It's so annoying that....

What Obsidian has said in the past is the they'll never do this because of technical implementation reasons. This is one of those things that was heatedly argued about when Obsidian explained how they were going to handle things. (For anyone who doesn't know: at the start of each scenario, a % of basics/elites is culled. This % presumably increases with each scenario.)

The three main sides in this fiery debate were as follows:

1) Obsidian's way is better than the original way, so I'm actually happy.

2) Obsidian's way is worse than the original way, but I understand the technical reasons for it, so I'm okay with it.

3) Obsidian's way is worse than the original way, and I think I understand the programming of Obsidian's game better than Obsidian does, so I'm angry with their decision.

Feel free to pick your side and proceed from there. :)

• Like 1

I'm playing Deck 5 and still encountering Basic boons such as Mending and Leather Armor. Obsidian, anyway to remedy this and make it similar to the original game where Basics and Elites eventually get removed from the box?

There is already a system in place to do just that (almost).  Instead of choosing to send cards out of the game permanently, the app culls some percentage of Boons and Banes before each scenario.

At Deck 5, almost all Basic Cards and almost half of the Elite Cards are randomly removed from the vault before play.  It's non-persistent, so in each AD5 scenario there will is still the possibility to encounter some Basic/Elite boons.  At AD6 even more Elites should disappear.

Also, the random cull is divided amongst all Boons and Banes.  For example, it's possible that the game may remove far more Basic Banes than Boons from the game vault (or the other way around).

• Like 1

I'm also going to toss a #4 in there.

4) It's different, but there's really no practical way to address tabletop-style culling when you can play scenarios over and over or even go back to earlier Adventure Decks.

Not only is it the best solution to the meet the "infinite replay" feature of the app, it probably culls more Basic/Elites per scenario than you would have had a chance to naturally do so in tabletop play.  It's pretty unlikely that in the ten scenarios of AD3/AD4 you'd have encountered and removed nearly every Basic boon, but the game does exactly that when you hit AD5.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 3

4) It's different, but there's really no practical way to address tabletop-style culling when you can play scenarios over and over or even go back to earlier Adventure Decks.

Good point -- when describing Side #2, I should have said "technical and gameplay" reasons. There's a wealth of both! (I'm not a fan of Side #3. In case that wasn't obvious. ;))

• Like 1

Not only is it the best solution to the meet the "infinite replay" feature of the app, it probably culls more Basic/Elites per scenario than you would have had a chance to naturally do so in tabletop play.  It's pretty unlikely that in the ten scenarios of AD3/AD4 you'd have encountered and removed nearly every Basic boon, but the game does exactly that when you hit AD5.

I completely agree with this. It's just pointless to implement the tabletop approach in a setup where it's trivial to replay scenarios. I have played more than a hundred games in my main campaign save.

I think the Obsidian approach is the best possible for this medium. And "manual" deck culling is one of my favorite rules in the tabletop game.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

Chest count: 136