Politics 2016

Wrath of Dagon

Did a lot better job than the German cops, that's for sure.

In China you can sell poisoned food.

Why would you hurt your clientele? What would be the point?

Make lots of money in the mean time? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

I find it a bit ironic that people are talking about how awful the Chinese are for selling poisoned food when everywhere else in the world you have McDonalds.

Funny, but serving unhealthy food and serving bacteria-ridden food are a bit different.  Actually I hear the McDonalds in other countries are often better and have somewhat more culturally appropriate menus.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30115555

• Like 1

Limiting imports from China should be a #1 priority. They have zero scruples when it comes to...well, everything. 

That would mean that their economic situation would become dire, the people who depend on the country's manufacturing industries would lose their jobs. On top of that, jobs on factories have become more regulated thanks to the West focus on human rights. Meaning they are payed better and work safer.

You hit them hard enough and they might just begin WW3 just out of sheer necessity.

Did a lot better job than the German cops, that's for sure.

In China you can sell poisoned food.

Why would you hurt your clientele? What would be the point?

Make lots of money in the mean time? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

I find it a bit ironic that people are talking about how awful the Chinese are for selling poisoned food when everywhere else in the world you have McDonalds.

Funny, but serving unhealthy food and serving bacteria-ridden food are a bit different.  Actually I hear the McDonalds in other countries are often better and have somewhat more culturally appropriate menus.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30115555

The Chinese don't care that their stuff is poisonous the Americans only care that their stuff is not too poisonous. It's different alright...so pick your poison, literally.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The Chinese don't care that their stuff is poisonous the Americans only care that their stuff is not too poisonous. It's different alright...so pick your poison, literally.

Are you really comparing something like salmonella or e-coli, which can put you in the hospital immediately, to fast food?  Look, I hate fast food.  I haven't stepped foot in a McDonalds in about 20 years.  But it is regulated and I'm glad it is.  Are you arguing for stiffer regulations that make the food healthier?  Are you arguing for less regulations so they can lower costs and cut corners?  What is your point here?

You can buy stuff and go sell sandwiches on the side of the road in the US by the way.  You can do it until you get reported, at which point you will get fined and shut down.  Or you can go get a permit, which is not exactly a king's ransom, demonstrate some sense of food safety, and sell food on the side of the road, depending on the property rights.  Woe are we, with so many rules.   :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

Are you really comparing something like salmonella or e-coli, which can put you in the hospital immediately, to fast food?  Look, I hate fast food.  I haven't stepped foot in a McDonalds in about 20 years.  But it is regulated and I'm glad it is.  Are you arguing for stiffer regulations that make the food healthier?  Are you arguing for less regulations so they can lower costs and cut corners?  What is your point here?

You can buy stuff and go sell sandwiches on the side of the road in the US by the way.  You can do it until you get reported, at which point you will get fined and shut down.  Or you can go get a permit, which is not exactly a king's ransom, demonstrate some sense of food safety, and sell food on the side of the road, depending on the property rights.  Woe are we, with so many rules.   :rolleyes:  

Speaking of which; I just got back from a McDonalds. My friend payed so how could I say no? At any rate; I just got the side salad, apple slices, and a water. McDonalds is fine; it's people who are the problem. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

And to be fair to McDonalds, as I already pointed out in the India story, they run an impressive business model that is quick to adapt to market pressure and fills a niche in their communities.  Their fundraising programs for local schools are particularly impressive.   

The morality is what we are arguing here not the food.

If you think that causing deliberate harm at lesser degrees is justifiable then please do continue to defend McDonalds and condemn China. I tend to think of morals as absolutes so that's why I don't like to split hairs about who does the greater wrong.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

If you think that causing deliberate harm at lesser degrees is justifiable then please do continue to defend McDonalds and condemn China. I tend to think of morals as absolutes so that's why I don't like to split hairs about who does the greater wrong.

The topic of the current conversation is food.  It may be convenient for your argument to ignore that, but you can have your morality discussion with someone else. Any time you eat out (particularly from a street vendor), you are risking exposure to bacteria. In the US there are regulations in place to limit that exposure. In China, according to Sharp_One's example, there is no regulation.  Ergo, you are at greater risk to bacteria in China.  That seems absolute to me.  You brought up McDonalds and tried to make this an American versus China thing, and you haven't convinced me. 

Honestly I'm not even sure how accurate Sharp_One's example is.  I'd have to believe China has some sort of regulations for restaurants and food markets, particularly in the larger cities.   

The topic of the current conversation is food.  It may be convenient for your argument to ignore that, but you can have your morality discussion with someone else. Any time you eat out (particularly from a street vendor), you are risking exposure to bacteria. In the US there are regulations in place to limit that exposure. In China, according to Sharp_One's example, there is no regulation.  Ergo, you are at greater risk to bacteria in China.  That seems absolute to me.  You brought up McDonalds and tried to make this an American versus China thing, and you haven't convinced me. 

Honestly I'm not even sure how accurate Sharp_One's example is.  I'd have to believe China has some sort of regulations for restaurants and food markets, particularly in the larger cities.   

I thought this was a politics thread, besides the derail began with the post below. Clearly the subtext of this whole thing is to criticize China for their lack of regulations.

This was always an America vs China thing, I would say something rude that points to your inability to keep up with the thread but I suspect your post is borne more out of sophistry rather than a lack of understanding. Don't know which is worse, though.

The Chinese government is a despicable, parasitic, brutal, brass-knuckled, crass, callous, amoral, ruthless and totally totalitarian imperialist power that reigns over the world’s leading cancer factory, its most prolific propaganda mill and the biggest police state and prison on the face of the earth.

When were you last time in China?

Answer me this:

In which country you can buy bread, some ingredients and start selling sandwiches on a sidewalk starting your own small business. And no one will bother you.

A) USA

B) China

village_idiot.gif

I thought this was a politics thread, besides the derail began with the post below. Clearly the subtext of this whole thing is to criticize China for their lack of regulations.

This was always an America vs China thing, I would say something rude that points to your inability to keep up with the thread but I suspect your post is borne more out of sophistry rather than a lack of understanding. Don't know which is worse, though.

The Chinese government is a despicable, parasitic, brutal, brass-knuckled, crass, callous, amoral, ruthless and totally totalitarian imperialist power that reigns over the world’s leading cancer factory, its most prolific propaganda mill and the biggest police state and prison on the face of the earth.

When were you last time in China?

Answer me this:

In which country you can buy bread, some ingredients and start selling sandwiches on a sidewalk starting your own small business. And no one will bother you.

A) USA

B) China

But why would anyone want to live in China when you can live in any Western country which is much better on numerous levels, China

• Is not  a Democracy, you dont vote in China
  • China controls the flow of information aggressively, so if you like the idea of living in a truly censored society China is your place
  • China doesnt care about human rights abuses in other countries because of there own appalling human rights record
  • China interferes directly in there financial sector and tried to control there own stock market

China is an important country, don't misunderstand me. But its not a better country than any Western country because of our values 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ah, so Sharp_One uses a silly food example to show that China is better than the US, then Orogun contributes to that by bringing up McDonalds, and then they try and act like food has nothing to do with the current conversation.   :thumbsup:

Don't be sore

village_idiot.gif

Ah, so Sharp_One uses a silly food example to show that China is better than the US, then Orogun contributes to that by bringing up McDonalds, and then they try and act like food has nothing to do with the current conversation.   :thumbsup:

Don't be sore

Don't rely on stupid examples.

Ah, so Sharp_One uses a silly food example to show that China is better than the US, then Orogun contributes to that by bringing up McDonalds, and then they try and act like food has nothing to do with the current conversation. :thumbsup:

Don't be sore

Don't rely on stupid examples.

Be glad you get any sort of evidence from this place, man.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The example simplistic and easily countered by numerous examples of why regulation is important in selling food. Clinging to it is sad.

Then if you're for regulation why do you defend McDonalds? Why is that we criticize another country when in ours we allow the same poison as long as is within tolerable degrees?

If you are argument is that  poisoning is bad why are you defending slow poisoning and condemning the fast one?

If you want to believe propaganda condemning US enemies for the same crap that we do, the you're free to do so. Just don't expect me to jump from that cliff.

village_idiot.gif

The example simplistic and easily countered by numerous examples of why regulation is important in selling food. Clinging to it is sad.

Then if you're for regulation why do you defend McDonalds? Why is that we criticize another country when in ours we allow the same poison as long as is within tolerable degrees?

If you are argument is that  poisoning is bad why are you defending slow poisoning and condemning the fast one?

If you want to believe propaganda condemning US enemies for the same crap that we do, the you're free to do so. Just don't expect me to jump from that cliff.

So a quick death due to bacteria is equal to a slow death due to unhealthy eating habits in your narrative?   :blink:

So a quick death due to bacteria is equal to a slow death due to unhealthy eating habits in your narrative?   :blink:

There is unhealthy eating habits and there is food that is harmful. Trust me on this, American food is in general less healthy than natural food; even the one with organic on the name. I can personally attest to this since every one of the people I know from back when I was in Cuba that has come to the US has gained a lot of weight (myself included) even if they don't eat trash food or drink soda on a regular basis. Before you think that it is just that they have more to eat here, I actually ate more meals a day back in Cuba.

My preference of food hasn't changed, the only variable that has changed is that before I had natural food and now I have GMO foods.

You won't change my mind on this subject simply because I know with great certainty that American food is harmful and the regulations don't exclude harmful substances, just how much you can have in your product. If you think this acceptable then I would like to invite you to a dinner where every dish has non lethal amount of arsenic in it and see if you last the night or whether you are actually convinced that poison in small measures is not harmful.

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

If you are argument is that poisoning is bad why are you defending slow poisoning and condemning the fast one?

So a quick death due to bacteria is equal to a slow death due to unhealthy eating habits in your narrative? :blink:

There is unhealthy eating habits and there is food that is harmful. Trust me on this, American food is in general less healthy than natural food; even the one with organic on the name. I can personally attest to this since every one of the people I know from back when I was in Cuba that has come to the US has gained a lot of weight (myself included) even if they don't eat trash food or drink soda on a regular basis. Before you think that it is just that they have more to eat here, I actually ate more meals a day back in Cuba.

My preference of food hasn't changed, the only variable that has changed is that before I had natural food and now I have GMO foods.

You won't change my mind on this subject simply because I know with great certainty that American food is harmful and the regulations don't exclude harmful substances, just how much you can have in your product. If you think this acceptable then I would like to invite you to a dinner where every dish has non lethal amount of arsenic in it and see if you last the night or whether you are actually convinced that poison in small measures is not harmful.

Mmmm I wouldn't say that's a good example. U gotta factor in ur eating different foods than u normally are hence ur body isn't used to processing them like the food u usually eat.

Now the thing is, I'd dare say McDonalds isn't even harmful. Go eat U a double quarter pounder and fries and a milkshake. U won't die unless u choke on ur food or ur allergic to something.

Now what will kill you/make u a fatass is eating McDonald's all the time. Your not supposed to eat mcdonalds all the time just like u ain't supposed to eat even homemade cheeseburgers everyday either. It's like if I went and ate sesame chicken and dirty rice and egg rolls everyday or I went and ate nachos and burritos and that's it.

The difference between poisoned foods and fast foods is the food pyramid. Thought they taught this in schools. The human body is only supposed to eat so much of certain types of foods and focus more on others. Fast food is the bottom of the pyramid, the stuff u supposed to eat spareingly. You eat to much of it, it's not poison, it's ****ing fatty ass foods, of course ur gonna gain ****ing weight.

You eat mcdonalds once a month and homecook ur own food and pay attention to the food pyramid and u won't become a fatass. Whereas poisoned foods, it's ****ing poisoned. There's really no comparison.

• Like 2

Mmmm I wouldn't say that's a good example. U gotta factor in ur eating different foods than u normally are hence ur body isn't used to processing them like the food u usually eat.

Now the thing is, I'd dare say McDonalds isn't even harmful. Go eat U a double quarter pounder and fries and a milkshake. U won't die unless u choke on ur food or ur allergic to something.

Now what will kill you/make u a fatass is eating McDonald's all the time. Your not supposed to eat mcdonalds all the time just like u ain't supposed to eat even homemade cheeseburgers everyday either. It's like if I went and ate sesame chicken and dirty rice and egg rolls everyday or I went and ate nachos and burritos and that's it.

The difference between poisoned foods and fast foods is the food pyramid. Thought they taught this in schools. The human body is only supposed to eat so much of certain types of foods and focus more on others. Fast food is the bottom of the pyramid, the stuff u supposed to eat spareingly. You eat to much of it, it's not poison, it's ****ing fatty ass foods, of course ur gonna gain ****ing weight.

You eat mcdonalds once a month and homecook ur own food and pay attention to the food pyramid and u won't become a fatass. Whereas poisoned foods, it's ****ing poisoned. There's really no comparison.

It is difficult for me to determine since I don't know of any experiments that have been conducted on this subject. Just based on my own experiences I can tell that my diet hasn't changed, I literally am eating the same dishes that I was eating when I was a child (If anything I'm now trying to eat healthier and broader) I haven't gotten to the point in my life that my metabolism has slowed down enough for me to gain weight. More so, I know don't eat dinner; so I went from eating 3 meals a day on a Third World country to just 2 in the US. All this and I still gained massive amounts of weight compared to what I used to weight when I came to the US. I haven't grown any taller since then, so that's not it. Plus any additional caloric intake hasn't changed; I don't eat sweets any more than I used to.

The only variables that I can see have changed is the food and the lifestyle. First World life is more sedentary, but then again I now exercise more. Which only leaves the food ingredients themselves.

village_idiot.gif

There is unhealthy eating habits and there is food that is harmful. Trust me on this, American food is in general less healthy than natural food; even the one with organic on the name. 

Wait, is it unhealthy or is it harmful?

Also what is "American" food?  It's a pretty big country, that seems like a pretty vague generalization?  I live in an area surrounded by farms of all different types.  Are they not growing "natural" food? 

Also I'm not sure how much arsenic the FDA allows in our food, but I imagine if you followed their guidelines, I'd survive your dinner.  I mean, there are small levels of arsenic in the air, so do you propose we stop breathing?

edit:  Also maybe see a nutritionist, and understand that metabolism can change at any time depending on the individual.

Edited by Hurlshot

My diets good but it seems everything out there is hugely unhealthy. I dunno, I know guys who ballon despite no obvious health problems and decent exercise so I have to assume that it's something with the food, but their diet is seemingly good.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It is difficult for me to determine since I don't know of any experiments that have been conducted on this subject. Just based on my own experiences I can tell that my diet hasn't changed, I literally am eating the same dishes that I was eating when I was a child (If anything I'm now trying to eat healthier and broader) I haven't gotten to the point in my life that my metabolism has slowed down enough for me to gain weight. More so, I know don't eat dinner; so I went from eating 3 meals a day on a Third World country to just 2 in the US. All this and I still gained massive amounts of weight compared to what I used to weight when I came to the US. I haven't grown any taller since then, so that's not it. Plus any additional caloric intake hasn't changed; I don't eat sweets any more than I used to.

The only variables that I can see have changed is the food and the lifestyle. First World life is more sedentary, but then again I now exercise more. Which only leaves the food ingredients themselves.

Mmmm maybe eat that 3rd meal, I know that eating less times a day will screw up the metabolism. My girl went to only twice and she ballooned up there for a bit but started losing weight when she ate more times a day but ate a lil smaller portions. It's a bit screwy.

Also forgive me for the tone, I get this conversation a lot and usually it's from people who worked the fields and ate homecooking then moved here and are now behind a desk and eating out all the time and blaming our foods here for why they starting to get overweight. Enough times that it's usually a gut reaction that by going from most of the day manual labor to desk jobs with working out but eating at restaurants all the time and blaming out "poor quality" food as the source of why they becoming fatasses.

Edited by redneckdevil