Legendary Rimeskull: Location Closing/Forced Movement Issue

Nym

Question

So, the Stone Head locations in this scenario have the following condition,

At This Location: When you defeat a henchman, automatically close the location it came from, then each character at that location moves to an open Stone Head location. When all Stone head locations are closed, all characters move to the Sihedron Circle.

However, the adjacent movement restriction imposed by the Legendary difficulty setting still applies to this forced movement so if there are no open Stone Heads proximate to the one you just closed, you can't do anything. This interaction can't be intended, right? It if was then a fail-state ought to trigger and end the scenario rather than leaving you stuck in limbo.

I managed to bypass this problem by resetting the game, which allowed the currently active character to move into a closed location upon loading my save. After that, the other characters at that location simply didn't have the movement condition trigger at all and normal play continued, proceeding on to the next character in the turn order. I doubt that interaction is intended either, but it at least saved me the trouble of restarting the scenario from scratch and arduously planning closures to avoid anyone getting trapped at a location.

I assume the same issue would present if the last Stone Head you closed did not have an open path to the Sihedron Circle location, but I was lucky enough that the last Head I closed had a link. But I did encounter a second issue. Only the two characters at the location I was closing were moved to the Sihedron Circle, while my other four characters at different locations all remained in place.

To summarize,

Issue 1:  When playing the Rimeskull scenario on Legendary difficulty, the "At This Location" condition can cause characters to become trapped when closing a Stone Head location if they have no adjacent open locations to which they can move.

Issue 2: After closing the final Stone Head location, only some characters get moved to the central Sihedron Circle. I think it only moves characters in locations with a link to the Sihedron Circle, but I'm not sure and haven't gone back to test anything.

Edited by Nym

6 answers to this question

Surely, part of the difficulty of the Legendary restriction on movement is forcing you to plan your initial character distribution? If you do it wrong, you can expect to suffer (of course the whole thing can go down the toilet if you meet a frickin' Harpy). Legendary difficulty means you have to think and plan more, not just commit more Blessings to your checks and do more healing. (Not that I don't feel your pain!)

Surely, part of the difficulty of the Legendary restriction on movement is forcing you to plan your initial character distribution? If you do it wrong, you can expect to suffer (of course the whole thing can go down the toilet if you meet a frickin' Harpy). Legendary difficulty means you have to think and plan more, not just commit more Blessings to your checks and do more healing. (Not that I don't feel your pain!)

I would accept this as an explanation if the game forced you to forgo the free movement as a penalty, or hell, even if it flat out failed the scenario when you have no valid move location, but that's not what happens. The game simply stalls out on the movement prompt and you're forced to either forfeit manually from the options menu or quit the application to re-jigger it as I did.

If it is intended then the game needs to give you some kind of feedback.

Legendary is hard, and it supposed to be, and you should be expected to plan for difficulty as outlined in the rules. Technical issues are not part of that bargain, and a player would be justified in having their hard work undone by a random bug. You're being flippant, and the support forum isn't really a good place for that.

Edited by Nym

I really like to believe this was an oversight by the developers and not just something they haven't playtested or thought out throughly when playing on legendary mode.

With issue 2: Based on the golden rule, scenarios overrule locations so by that definition, on legendary mode, on last location closed, no character can move to sihedron circle unless they are adjacent to it, so it is working as intended.

With issue 1: it has been reported many times that this behavior is abnormal. However, i do not know if the devs have acknowledged this yet or they know about it but are not telling us it is. The easy fix would be to just do a round menu/vault trip back into the game. I do believe this is just an error in coding and so an oversight by the devs. I don't like the bug but let's face it, it isn't as bad as the other nasty bugs that are present and unfixable, just annoying.

Also, going back to the golden rule, again scenarios overrule locations so you shouldn't be able to move. HOWEVER the game shouldn't lockup either and force you to do menu trips to avert this.

mccrispy, i respect your response, i'm all for coming up plans and thinking before completing each legendary scenario but this isn't really the issue here. The game just locks up, you can't move anywhere and the game won't proceed if you have no adjacent locations to move.

Edited by aznxknight
  • Like 1

@aznknight: don't think for one minute that I am defending OBS or suggesting that it's OK for the game to lock up and arbitrarily screw your game despite your careful planning and understanding/exploiting (in an skillful manner) the rules/card powers. It isn't OK and I'm not defending them. At all. Quite the reverse.