Pillars of eternity or Tyranny?

kolpo

I'd recommend Tyranny generally speaking.

But Pillars of Eternity is a longer game by many accounts if that's a factor for you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Maybe it's the new game smell but I prefer Tyranny. I think they've tightened up the combat engine a bit.

PoE has a bit more of some of those elements you've listed, though.

Pretty much this

I prefer Tyranny but only Pillars has shapeshifting and summoning

Free games updated 3/4/21

I haven't finished Tyranny yet but I'm liking that better so far on the strength of more interesting setting, story, and characters. Also, while the combat feels just as tedious and mediocre, there is less of it, which is a plus.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why not both?  PoE isn't exactly expensive at this point.

PoE is $45 for the base game right now.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

For what it's worth, here are the metacritic scores:

• Pillars of Eternity: 89 critics / 8.3 user score
  • Tyranny: 83 critics / 8.4 user score

They're both pretty good ratings. It probably depends more on what you enjoy as a gamer.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Keep in mind that Pillars of Eternity is out for longer than Tyranny - user scores have a tendency of slowly dropping over time as people sober up somewhat. IIRC Pillars started at like 9.2 over at metacritic.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

If you quit a game because you get annoyed at the name of one of the characters, I'm not sure how to measure whether you'll like any games TBH.

I can't help it, it forcibly reminds me of girls in black dresses with too much make-up pretending they're a witches coven or grown men and women sleeping in coffins because they truly believe they're vampires. I tried to get over it but every time I read it I dreaded the rest of the game being just as goth-bedtime-story edgy (which is why I'm asking if it is). Graven Ashe. It's about as subtle as Voldemort and it gets spammed at you over and over. Maybe I'm going about this wrong. I'll try again and make a character named Mortiferous Chaos or Killaman Slaughtermaster and just try to be as edgy as possible.

EDIT: Seriously though, serious question, is there a lot of tryhard edgelord nonsense? It's not just the name, really. It's just demonstrative, but then there's the whole bleeding eyeball statue as the opening shot and the heads on pikes everywhere. Am I in for something that's trying way too hard to be dark? I went into this knowing literally nothing about the game, so I assume I just had the wrong expectations. I went into PoE with mostly a roleplayer mindset but that seems to be fairly difficult for me with Tyranny so far.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

The game is full of two factions, The Scarlet Chorus and The Disfavored, who are p. full of themselves. The Disfavored are a bunch of elitists who think that literally no one other than Northmen can possibly be as good as them, the Scarlet Chorus are basically the raiders from Fallout.

FWIW 'Graven' apparently means 'an image of worship' which is somewhat appropriate given the attitude the Disfavored have towards their boy Ashe.

this game is very dark, yes. I don't know if it feels forced to everyone, that's subjective I'd imagine, but there is a lot of killing and torture. oh, and I'll put this one in spoiler tags, but:

Ashe will ask you to find his daughter, then when you finally do, he'll ask you to kill her and her new-born baby

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well it wasn't just that name, it was just a bit of vocal point. Like I edited my previous post to say, it was walking straight into a field of heads and corpses on pikes and the opening shot of a giant statue crying blood. Twas a bit much.

this game is very dark, yes. I don't know if it feels forced to everyone, that's subjective I'd imagine, but there is a lot of killing and torture. oh, and I'll put this one in spoiler tags, but:

Ashe will ask you to find his daughter, then when you finally do, he'll ask you to kill her and her new-born baby

Well, dark isn't bad by default. Pillars was plenty dark what with the whole babies with no souls and murdering Gods and the whole reveal about said Gods. But I rarely felt it was cartoonishly so, which this game kinda unexpectedly punched me in the face with. Like I said, I didn't read anything about Tyranny in advance, I guess this didn't really fit my expectation of a new Obsidian Isometric RPG. I'll come back to it in a day or two with adjusted expectations, maybe I'll react to it better. :shrugz:

Edited by TrueNeutral

Not sure, I like both, although it looks like more work went into PoE, than Tyranny. Tyranny, has interesting C&C and it seems it straight up set up itself for DLCs and expansion (just look how many icons are unlit on the Mountain spire and that all endings are basically cut at one place, with things developing in various areas as per your choices)

In both titles I do not like combat that much. interface is better in PoE, the only interesting part implemented in Tyranny is the spell crafting. The unique cores tied to characters like gravelight or life heavily change gameplay and in case of gravelight, you need to work for it.

I feel like heavy armor is really useless in Tyranny due to lower party count, and game is more about outDPSing and outhealinh your enemy, so heavy armor is kind of meh... dodge and parry with deflection way superior.

In PoE you could afford to have 1 or 2 guys in heavy armor

• Like 1

This is what I feared, I probably won't be getting it. Not that I always stay away from that kind of content, far from it - but in this isometric party-based CRPG format, I'm not exactly chuffed to bits, enduring choices and consequences in a 20h stream of contrived evil deeds. I'm looking forward to Torment (Ironic, given its title, no?) and PoE2. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

This is what I feared, I probably won't be getting it. Not that I always stay away from that kind of content, far from it - but in this isometric party-based CRPG format, I'm not exactly chuffed to bits, enduring choices and consequences in a 20h stream of contrived evil deeds. I'm looking forward to Torment (Ironic, given its title, no?) and PoE2. :)

On the plus side most of the quests like that have multiple resolutions so you don't have to be all grimdark all the time or even most of the time. The NPCs sometimes even react to it if they feel you are too nice or too merciful

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21