Sign in to follow this  
slopesandsam

Is there a problem using 6 sided dice in pen and paper games?

D4s seem just like a way to help sell dice sets. Just toss them in a river and pair up numbers on your D8s.

D4s are for DMs to make a quick escape after a TPK.  Toss a bunch of D4s on the ground so they act as caltrops on the other players while making an escape.

• Like 2

Fate, FUDGE

I'm not sure I'd really count a FUDGE and Fate as d6 systems, you can a use regular d6 with them in a pinch but they're designed to be used with custom dice.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
-H. H. Munro

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

dungeons and dragons was designed to use 20-sided dice and 2 10-sided dice for percentages (in addition to regular 6-sided dice)

but at the time they could only be bought in sets with 4-sided dice, 8 sided-dice and 12-sided dice

so, in order to justify players buying the whole set and not ending up with useless dice, Dave Arneson created rules using all the different varieties of dice

Fate, FUDGE

I'm not sure I'd really count a FUDGE and Fate as d6 systems, you can a use regular d6 with them in a pinch but they're designed to be used with custom dice.

I've never used anything but normal d6 for Fate, and I don't think I've ever seen the custom variety in use. It's pretty trivial for 1/2 to be -1, 3/4 to be 0, and 5/6 to be +1. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but good old Tunnels & Trolls has never used anything but d6 - sometimes great bucketloads of them, but still d6.