Chanter is the most easy hands up in my opinion. My advice are:

- wild Orlan

- max might, max int, High con

- pick all the defensive talents ( sword& shield, cautious attack, bear fortitude, ecc )+ veteran recovery & gallant focus

Tactics:

- use winds of death + Spectre to kill things until lvl 9, after that dragon trashed + seven nights, you can do that whole drinking healing potions or llengrath when needed

- steamroll everything

Other option are wiz, druid or Priest, but you need good insight of game mechanichs.

I can't understand why people thinks paladin is the best one, is super boring to play until lvl 13, and after that sacred immolation is still inferior to dragon trashed, for both dmg and duration. And the defensive gap between a full defensive Chanter and pala is about 10 in all defense at maximum

After lvl 9 it's def. chanter for me too. Even if you are not supertanky you can kill everything with Dragon Thrashed while kiting. You only have to make sure your radius is very big (Voice of th Mountaintop + Overseering + maxed INT).

Priest is very difficult at the start but later it's a lot of fun. Triumph of the Crusaders in solo game is really powerful. Since you have to do all killing by yourself, you get healed up to 100% all the time. With enough potions of Infuse with Vital Essence you are near unkillable after some time. You will have immunity spells against all afflictions, too, which is very helpful. What you lack is disabling spells, but you can put on Munacra Arret and Ring of Changing Heart and later Spirit Spiral and have 8 mind control uses per rest - which is quite nice combined with the ACC buffs a priest has. I just realize that I never tried if Spark the Souls of the Righteous works on charmed enemies...?

Wizard is good enough from start to end. At first you can have Arcane Veil + Wizard's Double which makes you untouchable to most early enemies and later you can have cool summoned weapons like Citzal's Spirit Lance for trash fights and CC and hefty nukes for everything else.

I also had a lot of fun with barbs. One was max MIG, max INT, max CON and totally offensive meatshield, the other had max RES and was a shield tank with good offensive potential. Barbs have carnage, so they are not as tedious to play as paladins in the early game. And later on they get Heart of Fury which is the strongest anti-mob-ability there is. But alltogether it's more difficult than chanter.

Druid and cipher I can't say, never tried those solo.

Fighter is as tedious as paladin - just without Sacred Immolation. And I really don't want to talk about rogue. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

My suspicion is Paladin IS the simplest class to solo PotD, in that it requires relatively little strategy, but as others have said there are plenty of other options which can work (some of which are more powerful than a Paladin when used correctly).

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

Most of the time a boss is surrounded by a lot of ads. I can't remember any tough boss who is alone on the battlefield. And if there are more than 4 enemies in range then Heart of Fury is also very good to severely damage the boss while killing the ads. The rest is hitting the boss paladin-style. ;) But with a lot more speed because usually Frenzy and also Bloodlust are still on.

Chanter is by far the best class to solo.

The difference in defenses to paladin is not that high, because of the level 1 chants with bonus to all defenses except deflection +10.

Ofc until you get Little Savior you will also lack +5 from the Outworn buckler, but then again dragon chant with level 9 is a lot earlier than SA with 13.

Also phantom summon is until level 9 much better than anything paladin has offensively and obviously Soft winds is not that bad either.

Thanks for the answers. I tend to be a wizard or a chanter. More to chanter, because i never played one in my previous group runs. Priest seems pretty good 2, but it will be definitly harder.

Chanter is the most easy hands up in my opinion. My advice are:
- wild Orlan
- max might, max int, High con
- pick all the defensive talents ( sword& shield, cautious attack, bear fortitude, ecc )+ veteran recovery & gallant focus
Tactics:
- use winds of death + Spectre to kill things until lvl 9, after that dragon trashed + seven nights, you can do that whole drinking healing potions or llengrath when needed
- steamroll everything

Other option are wiz, druid or Priest, but you need good insight of game mechanichs.

I can't understand why people thinks paladin is the best one, is super boring to play until lvl 13, and after that sacred immolation is still inferior to dragon trashed, for both dmg and duration. And the defensive gap between a full defensive Chanter and pala is about 10 in all defense at maximum

With "Spectre" you mean the level 1 invoc "Phantom"?

Which chants / invocs (not menationing the ones you allready named), are good for a solo run as well?

Edited by baldurs_gate_2

Yes of course, the Phantom. Super strong for a lvl 1, he also stun on hit.

The only other chants that is somewhat useful in a solo run is the +1 speed, +10 reflex lvl 1 chant, you can make a separate Song composed only by that just in case you need to run away a fight.

After lvl 9 just dragon trashed. Maybe the anti beast chant at lvl 16, but dragon trashed is still better.

Useful invocations are

- white Worms if you know how to make it works ( make a huge pile of Dead bodies near a Door and lure someone in it)

- phantom

- seven nights

- the ogres ( if you need something that tanks for you, you got 2 bodies with 300+ hp)

- the +5 to str & con ( mainly to buff fortitude in boss fights)

- maybe the 2 rays of healing at lvl 2, but i never used them

- the animated weapons at High lvl

- the +40% speed buff ( High lvl)

Not only does the phantom stun on hit, it also has sneak attack which is a nice addition to stun. It's like auto +50% damage. 

White Worms - one of my favorite abilities of all time. :) Basically breaks the game if you are patient, don't reload or leave the map and turn off gib in the game options.

Seven Nights is very good if you stand right before an enemy. It will hit with 3 bolts for ridiculous damage. But you will have a chanting pause after any invocation. If you run with dumped DEX and plate armor it may be that your dps on higher levels is better if you just keep on chanting the Dragon Thrashed and don't use any damaging invocation at all. Of course, at some point White Worms will just vaporize anything if you only have piled enough bodies. The Torn Bannermen made this experience more than once. ;)

I m a bit concerned about the giant eyeless enemies. They are, if i remember right, immune against flame. Was a real pain for my paladin to beat them. Are they a problem for a chanter?

I just looked them up. They are, indeed, immune to burn and shock, however they are slightly weak against slash (14DR vs their normal 18DR) which is the other component of the Dragon Thrashed. Not sure how big a hit only doing half the usual damage it, but at least you're not doing none.

I m a bit concerned about the giant eyeless enemies. They are, if i remember right, immune against flame. Was a real pain for my paladin to beat them. Are they a problem for a chanter?

You should be able to hit them for like 400 damage – maybe more – with Seven Nights She Waited providing they're paralysed. I wouldn't worry too much – though high flame DR might be very useful for their ray gun move.

The 3 eyeless before Abydon's can be cheesed quite well.

If you run to a certain point on the map(and have good move speed) they will stop chasing you and each go to a separate place on the map but the fight will not end.

YOu can now kill them seperately with summons, takes some time tho :p

I have a bit of a problem against this little **** xaurip enemy, that stuns you on hit. It seems, if you are stunned, you don't chant any more? What can i do against stun?

Is this on the Madhmar Bridge? There's one there that was the death of many TCS runs as it aggros straight away. The general advice is to avoid that map till you're higher level and can resist its stuns more easily.