Laptop suggestions

Gorgon

I need it for

Compiling.

3dsmax. 

Unreal Engine. 

Photoshop and the like.

I cant afford (or don't want) to pay for a top of the line machine mostly because of the sense of getting so little for my money once I enter the laptop scene. With no form factor and little in the way of interchangeability producers for the high end market can get away with nearly anything. 

So I guess an 'expandable' is the keyword here.

External GPU, maybe one of those wacom digitizer plates if a digitizer screen is too expensive. 

You can't run all that on battery though and at some point it all adds up and you might as well get a small form factor PC. What do I realistically have room for in my bag ?. I guess one 'thing' other than the laptop.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Yeah I'm starting to realise it would come to twice that at least. However, with an external GPU and options, i dunno how good they are haven't used one, for compiling with GPUs. 

I mean that would be the point of an external GPU, you get a middle of the road laptop and spend the money on an upgradable GPU package and just lug it around with you whenever you need it. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Most of the EGPUu adaptors I've seen are very bulky. They need their own PSU after all. Probably not something you can just lug around. And there are DYI versions without a PSU which are just the connectors, they don't enclose the card. Probably not a long term solution, one wrong tug at the wires and you break everything. 

It really can't take up much more space than the GPU itself and still call itself portable. I think EGPUs are mostly meant to sit at home enabling you to plug your laptop into a bigger screen, the EGPU and the charging station. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

If you can sell a kidney or something I would recommend the Gigabyte Aero 14.

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB
  • 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
  • 94.24Wh Huge Battery Capacity for Full-Day Productivity
  • Only 19.9mm slim, 1.89kg Lightweight
  • Unique Aesthetics with all aluminum robust body
  • Slim and light Adapter with USB Charging Port
  • QHD IPS Display with Wide Viewing Angle
  • Blazing-fast M.2 PCIe Gen3 X4 SSD: Reach 2000MB/s (optional)
  • USB 3.1 Type-C: 10Gbps / 5V 3A
  • HDMI 2.0: Ultra HD 4K 60Hz Output
  • DDR4 2133/2400 MHZ – Up to 32GB
  • Dolby Digital Plus™: Surround Sound Anywhere, Everywhere

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=6135#kf

It would cover all your needs, but the problem is the price. Like you predicted, it would probably end up closer to 2200 than 1100€.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

They aren't selling in Europe near as I can tell.

http://www.pricerunner.dk/pi/27-3402658/Baerbar/ASUS-GL502VS-FY081T-Produkt-Info

Anyway this one sports a 1070 and it's cheaper. Of course they cut corners elsewhere. Only 512 gb total, 1080p display and It doesn't have the huge battery. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

My trusty old made to order Alienware laptop is still going strong, 3 years later. Runs physically based rendering without problems (except for massive heat generation, so not for small rooms) and just about every game/application I've thrown at it like a dream. The price was not for the faint of heart though. Yes, I know, ostensibly a gaming machine, but that's probably what I use it the least for.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There are addons that you mount on the laptop that provide external cooling, thus reducing the amount of cooling need by the laptop fan. Just google laptop cooler pad.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Only works with side vents. The Asus above sucks air from the bottom. 

Near as ai can tell It's not one size fits all. Looks like it's on there with superglue as well. I mean if I had a laptop that was making a lot of noise and I was getting desperate that's probably the route I'd go. It's a bit clunky to be on anyone's wish list to from the get go though.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

• 1 month later...

So I'm considering getting one of these ridiculous things instead. 

http://www.wacom.com/en-sg/products/pen-computers/wacom-mobilestudio-pro

It's a ****load of money.

Really want it though. Can't say I feel the same about owning any laptop nomatter how powerful it is. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

The most expensive model will run me 3200 Euros. The cheapest one is 1600. If I get the cheapest one I can just about get that AND a laptop like the above. 

There is a lot of Goldilocks marketing going on with the Wacoms though. Like offering 64 gb drives and 8 gb ram on the higher end versions (arguably inadequate) to try and steer you towards a more expensive purchase. What you really want is the superior digitiser, not Wacom's tablet computer that it is stuck to it. (bad value, few options for upgrade etc)

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Only a dual core though. Didn't know they even still made those. Still should be the business for design.

Is it an ultra low voltage chip? Those are normally dual core.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot