson created rules using all the different varieties of dice

• 7 months later...

Fate, FUDGE

I'm not sure I'd really count a FUDGE and Fate as d6 systems, you can a use regular d6 with them in a pinch but they're designed to be used with custom dice.

I've never used anything but normal d6 for Fate, and I don't think I've ever seen the custom variety in use. It's pretty trivial for 1/2 to be -1, 3/4 to be 0, and 5/6 to be +1. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but good old Tunnels & Trolls has never used anything but d6 - sometimes great bucketloads of them, but still d6.