What are you playing right now

Gorth

So I did a playthrough of Ladykiller in a Bind. It's really good and also not even a little family friendly.

I had mixed feelings in the end, anger, sadness, happiness. Which I guess qualifies as a success on the game's part.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So I did a playthrough of Ladykiller in a Bind. It's really good and also not even a little family friendly.

I had mixed feelings in the end, anger, sadness, happiness. Which I guess qualifies as a success on the game's part.

Did you get to kill any ladies?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Oh absolutely. Complete ladykiller, I slayed them all. And was absolutely not stood up at all by anyone at any point.

Oh absolutely. Complete ladykiller, I slayed them all. And was absolutely not stood up at all by anyone at any point.

giphy.gif

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hell, I'd even argue that unless you really really only like one of the classes min-maxing for one class is overall a bad thing to do in DDDA.

How so?

Given monsters elemental weaknesses magick archer is easily the best DPS class.

Especially in BI where pawns get perma-killed all the time.

That's why having to do 90 levels of sorcerer first is such a pain.

No it's not, Magick Archer is the easiest DPS class to play perhaps (ricochet arrow in BBI is easy win against most trash and you don't even really need to bother with aiming), but generally doesn't do as great against the bosses as other classes imho (it generally doesn't target weakpoints). I'd argue the "best" (if min-maxing) would be Ranger with Tenfold Flurry using explosive arrows, as that will turn any (boss)fight into a really short one (albeit a rather expensive one, due to explosive arrow expenditure). Hell, if I'd min-max I'd probably do it for Ranger, as min-maxing for that will cut down on the amount of flurries you need and as such on the costs of the explosive arrows.

Personally I only really used Magick Archer against Death which, aside from Daemon, is the only insta-killing enemy in BBI that I recall*, and Death is more cheap/annoying than hard (because pawns are dumb as nails).

Not to mention that this kind of min-maxing will result in you having to neglect at least one defense stat (be it physical or magical defense). I imagine Awakened Daemon to be rather painful if either defense stat is low... (I made sure mine were sort of balanced)

*) oh wait, there's the Maneaters, but those shouldn't be a problem anymore as soon as you're on a first name basis with Death and Daemon

Edited by marelooke

While actively trying to ignore marelooke on the off-chance that I'd actually start enjoying Dragon's Dogma which'd hog all my free time, I'm playing through DOOM and Dishonored 2 again. Through DOOM because it's awesome - not much to prove there considering I've already 100% the game on second highest difficulty (ultra-nightmare just removes saving. Completely. When you die, you lose all progress through entire campaign.), it's just... Fun. I'm still having a blast playing it, even after finishing it twice and putting over 50 hours into it.

Dishonored 2's a significantly different experience now that I'm trying to go for a high chaos run. The combat mechanics are a lot more fun (and a lot more challenging) than they were in the original, and I do like noticing a lot of subtle changes based on my previous actions - however, the game does not seem to be nearly as reactive as the original was, which is a big shame. Nonetheless there's a ton of details and some major parts changing based on what you're doing anyway, so it's still way above majority of games on the market. I do have to criticize guards when you attack them head-on tho, it seems that for as long as you prevent them from ringing an alarm, guards in a different courtyard will completely ignore gunshots and explosions from an adjacent street.

Final Fantasy VI

Don't know if I want to grind some stuff (unlikely), do some side dungeons (maybe), or hunt down abilities for characters (also maybe). Or just hit the final dungeon and call it.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy VI

Don't know if I want to grind some stuff (unlikely), do some side dungeons (maybe), or hunt down abilities for characters (also maybe). Or just hit the final dungeon and call it.

I HATE how they make Kefka look in the new FF VI. His new sprite doesn't look like the homicidal clown as the original. Otherwise one of my favorite FF

• Like 1

Just saw Shturmoviks launch an air strike in Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front. Never seen that before, might be something new. You can actually see the planes flying and bombing and strafing, really cool.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I finished mission 10 in Shadow Tactics.  It was a mission full of sadness.  I took my anger and anguish out on the enemies in the mission, killing every last one of them.  I laughed gleefully as I dumped their corpses into wells and off the sides of cliffs.  May their bodies never be found and their souls never find rest.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I just started Mafia 3 (a side-effect from buying a Christmas present: I got a code for Mafia 3 for myself) and it's.. surprisingly good! I was expecting a bug-fest, a dull open world and half decent graphics.

What I got is a bug-fest, a great open world and fantastic graphics (although a bit uneven in places, especially water). The story also seems very well written and done in a kind of a movie-like style (cut scenes from 20 years later recapping my story and such).

I'm looking forward to continuing this game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Whoever came up with the idea that time limited missions of XCOM 2 (which is like... The majority I played thus far) would be fun should get smacked. I'm mostly loving the game now that it's surprised me in a monthly humble bundle, and I really looked forward to mechanics like concealment which would let me carefully position my troops before engaging - except none of that happens as careful positioning takes turns and turns are a resource the game refuses to grant me.

Edit: In retrospect, overwatch crawl wasn't that bad.

Edited by Fenixp

Whoever came up with the idea that time limited missions of XCOM 2 (which is like... The majority I played thus far) would be fun should get smacked. I'm mostly loving the game now that it's surprised me in a monthly humble bundle, and I really looked forward to mechanics like concealment which would let me carefully position my troops before engaging - except none of that happens as careful positioning takes turns and turns are a resource the game refuses to grant me.

Edit: In retrospect, overwatch crawl wasn't that bad.

I love the time limits. It puts you into a position where you sometimes have to choose between taking real risks or failing an objective. I would never lose any troops if it weren't for that sense of urgency.

I love the time limits. It puts you into a position where you sometimes have to choose between taking real risks or failing an objective. I would never lose any troops if it weren't for that sense of urgency.

I mostly just feel that they're extremely badly implemented. As it is the game promotes reckless rushing of the objective as opposed to more systematic approach - DOOM's what I play for reckless, not a turn-based tactical strategy. And often it doesn't even make any sense. The situation would be significantly improved if:

a) Countdown would only start when you break concealment (it's funny how all events get extremely urgent even when Skyranger arrives, even in spite of everything being as usual.)

b) When countdown finishes, you don't get an automatic loss, but instead geometrical increase in difficulty turn by turn (rapid reinforcements)

I hate time limits I can't influence in any way and I hate time limits which result in an automatic loss. Luckily I found this. I'd also like to point out that games like Darkest Dugeon or Dark Souls showed us there are much better ways of giving player incentive to take risks without stooping to such a cheap solution. Hell, the original XCOM had a good idea with MELD canisters.

Edited by Fenixp

There are no time limits in any of the Shadow Tactics missions I've done so far, though each mission has various extra goals you can achieve and one of those is completing the mission in under a certain time, for speedrunner types.  There are situations you will occasionally encounter where an enemy soldier will go into a script once one of your characters reaches a certain point in the level or a certain distance from him and he'll start executing civilians.  At this point, as heroes, your characters have incentive to act quickly and more rashly than they would otherwise in order to try to save as many civilians as possible.  This is not, in any way, necessary.  You can let the civilians die and continue along at a slow, methodical pace, but it does add moments of urgency if you choose to be extra heroic that are in no way mandatory.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

There are no time limits in any of the Shadow Tactics missions I've done so far, though each mission has various extra goals you can achieve and one of those is completing the mission in under a certain time, for speedrunner types.  There are situations you will occasionally encounter where an enemy soldier will go into a script once one of your characters reaches a certain point in the level or a certain distance from him and he'll start executing civilians.  At this point, as heroes, your characters have incentive to act quickly and more rashly than they would otherwise in order to try to save as many civilians as possible.  This is not, in any way, necessary.  You can let the civilians die and continue along at a slow, methodical pace, but it does add moments of urgency if you choose to be extra heroic that are in no way mandatory.

This shounds like much better implementation of "urgency" than hard coded limits.

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

This shounds like much better implementation of "urgency" than hard coded limits.

Well the sad thing is that the expansion for the first XCOM already got it right, the limited resource just wasn't as needed to act as a sufficient draw - in other words, you were usually drowning in it, but rebalance could have fixed that. See, XCOM: Enemy Within introduced resource called 'MELD'. It could only be obtained from so-called MELD canisters, two of which were present in majority of missions. The way they worked tho was that one was on a very strict time limit and difficult to obtain, while the time limit of the other was a bit looser - so getting both was fairly difficult, getting one reasonably easy, and getting none still didn't impede mission progress. And the resource acquired from the canisters wasn't critical in any way, it 'just' allowed you to purchase genetic mods for your soldiers and mech suits.

I hate time limits I can't influence in any way and I hate time limits which result in an automatic loss. Luckily I found this. I'd also like to point out that games like Darkest Dugeon or Dark Souls showed us there are much better ways of giving player incentive to take risks without stooping to such a cheap solution. Hell, the original XCOM had a good idea with MELD canisters.

Love the True Concealment mod. One of the most fun missions I ever had was one where I only had 3 turns to hack the objective (True Concealment adds a dark event that halves the turn timer), so I had to thread the needle between three enemy pods to get to the objective without breaking concealment. There's no tension like watching an Advent Beastmaster and his chrysallid pets pathing towards your concealed soldiers while you're preying they won't manage to flank anyone.

So I decided to go onto Kefka's tower. Why would you make me use 12 characters for this? :( I've barely touched over half these guys. Died to ninjas pretty badly.

I've also played Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus. I thoroughly enjoyed them, but I don't think they'd be anyone else around here's cup of tea. They're probably the most waifu game I've ever seen.

Star Wars Rebellion. Shattered the Rebellion in one sector they didn't bother using diplomats on, turned the tide in my favour. Now begins the annoying "Hunt for Bin Laden"-esque phase of the game as I try to run Luke to ground and find the Rebel HQ.

Ever since it came out I tried - often and hard - to like Rebellion. The last time I tried was when it was released at GOG not too long ago. I... just can't get into it. There's something entirely off-putting in the game mechanics for me that I can't quite put my finger on, and this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed Master of Orion 3.

Yeah, it's not for everyone, perhaps not a great game. Can be super micro-management heavy though, what with having to send spies on your own planets, enemy planets, neutral planets, make sure you have enough mine & refinery combos and those planets are defended as well as planning offensives, etc. The AI helps by being really dumb :p Certainly is the kind of game that some one should take another crack at, though Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ultimate General: Civil War. Got it from Steam on some sale, still in early access but there's already loads of battles to be fought. Really enjoying the game so far.

Dying Light: Whatever the addon / DLC is called. Getting annoyed with all of them big *** zombies that eat tons of damage without dying and with the bugs where you get stuck inside the car.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Mostly Fallout 4. And really, the game' s not very good when compared to its direct predecessors (by which I mean Fallout 3/NV). All the different parts of the game just don't seem to work well together at all.

But I could probably see past those issues if it weren't for the excessively long loading times (the game doesn't exactly look good enough to justify those...from what I read textures are just badly compressed) and the inconsistent mess that is the UI (then again, game UI's apparently just need to be pretty, not functional...). Going to try to fix the loading times, not sure if I can fix the UI though since f4se seems to disable achievements (and breaks the mods that re-enable them for me), assuming someone already made a mod to fix the UI to begin with.

Mostly Fallout 4. And really, the game' s not very good when compared to its direct predecessors (by which I mean Fallout 3/NV). All the different parts of the game just don't seem to work well together at all.

But I could probably see past those issues if it weren't for the excessively long loading times (the game doesn't exactly look good enough to justify those...from what I read textures are just badly compressed) and the inconsistent mess that is the UI (then again, game UI's apparently just need to be pretty, not functional...). Going to try to fix the loading times, not sure if I can fix the UI though since f4se seems to disable achievements (and breaks the mods that re-enable them for me), assuming someone already made a mod to fix the UI to begin with.

You clearly need some nice adult mod to spice up the game  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela