Will there be a skull and shackles next?

I sure hope so.  I've never heard of Pathfinder card game before picking this game up, and only got it on a whim.  It turned out to be a very good choice.  I wouldn't mind pre-paying for the next release.

PFID-F5D45B8AF20421AC

I supose that it depends a lot of how well this game sells. If there is no Profit, why make more games that don't give Profit to makers.

If the Rice of the rune lord is huge selling success, why not print more money?

So it is all about dollars. The dev team is definitely interested in making new content to the game. But is the company willing to put more effort to it depends on the profit that the game bring to the company.

Now it is too early to tell. The first game is not ready, The multiplatform is not ready, Steam version is not ready. So a lot has to be done before we can see if this game is success or not it big scale.

I definitely hope that this game sells well, so that I can see more content. But next year will tell a lot about how that is folding out.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure if they do another game, it will be heavily dependent on what success they get when they release on Steam. However, should that go well, I suspect (and hope) they'll go with Mummy's Mask, which is the most recent tabletop entry, and also -so far- appears to the best-received set since the original Runelords.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Actually, I would also hope they bring in some of the other characters - not just Skulls or Mummy's or Wrath, but also some of the class deck characters.  And be able to play with them in some of the different adventures (Ex - I would love to play as Varril, from Inquisitors.  Or... Get Me A GOBLIN TEAM!!!!)

My hope is that Obsidian follows a path like the following:

1. Finish Runelords for mobile.

2. Finalize everything and fix the major bugs.

3. Release for Steam.

4. Get great reviews and make bucketfulls of money.

5. Proceed with the subsequent base sets.

I, too, would like to see Mummy's Mask next, as it has the best designed characters accompanied by good theme and flavor. But I'm okay with anything if we get all the base sets eventually. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My hope is that Obsidian follows a path like the following:

1. Finish Runelords for mobile.

2. Finalize everything and fix the major bugs.

3. Release for Steam.

4. Get great reviews and make bucketfulls of money.

5. Proceed with the subsequent base sets.

I, too, would like to see Mummy's Mask next, as it has the best designed characters accompanied by good theme and flavor. But I'm okay with anything if we get all the base sets eventually. :)

I completely agree with Borissimo on every point, I just want to add why I think Mummy's Mask should be the next set :

- Skulls & Shackles had some innovations, but the ship mechanic was very hit/miss based on who you ask. I personally hated it, as it was very abstract and not very fun. Also, ships would need unique mechanics implemented into the game, which are only usefull for S&S

- Wrath has many negative responses, thanks to it's sometimes very random difficulty spikes, up to unwinnable scenairos due to luck. As a personal note, I also think the heroes vs. demons theme was done to death in games. Because Wrath characters are different in power level (better boons, mythic charges etc) than n other sets, they would interact badly with some of the phone release functions, like moving characters between parties. (if it will be enabled between sets mid-campaign).

- and now we have Mummy's Mask. It's the best received set since RotR, and introduces mechanics which could benefit other parts of the Pathfinder App, like curses, triggers and traders could really spice up quest mode. Traders could make finding treasure cards easier, and triggers give exploration powers a well deserved risk aspect. Also, interest for MM currently is high with people playing the physical game.

• Like 2

I don't know why no one is suggesting this, but wouldn't it make much more sense to expand the content of the game by offering the season of the runelords and/or the season of the goblins APs? They use the same cards most of the time and just change the rules around, so it would probably be much better in terms of cost / scenario (although there are some very heavy modifications at times, so it's not so clear cut).

I don't think they'd consider mummies mask to be available as a free to play app next, since that would probably cut the sales of the set.

Using the APs in chronological order makes more sense to me, since the sales they can have with those sets is probably saturated by the time they hit the app.

• Like 4

I don't know why no one is suggesting this, but wouldn't it make much more sense to expand the content of the game by offering the season of the runelords and/or the season of the goblins APs?

Hear, hear!

The Seasons digital download prices at Paizo's never seemed truly tempting to me, but I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for them if they get integrated into Obsidian's app (even more so than any other main set, since I already own the physical games, and I'd basically be paying for shuffle-free convenience if they're the next incarnation of the app)

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

I agree that Mummy's Mask is the most interesting set to play digitally right now, since it has some much needed changes that make overall gameplay more interesting. The traders in particular give a reason to actually work on acquiring undesired boons. The setting is fresh as well.

So do roll margins on many cards, that reward rolls made close to the target number.

However, Mummy's Mask, as far as I have seen in the physical game up to ad2 is also a set highly tailored to the characters that come with the set and the add on deck. I think for this game, getting the first 7 class decks in would be the better way to go and after maybe an advert ture path specifically for the online version, offering a unique experience for it.

But all that should happen after the steam version and online multiplayer are out.