Politics 2016

Wrath of Dagon

(also has convinced me 90% of Reddit users need eliminating)

90% seems a little low, I'd go for 100% if I never had to read "le" again.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Gloating is stupid because sooner or later everyone face plants. I finally decided to support Trump because doing nothing isn't an option when the good of the country is at stake, despite the moral objections.

Wait, what was your moral objection? I guess I missed it.

My moral objection was the tape where Trump talked about groping women seemingly confirming the accusations that immediately came out of his assaulting women. This has nothing to do with sexism or SJ btw Bruce, no one has the right to assault another person.

Edit: No question Iran was involved in attacks on US forces in Iraq: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/09/30/the-shadow-commander

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

RIP me. ;(

...Although, to be fair, I also think reddit is a garbagehole in most respects...and only use it for sports discussion and smaller communities. Reddit the community and reddit "the front page of the internet" sucks pretty bad, so I can see why people don't like it in general.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

RIP me. ;(

...Although, to be fair, I also think reddit is a garbagehole in most respects...and only use it for sports discussion and smaller communities. Reddit the community and reddit "the front page of the internet" sucks pretty bad, so I can see why people don't like it in general.

Ok then, 99% and the 1% left can help purge the rest of the userbase.

I hate the sense of humor that permeates the place and it's a bitch to navigate. It seems like someone purposefully made the worst forum they could have imagined and filled it with people too edgy for most forums but too timid for chans.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Gloating is stupid because sooner or later everyone face plants. I finally decided to support Trump because doing nothing isn't an option when the good of the country is at stake, despite the moral objections.

Wait, what was your moral objection? I guess I missed it.

My moral objection was the tape where Trump talked about groping women seemingly confirming the accusations that immediately came out of his assaulting women. This has nothing to do with sexism or SJ btw Bruce, no one has the right to assault another person.

Edit: No question Iran was involved in attacks on US forces in Iraq: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/09/30/the-shadow-commander

Okay lets forget your moment of SJ weakness....we all agree never to bring it up again  :cat:

Your other point is much more relevant, of course Iran was directly involved in attacking and killing US  troops for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sadr_City

This is a known fact, I am surprised you were actually even entertaining Zora "assessment " of the involvement of Iran, he will try reduce and undermine the US subtlety in most of what he says and  " Russia will achieve global hegemony as Putin is such a great leader  "  

If he had been left to continue he would have eventually been telling you " ISIS is a benign and misunderstood group unfairly targeted by Western aggression  "  :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-orders-review-of-russian-hacking-during-presidential-campaign/2016/12/09/31d6b300-be2a-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?utm_term=.2471de6b80b6

More irrefutable evidence about the Russian hacking impact in the US around influencing the election. This time from the CIA, its really time some people stopped denying this  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Ok then, 99% and the 1% left can help purge the rest of the userbase.

I hate the sense of humor that permeates the place and it's a bitch to navigate. It seems like someone purposefully made the worst forum they could have imagined and filled it with people too edgy for most forums but too timid for chans.

What, repeating the same garbage memes thread in and thread out, ad nauseam for all time? It sucks...it really does. Even in sports subreddits, it happens way too often...it's a toss-up whether you'll get actual decent and meaningful discussion or just a bunch of idiots posting "jokes". I like having the possibility for meaningful discussion among a wide and varied userbase...but in practice, most people are just idiots.

In regards to the layout design...well, the issue is that it's NOT a forum, and it doesn't seem to really be made to emulate one. The site's primary purpose seems to be "entertainment", and so the comments that people think are the "best" (in whatever way people deem best) rise to the top...and so discussion doesn't really matter outside of the smaller subreddits...or unless you're one of the very first posters to a thread. See, all the threads you ever see on the bigger subreddits, or on the front page...or anywhere close to the front page...are threads that are usually already a few hours old - by the time you see these threads, discussion is already mostly dead by virtue of the fact that the thread already has hundreds of comments and nobody can really read anything besides the mostly highly upvoted crap. It's not really meant to be a forum for actual discussion, and it shows.

It doesn't help that all the stuff that appears on the front page is mostly worthless garbage, too.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If it was the Russians, all they did was reveal the truth that our own press has been hiding, so they did us a favor.

Exactly. I think a lot of people aren't ruled up about it because of the situation (trump sneezing or whipping his ass was reported but Hillary they were very silent or very dismissive or underplayed).

In a sense, the boogieman of the democrates basically acted like an ally. Never mind the fact that when Wikileaks was going after bush jr, it was vice versa with democrates praising and thanking while the republicans were doing what the democrates are doing now.

The democrates really REALLY want that war with Russia for some strange reason.

• Like 1

I stopped reading at this part 'Even without Iran’s direction and sponsorship of militias killing of thousands of American soldiers in Iraq'... Hands up anyone who believes the Sunni insurgents are supported and backed by Iran?

Bonus points if anyone believes Trump is going to tell Boeing to drop the new deal for 80 airplanes destined for Iran.

He might, just has to bribe them elsewhere. Meshbacks will clap

I think even if the deal is actually inked the actual number of jets Iran will get will only amount to a dozen or so (and knowing Iranian maintenance standards, half of those will be hangar queens anyways). This is for a number of reasons:

1. Competition: People in Iran heading abroad (the United States is a popular destination) are already well served by Gulf hubs, and a great deal of Iran's own fleet is regional jets anyways (though given Iranian aviation's atrocious safety record, Iranians are probably better off rowing a boat across the Strait of Hormuz). Besides, other national carriers have a surefire way of tempting away Iranians from their own flag carriers ("We serve booze").

2. Economy: Iran needs oil well above $90 a barrel in order to balance their books. Though recently OPEC and co have finally come to an agreement on production caps, there are already severe doubts as to whether or not major players such as Russia and Iran will actually comply with them, to say nothing about the fact that Iran is rife with corruption and its private sector is regulated to the point of near strangulation.

3. Risk: The Iran deal included snapback sanctions and Iranian carriers will be guaranteed to rely upon outside financing to actually afford those jets, and given that Iran is not a part of the Cape Town Convention which allows financiers to repossess jets in the event of delinquency (as Aboulafia mused: "Can an airliner be taken hostage?") the Iranians will be hard-pressed to find good creditors.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I dunno. The programming ones have smart folk and there are some that don't deserve crucifixion.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Its okay my son, even if it is true you will only have to absorb 3600 immigrants based on your popultion

Thats nothing, some countries have had to take in hundreds of thousands of immigrants. You will be okay, I believe in you  :dancing:

John Milton 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-orders-review-of-russian-hacking-during-presidential-campaign/2016/12/09/31d6b300-be2a-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?utm_term=.2471de6b80b6

More irrefutable evidence about the Russian hacking impact in the US around influencing the election. This time from the CIA, its really time some people stopped denying this  :yes:

Actually, there is no new evidence; just that some people took the evidence we already had and came to certain conclusions. 100% of the "evidence" we have now is circumstantial BTW.

Let's also not forget that Assange himself claims that the leaks are not from Russians, and the people claiming it is the Russians are known liars with ZERO credibility (what they say should be dismissed by default). If you don't trust Assange either (I'll admit that I do) then it's a wash with no hard evidence. Just guesswork.

Side note: The CIA being butt-hurt at the idea that leftist leadership has been over thrown by foreign interference is pretty lolzy. <- Saw that on twitter; thought it was worth sharing. :)

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Its okay my son, even if it is true you will only have to absorb 3600 immigrants based on your popultion

Thats nothing, some countries have had to take in hundreds of thousands of immigrants. You will be okay, I believe in you  :dancing:

I don't care about immigrants, whats scary is that they are going to seize personal property!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I find this amusing, Kerry warns of "authoritarian populism" while accepting an award created by an authoritarian populist: https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/2016/12/12/kerry-warns-of-dangerous-currents-of-authoritarian-populism-in-paris/

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Would you kindly point to where this irrefutable evidence actually is.

His feelings.

• Like 3

Lets take it at face value. "Teh Russians interfered".

Ok. So what did said Russians actually do? It wasn't staffing the ballot boxes with fake ballots. It wasn't hacking the voter machines. It was releasing some embarrassing emails which Putin did not write.

What if the emails said she killed someone? Would it still be Russia's fault? What type of potential corruption does a candidate have a right to never be revealed? Because if it was Russia and if this was actually what's responsible for the final result (which I doubt) then checkmate I guess. Because what is there to do, say "disregard those facts over there your honor because they were obtained illegally" like in a court room?

Also if this is enough to claim Putin "hacked" the US elections then the system is so incredibly fragile that it shouldn't be functioning at all. Like seriously, give me a break.

• Like 4

His feelings.

Guys it must be the epitome of forum indolence and  lethargy to seriously expect someone else to prove your doubts meaningless?

You guys need to do your own proof-checking...you need to take responsibility and commit some time to improving your future :biggrin:  

John Milton 

Lets take it at face value. "Teh Russians interfered".

Ok. So what did said Russians actually do? It wasn't staffing the ballot boxes with fake ballots. It wasn't hacking the voter machines. It was releasing some embarrassing emails which Putin did not write.

What if the emails said she killed someone? Would it still be Russia's fault? What type of potential corruption does a candidate have a right to never be revealed? Because if it was Russia and if this was actually what's responsible for the final result (which I doubt) then checkmate I guess. Because what is there to do, say "disregard those facts over there your honor because they were obtained illegally" like in a court room?

Also if this is enough to claim Putin "hacked" the US elections then the system is so incredibly fragile that it shouldn't be functioning at all. Like seriously, give me a break.

Maybe we are approaching this debate in the wrong way. Do you feel a sense of guilt for what Russia has been doing? 

Im not sure why you would because you are not Putin and you  dont work in his cyber -espionage units 

John Milton 

So what's been going in turkey? Saw something about doing away with prime minister then the next there was explosions.

Erdogan gonna Erdogan, basically, all his pet groups in Syria are named after Turkish sultans like Murad and Zengi and he thinks that- and Putin- is the template to follow.

The bombs were from TAK- Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, deniable PKK splitter group that uses suicide bombers. It pretty clearly wasn't ISIS once you knew they waited until there weren't civilians around, ISIS would have just blown up police and fans without blinking while TAK at least target military/ police targets with their terrorism.

Citing a wikipedia article (!) in which the single line supporting you has citation needed (!!) is at least more imaginative than your usual efforts. It's earned you an actual response, well done.

Ok, let's say the Russians hacked the DNC and Podesta's e-mails and that Assange is a Russian asset or whatever line oddly evocative of Cold War propaganda is being said. Does that make the content of the leaked e-mails any less true or relevant?

Well, it doesn't if we're being honest. I mean I guess it functions in getting people elected who are unaccountable to the will of their constituents, but I wouldn't call that a good thing.

There isn't any. Even the 'anonymous source' on whom the reports are based actually says that the only evidence they have is that a private Russian hacking group was involved. That's why you have the dichotomy between what the FBI and CIA say- the FBI is concerned with what can be proven legally, which is ironically how Hillary didn't get charged, while the CIA is concerned with what they think happened rather than what they can prove happened. The last is equally ironic (more so, with regards to the CIA complaining about others interfering in elections) as that and politically mandated group think was exactly how the Saddam/ WMD BS happened.

Podesta's password was- literally- 'p@ssw0rd'. It wouldn't exactly take Skynet to hack him.

• Like 1