Pillars of eternity or Tyranny?

kolpo

Why not both?  PoE isn't exactly expensive at this point.

PoE is $45 for the base game right now.

Actually, I just ordered last week a DVD version of it from Amazon for U$S 25. Might be part of a sale, though, but still, a heads up!

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

If you quit a game because you get annoyed at the name of one of the characters, I'm not sure how to measure whether you'll like any games TBH.

I can't help it, it forcibly reminds me of girls in black dresses with too much make-up pretending they're a witches coven or grown men and women sleeping in coffins because they truly believe they're vampires. I tried to get over it but every time I read it I dreaded the rest of the game being just as goth-bedtime-story edgy (which is why I'm asking if it is). Graven Ashe. It's about as subtle as Voldemort and it gets spammed at you over and over. Maybe I'm going about this wrong. I'll try again and make a character named Mortiferous Chaos or Killaman Slaughtermaster and just try to be as edgy as possible.

EDIT: Seriously though, serious question, is there a lot of tryhard edgelord nonsense? It's not just the name, really. It's just demonstrative, but then there's the whole bleeding eyeball statue as the opening shot and the heads on pikes everywhere. Am I in for something that's trying way too hard to be dark? I went into this knowing literally nothing about the game, so I assume I just had the wrong expectations. I went into PoE with mostly a roleplayer mindset but that seems to be fairly difficult for me with Tyranny so far.

I haven't played it yet but I agree with your remarks about the names and you are likewise voicing my same fear about the game, and reasons to why I dislike the "dark fantasy" genre as a whole. The very concept suggests a genre that is thought from appearance down than from the themes and narrative upwards. It is as I wrote elsewhere in the "survey for the future" thread, the best way to go about achieving a particular tone is by letting it emerge naturally from the ideas, and to just forcefully put a bunch of murder and ominous names and heads of pikes you are only overcooking something to the point the underlying themes and narrative no longer matter. Take the latest film adaptation of Macbeth for example: it is a grim storyline and told in a 'suitably' grim fashion, only that the atmosphere and style is pervasive throughout, regardless of which situation one finds themselves in at the story; you could pick up all the elements that conform the face of that film, from the atonal, cluster-heavy avant-folk music to the desolate landscapes and intensely colour-graded shots, and apply it to just about any story, all to the same effect. I fear Tyranny may play like this for me when I get around to it (which shouldn't be far from now). Regardless I am all the same looking forward to it.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

actually, you reminded me of something I hated about Tyranny, player characters have terrible pathfinding and get lost even under the simplest circumstances 

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah probably not a game for you. I went in expecting Conan The Barbarian levels of campyness, so far not dissapointed.

uhm.

conan the barbarian (1982) were only campy in select moments and also 'cause it took itself too serious.  as such, much o' the camp o' the first movie were kinda ironic... but not dramatic irony as that is something complete different.

never saw conan the barbarian (2011), so am unable to comment.

am s'posing you could be referencing the comics as they were also entitled conan the barbarian, no? there were numerous other post howard reinventions o' conan and more than a few o' those were indeed embracing camp.

the robert e. howard conan stories didn't go in much for camp, but none were actual called conan the barbarian

dunno.  is tyranny accidental and isolated campy as were 1982 conan?  

on the other hand, conan the destroyer fully embraced camp.  am admitting we never much enjoyed the conan sequel. regardless, am a bit confused by the observation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Graven Ashe is indeed a terrible name, not to mention a boring character.  Voices of Nerat, on the other hand...

/kisses tips of fingers

Magnifique! (So long as you can stomach over the top characters with a penchant for the dramatic) He's like a more criminally insane Q from Star Trek: TNG, and Q is one of my favorite characters ever.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I would recommend you to go for both games. If you are little bit tight on budget, I would recommned you to get Tyranny now, and PoW in a Black Friday or Winter sale. Ad if you go for it, I can only recommned you to buy both of the expansions in the same sale too.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

don't worry, if you make certain decisions in the first act, the game will railroad you into killing whole villages

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

ok, let me rephrase: if you join one of the two factions presented in the first act you will be railroaded into slaughtering entire tribes

Walsingham said:

conan the barbarian (1982) were only campy in select moments and also 'cause it took itself too serious.  as such, much o' the camp o' the first movie were kinda ironic... but not dramatic irony as that is something complete different.

Sure, but that's kinda what made it what it is - ironically, today it's seen as an unapologetic campy and 'selfaware' little classic, that knew it was being over the top. 

It's in this light I compared it to Tyranny, which is imho also looking to be an unapologetic campy and 'selfaware' little classic

Fortune favors the bald.

there are 4 possible outcomes in the act 1... i do not recall being forced into anything. There was a trade off in decisions though

for the third time now: siding with the Disfavored in act 1 will force you to solve most quests in act 2 by killing everyone. the quest log will literally say "kill everyone for Ashe" for multiple quests.

there, happy?

Walsingham said:

I'm not talking about that.

I don't remember how the quests are titled, but it has something to do with killing Beastman tribes in two locations, Scarlet Chorus patrols, Bronze mercenaries, and some faction I forgot the name of

you literally have to wipe entire areas clean to progress

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Sure, but that's kinda what made it what it is - ironically, today it's seen as an unapologetic campy and 'selfaware' little classic, that knew it was being over the top. 

It's in this light I compared it to Tyranny, which is imho also looking to be an unapologetic campy and 'selfaware' little classic

john milius, the guy who wrote apocalypse now was tabbed to write and direct conan (1982).  dead serious... seriously.

today we can see camp, but conan and its actors and director and producer were complete unaware o' their camp.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In Pillars combats and, arguably, overall lore is waaayy better than in Tyranny. But Tyranny is makes it even with more focused narrative and by fact that choices matter more that in Pillars. in Tyranny PC class, and actions is making heavier impact on the story and the world.... and that why last half of Act 2 and the ending may become the biggest "why? f you that why?" from Obsidiant, second only to ending of F:NV for YesMan.

Sorry for my bag English.  :dancing:

A local gamestore had Pillars of Eternity for only 15€ so I bought it, maybe triggered the release of the new game(tyranny) this sale. 

I shall play a chanter in my first game they sound fun but I hope I shall find a druid companion :)

A local gamestore had Pillars of Eternity for only 15€ so I bought it, maybe triggered the release of the new game(tyranny) this sale. 

I shall play a chanter in my first game they sound fun but I hope I shall find a druid companion :)

Without spoiling too much, all classes are represented as companions. (with monk, rouge and barbarian being in the expansions though)

Fortune favors the bald.

... If you own White March, which I imagine kolpo wouldn't if he bought the game retail. Without it, the game doesn't contain Rogue, Monk and Barbarian.

If I enjoy the campaign of the core game then shall I buy the white march after I finish it.

I gotta say I really love the art in Tyranny.  I think the art in both games is great, but I'm finding the art in Tyranny more appealing. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks