Politics 2016

Wrath of Dagon

I don't want to be too nitpicky; but I would certainly hope that when looking for an 'inevitable' collapse to compare the current situation to it would happen a little faster than the time between Caesar and Constantine- a mere 350 odd years. That's an awful long time for a gradual collapse, especially since that time frame includes mediocre leaders such as, er, Augustus, Hadrian, Trajan etc and the period when Rome was indisputably at its strongest.

If anything the problem with later Rome was that it didn't even bother trying to assimilate the new settlers and treated them with utter contempt, thought themselves inherently superior, stole from them etc etc leading to such utterly pointless wasteful and unnecessary imbecilities as happened at Adrianople. A more rational and less born to the purple attitude and Rome could easily have survived. Would have helped if they didn't continually kill off all the half way competent leaders (Stilicho, Aetius, Majorian) as well.

(I think Merkel's open door policy was moronic, but comparisons to Rome aren't so much not in the same ballpark as not in the same city)

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/21/politics/donald-trump-tariffs/index.html?adkey=bn

Well it didn't take long for all my hopes to be dashed. So when do we drop the title President and start calling them Emperor? Of course he hasn't actually done it yet and this is CNN, a less than reliable source. So perhaps I'm jumping the gun with doom & gloom.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/21/politics/donald-trump-tariffs/index.html?adkey=bn

Well it didn't take long for all my hopes to be dashed. So when do we drop the title President and start calling them Emperor? Of course he hasn't actually done it yet and this is CNN, a less than reliable source. So perhaps I'm jumping the gun with doom & gloom.

Oh, it's happening...

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I don't want to be too nitpicky; but I would certainly hope that when looking for an 'inevitable' collapse to compare the current situation to it would happen a little faster than the time between Caesar and Constantine- a mere 350 odd years. That's an awful long time for a gradual collapse, especially since that time frame includes mediocre leaders such as, er, Augustus, Hadrian, Trajan etc and the period when Rome was indisputably at its strongest.

If anything the problem with later Rome was that it didn't even bother trying to assimilate the new settlers and treated them with utter contempt, thought themselves inherently superior, stole from them etc etc leading to such utterly pointless wasteful and unnecessary imbecilities as happened at Adrianople. A more rational and less born to the purple attitude and Rome could easily have survived. Would have helped if they didn't continually kill off all the half way competent leaders (Stilicho, Aetius, Majorian) as well.

(I think Merkel's open door policy was moronic, but comparisons to Rome aren't so much not in the same ballpark as not in the same city)

I do not mind being nitpicky. Aside of the treatment of the new citizens and the length of time, the result is still the same, concentration of power, rise of an empire and its inevitable collapse due to degradation of culture producing horrible rulers. In any case, as a consolation i think that the following gif illustrates how the state of discussing politics at this forum will always will be:

2jbqqvb.gif

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

We are all the homeless man, except Bruce. He is the one awkwardly trying to hug us.

• Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They conquered them by force (mostly), but they didn't assimilate them by force. The Empire had a few rules like 'no human sacrifice' but generally allowed conquered people to keep their own culture so long as they didn't fight Rome and paid their taxes etc. They'd (generally, again) lose their own culture fairly rapidly in any case, but such is the nature of assimilation. Their success was such that you had emperors from every corner of the Empire without anyone batting an eyelid- Hadrian was Spanish, Constantine was Thracian, Severus was African etc etc.

And I'm not quite sure which Roman Empire you're thinking of which didn't rely on 'migrants' to do the stuff Romans wouldn't; foreign slaves- by definition, since Roman citizens could not be enslaved- were doing the jobs Romans wouldn't do for multiple, multiple centuries prior to the collapse of the WRE.

You're getting the invaded and the invaders confused. Rome was successful because it was the one doing the invading. Slaves are not migrants, migrants invade and demand that the natives start doing things their way, like what happened to the American Indians. Romans lost because they started relying on the barbarians to guard their borders, that's like putting the fox in charge of guarding the hen house. Edit: Much like Hillary hiring jihadists to guard the American facility in Benghazi, lol.

"Different trade laws enacted over the course of the past century allow the president to impose tariffs if he issues a determination the United States is being subjected to unfair trade practices or faces an economic or national security threat because of trade practices." Is this what's upsetting you? This is what Trump ran on, the only reason he won the blue states and thus the presidency.

Edit: I'd say this is good news: http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/12/22/trump-names-china-skeptic-uc-irvine-prof-lead-trade-council/

Us building up what's now the greatest threat to ourselves got to be one of the most idiotic things in history.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The Chinese government is a despicable, parasitic, brutal, brass-knuckled, crass, callous, amoral, ruthless and totally totalitarian imperialist power that reigns over the world’s leading cancer factory, its most prolific propaganda mill and the biggest police state and prison on the face of the earth.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's not A because you need permits and stuff before you can sell food.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

True freedom is abolishing the age of consent.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The Chinese government is a despicable, parasitic, brutal, brass-knuckled, crass, callous, amoral, ruthless and totally totalitarian imperialist power that reigns over the world’s leading cancer factory, its most prolific propaganda mill and the biggest police state and prison on the face of the earth.

When were you last time in China?

Answer me this:

In which country you can buy bread, some ingredients and start selling sandwiches on a sidewalk starting your own small business. And no one will bother you.

A) USA

B) China

Funny, it made me think of this:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Don't worry fellas, it's just an isolated incident. These new romans will succesfully integrate into Rome . After all, the franks, goths and vandals are all fleeing their home countries for a better life and it is our duty to welcome them.

After all, everyone knows nobody has ever created anything of cultural and artistic value since the fall of Rome, especially not any people descended from those filthy barbarians.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Don't worry fellas, it's just an isolated incident. These new romans will succesfully integrate into Rome . After all, the franks, goths and vandals are all fleeing their home countries for a better life and it is our duty to welcome them.

After all, everyone knows nobody has ever created anything of cultural and artistic value since the fall of Rome, especially not any people descended from those filthy barbarians.

Rome for about thousand years conquered and raided its neighboring nations, but it ironically suffered that same fate itself after Romans started to become more interest to spat with each other than what was happening in world around them.

The point was a jab against people thinking about waves of immigration only being a question of increase of labour and other materialistic issues, while at the same time highlighting the inheritly destructive forces that are one the move, historically speaking. It was not about prefered methods of cultural exchange. 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Well, I usually do nothing but mouth off about cops, but there's a first time for everything, I guess. Ask questions first, shoot later: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/berlin-attack-anis-amri-germany-rookie-milan-policeman-shoots-suspect-dead-italy-hero-a7492561.html

Gives a whole new meaning to the "killer look" of their Armani uniforms. Never poking fun at them again...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Did a lot better job than the German cops, that's for sure.

In China you can sell poisoned food.

Why would you hurt your clientele? What would be the point?

Make lots of money in the mean time? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Did a lot better job than the German cops, that's for sure.

In China you can sell poisoned food.

Why would you hurt your clientele? What would be the point?

Make lots of money in the mean time? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

I find it a bit ironic that people are talking about how awful the Chinese are for selling poisoned food when everywhere else in the world you have McDonalds.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif