Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PotD Solo Run

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, i was so ****y, thinking, the game could not be more cheap.

Remember that the devs specifically stated that they were not balancing the game for solo play. As such it's not really fair to call it cheap for something that wouldn't be a particular issue in party play.

I did not know that, but they put in achievements for solo play or TCS, so it must be possible. Just one item that provides immunity to stun would have done it.

Braven

Braven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 615 posts

There is an armor you can find in the sanatory that halves the duration of stun and prone. And around there are a couple of shield and an helm that gives you + 50 to all defences when stunned or proned.

Yeah i looked it up, there are 2 armors that do that. I used em and i got stunned for 15 seconds xD There is a helmet that does the exact same, but i does not stack or? And the yellow potions seem to lower it 2.

Yeah there are 2 shields, one is little savior, the best shield and you have to fight against vithracks b4 you can get it, so better take the other one, what you find on level 5. I m only concerned about that giant mushroom fight in WM2, there are some vithracks.

Non-shield stun/prone defensive items do not stack with each other (helms, rings, armors).  However, those will stack with a shield because shields are considered "weapons" and weapons stack with everything.  So, for optimal stun/prone protection, use one of the shields (both found in the endless paths) and your choice of other +50 while stun/prone equipment (armor/helm/ring).  That will net you +100 to all defense while stun/prone which usually means that almost everything will miss you completely.  You can just lie on the ground all day long and laugh at your enemies feeble attempts to hit you.

For paralyze, there is a higher level scroll you can craft for immunity or, in the second expansion, there is an item that grants permanent immunity.  I like to get that before a certain high-level bounty full of annoying AOE paralyzing vithracki.

Yeah, i should have known that before i did the vithrak bounty. But it will help me in od nua and the mines.

Helm: He carries many scars +50 defense while stunned

Shield: Ilfan +50 defense while stunned

Armor: Blaidh Golan -50% stun duration

Potion: Potion of Major Recovery -40% hostile effect

This should do it, i hope xD

There is also a helm that provides both +3 STR and +50 defense while stunned which is strictly better.  It is the Helm that you have to find the pieces for in the expansion.  Though you need to direct the previous owners actions the correct way to get the +50 defense enchantment.  I like that one since it is good to wear even when not facing enemies that stun/prone. 

Also, in the Endless Paths, you can come across a nice ring which has +3 DEX and +50 defense while stunned/prone.

Edited by Braven, 19 December 2016 - 02:08 PM.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, i was so ****y, thinking, the game could not be more cheap.

Remember that the devs specifically stated that they were not balancing the game for solo play. As such it's not really fair to call it cheap for something that wouldn't be a particular issue in party play.
I did not know that, but they put in achievements for solo play or TCS, so it must be possible. Just one item that provides immunity to stun would have done it.

"Possible" is different from "easy to do" and so should be.
Anyway with the time you will learn a couple of triks that makes solo run much easier ( how and when avoid useless fights, what are best items, when fight certain enemies, use food, use corner, ecc)

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh it's possible (some people have even completed The Ultimate*), but expect it to be hard work and expect to have to use clever strategies and tricks (some of which may seem cheesy).

*This is an achievement that requires you to complete the game on PotD, Expert, Solo and Trial of Iron mode, and do all the bounties, dragon fights, and thw two archmage fights.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There is also a helm that provides both +3 STR and +50 defense while stunned which is strictly better.  It is the Helm that you have to find the pieces for in the expansion.  Though you need to direct the previous owners actions the correct way to get the +50 defense enchantment.  I like that one since it is good to wear even when not facing enemies that stun/prone. 

Also, in the Endless Paths, you can come across a nice ring which has +3 DEX and +50 defense while stunned/prone.

I'd assume that multiple +50 defence whilst stunned items won't stack (with the exception of Ilfan perhaps?).

Braven

Braven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 615 posts
Correct. Only the shields stack. There is no benefit to having more than one of the others. Rule of thumb is that weapons stack with all other bonuses and shields are considered a type of weapon.

Edited by Braven, 19 December 2016 - 04:43 PM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Correct. Only the shields stack. There is no benefit to having more than one of the others. Rule of thumb is that weapons stack with all other bonuses and shields are considered a type of weapon.

I knew that was the case with attribute bonuses on weapons and non-weapons, but wasn't sure it was the case with other bonuses. I suspect +100 defence whilst stunned is a bit overkill in most situations, although if combined with Defensive Mindweb that would lead to some ridiculous party wide defences.

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Any tipps against llengrath? I don't like this kiting around, is there not a easier method?

/edit Ok nvm, i did it, wasn't that hard after i lured the flying dragon away and killed him. But the green dragon on the ground took a while.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2, 23 December 2016 - 10:17 PM.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
You are a good fellow when you apply your skills 😊

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That was my skillbuild for Adra, Alpine Dragon, Llengrath and Thaos. B4 that i had maxed INT and lower perception. And i had nothing in stealth and survival, most points into mechanic and lore, and some points what was left into athletics. Lore because of the scroll, that prevents paralyze, moonwell and maelstrom scroll can be a help in some fights. Until you find in WM 2 that gloves in the Mines, that make you immun to paralyze. Maelstrom is pretty good vs. Vithracks.

btw: You have to wear that armor, that nets you +2 survival for the Consumable II resting bonus.

https://abload.de/img/11zosyl.png

https://abload.de/img/22uds0z.png

https://abload.de/img/332ksj1.png

Edited by baldurs_gate_2, 24 December 2016 - 10:10 AM.

Torin

Torin

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts

Did this as chancer, just a week ago.

Here how it looks like https://www.youtube....d1UlzgMzdQKnJri

Just registered just to ask:

Any chance you post you build?

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Just registered just to ask:

Any chance you post you build?

If you pause your way through the first minute or so of his Thaos fight you can work most of it out. A few specific items might not be obvious but you can probably work them out from the start of the Llengrath fight.

SoloGirl

SoloGirl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
I am looking for suggestions on solo fights in small spaces. I play as a ranged rogue, so my strategy in open space fights was: trigger the fight, run away until the enemy turns back to its starting base, shoot the straggler, repeat until the straggler is dead, go on to the next one etc. If too many run at me, I activate a figurine as a distraction and escape or shadow beyond until I am at the edge of the fight. This strategy doesn't work in small spaces where I can't run away from the enemy. Any tips?

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1255 posts

I am looking for suggestions on solo fights in small spaces. I play as a ranged rogue, so my strategy in open space fights was: trigger the fight, run away until the enemy turns back to its starting base, shoot the straggler, repeat until the straggler is dead, go on to the next one etc. If too many run at me, I activate a figurine as a distraction and escape or shadow beyond until I am at the edge of the fight. This strategy doesn't work in small spaces where I can't run away from the enemy. Any tips?

You have to use confusion (scrolls, bow from the alpine dragon) and figurines for these fights.

SoloGirl

SoloGirl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts

You have to use confusion (scrolls, bow from the alpine dragon) and figurines for these fights.

I have found a Ring Of Changing Heart (Resolve +3, Dominate), and it has been very helpful when fighting groups which have members that can be dominated. They just gang up on dominated member and thin themselves out while I am shooting from the edges.

SoloGirl

SoloGirl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Here is a summary of my PotD solo run so far. I am at level 16 now, and in theory I could go and finish the game off and get Triple Crown Solo achievement, but I still on track for Frozen Crown Solo and Ultimate achievements. I wish the experience cap was higher. I feel like I still have almost half of the game left, and the level is already maxed out. What's still outstanding for the Ultimate Achievement. the last 3 bounties from Caed Nua, Durgan Battery to finish off White March, White March 2, Siege of Craighold, Battle for Caed Nua keep, Od Nua fight, Adra Dragon, Sky Dragon. My stats without items are Might - 7, Con - 3, and the rest of them are 17. I put most of my skill points into Stealth and Mechanics. Skills: Fast Runner, Deep Wounds, Escape, Shadowing Beyond, Sap, Finishing Blow, Mental Fortress, Marksman, Gunner, Shot On The Run. I do have enough coin to retrain my character, and I might do so before the big final fights.

I didn't skimp on rests on this run, so I always have some kind of stronghold bonus going on. Also, I didn't try to minimize the number of kills, even though I did not try to wipe out every single enemy group. Some groups can be pitted against each other. Set off spiders and beetles onto the looters bunch on the first level of Caed Nua and was able to open both entrances to Maervald's room. Then got spiders and beetles to kill him and his blights for me. Shadowing Beyond and Escape was especially useful for this. In Elmshore, lions attack all humans, so I got them to kill of druids, knights of crucible (I sided with Dozens for the hearings), and later the leaden key people at the exit. Same with the cook's quest from Gilded Vale - got the wolves near the entrance to attack the bandits for me. For bounties in closed quarters I used dominate ability on my Ring Of Changing Heart to thin out the groups and prevent them from following me to the exit. Usually had to rest a couple of times before the group size got manageable. For some bounties in larger spaces, I was able to lure the leader away from the group, and avoided fighting the rest of them. In Raedric's Hold, I pretended that I am siding with Raedric, then sneaked away and killed off his group one at a time from the distance. In Northweald, animals can be pitted against primordials, so I used that to thin out the groups and get them away from their starting points, so I could get to quest locations.

I think this is about it for now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users