Justin Bell

Anaeme

I am taking a moment from my day to pay tribute to the Epic music Justin Bell laid out for Tyranny...

The music at the top of the Mountain Spire was so moving, I stopped playing for a while just to listen.

Justin Bell as a composer has indeed bloomed...

I salute his work!

• Like 8

Justin, any chances for some general Obs thread for music in games and how you approach each title and where to you get your inspiration from. I recall the music thread for PoE was AMAZING!!!

Thank you!  Happy to talk music with you guys any time if folks are interesting in that.  Are you referring to this blog post - https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-76-music-in-pillars-of-eternity- 

Or another forum thread?

I've come to really enjoy Justin's music, though I haven't heard the Tyranny music yet.

What I do find somewhat ironic is very light use of bells in his arrangements.

Ba dum tss!

I'm here all week.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Justin, any chances for some general Obs thread for music in games and how you approach each title and where to you get your inspiration from. I recall the music thread for PoE was AMAZING!!!

Thank you!  Happy to talk music with you guys any time if folks are interesting in that.  Are you referring to this blog post - https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-76-music-in-pillars-of-eternity- 

Or another forum thread?

No, it was another forum thread, from during the development of PoE, where it was called Project Eternity ;) You've share some links, talked on various inspirations and even showed off your personal content from your soundcloud and we in turn gave links to various youtube music pieces, etc. Can't find the thread now, it's so old :p

• Like 1

I've come to really enjoy Justin's music, though I haven't heard the Tyranny music yet.

What I do find somewhat ironic is very light use of bells in his arrangements.

Ba dum tss!

I'm here all week.

That. Was. Amazing.  Has a nice ring to it!...  K, I'll stop now

Or another forum thread?

No, it was another forum thread, from during the development of PoE, where it was called Project Eternity ;) You've share some links, talked on various inspirations and even showed off your personal content from your soundcloud and we in turn gave links to various youtube music pieces, etc. Can't find the thread now, it's so old :p

Ah right, I remember.   Happy to talk about whatever you want to!

• Like 1

I like him, but there are some duds. For example, the main menu tunes are very annoying.

So you say, but I was listening to it while doing my squats, and around the 1:00 mark I felt like the mother****ing Archon of Iron...

• Like 4

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Based on his work so far, Justin is a good composer. Feel like both Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity's soundtracks pull into too many different directions at the same time, though, and there's only a handful of combat tracks I enjoy between the two games. Still, looking forward to the soundtrack of Pillars of Louisiana.

• Like 1

I've only played through Tyranny once so far so I'm not too "familiar" with the music yet but I feel like there were a few more stand out tracks in Pillars. The Twin Elms music, Defiance Bay, some of the Endless Paths music. Stalwart.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I don't know. I feel like Tyranny has better combat tracks and a more coherent atmosphere in terms of soundtrack. Pillars constantly oscillates between wanting to homage the sense of high-fantasy adventure of Baldur's Gate (most of the combat music) with the cold, evocative atmosphere of Icewind Dale with its own dark themes, and I don't think the balance was hit in that respect. Also, while The White March has the highest highs (the Stalwart theme and that short track that plays when the White Forge is awakened, and also that really nice combat track that plays with the Alpine Dragon), it also has some really low lows, like that annoying track that plays in the cave of the Flame-That-Whispers ogres.

But of course, as with all music, this is very subjective, and I have a very, very rudimentary understanding of composition and instrumentation choices.

EDIT: Added some positive examples because I realize I was a bit vague in the praise.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver
  • Like 1

@Justin

Lets play a what if game a little bit if you won't mind.

If you would like to revisit any of your creations, which one would it be and why. Also, how from the current perspective you'd like to change it. What type of tune would it carry. to what you could compare your own alteration?

I like him, but there are some duds. For example, the main menu tunes are very annoying.

So you say, but I was listening to it while doing my squats, and around the 1:00 mark I felt like the mother****ing Archon of Iron...

Heck yeah!  I was fixing some lunch while it was on the loading screen, and I thought: "This must be what it feels like when Kyros makes a sandwich."

The title theme has some kind of magic power to make anything feel epic.

• 4 weeks later...

This is actually a very opportune thread... I was really hoping the Twin Rivers theme, which I think is the best track in the game, would be included in the official soundtrack, but unfortunately it isn't. Is there a place I can get this for decontextualized listening?

This is actually a very opportune thread... I was really hoping the Twin Rivers theme, which I think is the best track in the game, would be included in the official soundtrack, but unfortunately it isn't. Is there a place I can get this for decontextualized listening?

Hey Pop, are you referring to the music heard here?

Hey Pop, are you referring to the music heard here?

Where are you referring to? The place I'm thinking of is the area with the entrance into the Oldwalls to the west of Lethian's Crossing.

• 4 weeks later...