What are you playing right now

Gorth

Finished Heart of the Swarm. The campaign was good fun (Ha!), but the story wasn't anything special. Literally spending the entire campaign building up power so they can do one mission sequence in service of plot. That seems less than stellar.

Should have just built up power while moving the plot forward. Time to search for Jim at this dominion base! While we're here, let's assimilate some of the native forms into the swarm! But no.

Legacy of the Void's not much different in structure. Early on is plot, then a lot of getting more troops from different Protoss tribes, then finally some more plot. It's a little less dull about it though. Plus it's got Alarak, the evil protoss who looks like Darth Vader and is voiced by Q from Star Trek, and that helps a lot to make it more entertaining.

I've found Legacy of the Void good, but do not play Epilogue... it's terrible... easily the worst part of the game and it would be much better off if it never existed.

I think TrueNeutral said basically the same thing.

I'm dying to play it now.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think TrueNeutral said basically the same thing.

I'm dying to play it now.

final three "bonus" missions in which good space whale cthulhu turns Kerrigan into a space angel to kill bad space whale cthulhu. A lot of insanity in those last bits.

good space whale cthulhu turns Kerrigan into a space angel to kill bad space whale cthulhu

space whale cthulhu

How do you need to read more to want to play it? How?

• Like 1

Hopping between a bunch of games (as usual, I know. I certainly didn't learn "focus" from playing through Jade Empire ;-) ):

Doom: awesome so far. Nothing much to add really. If it moves, shoot it. Then curb stomp it. Good.

Fallout 4: turns out it was indeed me who was too dense to figure out the Perks screen. Oh well, more charisma and perception can't hurt I guess. Bethesda trying to disable achievements when modding is pretty darn obnoxious though, not sure why they'd even do that (so yeah, first things I added where the obligatory unofficial patch and a fix for the awful dialogue wheel). Power armor is pretty cool, though I guess a bit too common to my tastes (and tossed at you too early in the game to my liking, also, no need to learn how to use it this time around. Guess you learn that in lawyer school)

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen: completed my second playthrough and now going through hard mode, will stay there until I hit lvl200, then back to normal mode and finishing Bitterblack Isle. Ending of the 2nd playthrough was interesting I must say ;-)

So um... I found a fish and grabbed the fish and then I jumped with the fish and found a thing and did a thing with the thing and then there was this absolutely gorgeous bunch of things that I had to go and explore, which lead me to more ... Things that made ... Water flow under ... Water using ... Things.

I'm not entirely sure what the hell was happening, but I'm very happy about it and y'all should play Abzu.

• Like 1

I'm playing the first Witcher. I have had this game for ages, but the sword combat always turned me quit. It feels simplistic and unresponsive at the same time. But now after hitting level 30 I'm finally able to play as a mage or witch or whatever it is called in this setting, and combat is better.

After this it's Witcher II, which I too have had for ages and then Witcher III, which I got as a chrismas present. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Just out of curiosity, with all this Starcraft 2 talk, I was wondering if any of you have played the Nova missions?  Are they worth the $15?  That seems like a lot to me for 9 missions, but if it's good content I could be tempted.

Personally I did not touch them, but a handful of story missions, which you will most likely play once and never again, and they do not add anything to MP content... not worth it IMO, but I might be wrong

Ah, but I'm a weirdo who doesn't care about multi-player, and replays campaigns (I've played the DoW 1 campaign at least a half dozen times.)

Heck, I haven't even finished the regular campaigns (I just bought the Battle Chest a couple days ago) and I already want to play through at least once more to see the opposite tech/story choices, and then maybe a third time to pick optimal choices, and possibly on Brutal (I'll have to see how hard is, normal has been really easy so far.)

Honestly, I'm kind of annoyed that I have to choose multi-player just to play a skirmish versus AI. It's not a huge deal, but skirmish should be one of the front page choices, not hidden under multi-player.

I watched Jesse Cox play them on YouTube. The levels looked interesting with new gameplay hooks like in the campaign, but the story was a bit humdrum. Didn't seem worth the price to me, maybe if it goes on sale.

Also Normal is pretty much easy mode, but the following modes get pretty challenging. I'd say Brutal is about on par with the hardest levels of the original game.

I've never skirmished against the AI, I think WarCraft 3 ruined that for me because even the easy AI in skirmish mode was a cheating, overpowered jerk and required a completely different approach than the campaign AI or multiplayer. But if you enjoy the campaigns, I'd suggest finding a friend with the game and trying out the Co-op mode. It grabs some of the more interesting campaign missions and turns them into a two player deal with different tech trees. Does have freaking microtransactions, but honestly it was the most fun I had with SC2 and usually I'm like you, just in it for the campaigns.

Just out of curiosity, with all this Starcraft 2 talk, I was wondering if any of you have played the Nova missions? Are they worth the $15? That seems like a lot to me for 9 missions, but if it's good content I could be tempted.

I got a decent amount of time in it, was worth the price. Story could be better.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A few missions into Legacy of the Void now and it's reaffirmed my opinion that the Protoss are simultaneously the coolest race and also the dullest characters. You'd be hard pressed to write a less inspired lot, you really would. The only character drama in the whole thing so far is that one ancient preserver has a stick up her... whatever they have.

I'm loving what they did with unit customization. Heart of the Swarms mutations taken further. Now neither my Zealots nor my Dark Templar ever stay dead.

• Like 2

Well you haven't seen Alarak yet

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I did, in fact. Just met him yesterday, he seems delightful. That's probably just John de Lancie at this point, but we'll see where he goes.

• Like 1

Well I'm playing through Bg2 but I've also fiddled with other games I've already played like FO4, NWN2, ect. Kinda just looking for my next adventure. My resolution next year is to play the rpgs on my xbox 360 that I never beat so: Sacred 2, Risen, and Dragons Dogma. I might play Two Worlds

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

Picked up DA Inquisition Game of the Year while it was on sale over xmas, it was still cheaper by lots to do that than pick up the dlc on its own, and started a new game on it. Been awhile since that first run through but it's slowly coming back.  Possibly over-nerfing it with a Knight-Enchanter mage who I've equipped with gear that provides guard when I attack. 

There's something still amusing and likeable about Cassandra being an ashamed fan of Varric's pulp romance stories.

Ran through the Descent. Storywise it was interesting, game design-wise it was a pretty straightforward dungeon crawl. The only non-linear aspects to it are if you're ocd for the  collectible slice of stuff and that'll send you exploring just a touch more.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Picked up DA Inquisition Game of the Year while it was on sale over xmas, it was still cheaper by lots to do that than pick up the dlc on its own, and started a new game on it. Been awhile since that first run through but it's slowly coming back.  Possibly over-nerfing it with a Knight-Enchanter mage who I've equipped with gear that provides guard when I attack. 

There's something still amusing and likeable about Cassandra being an ashamed fan of Varric's pulp romance stories.

Ran through the Descent. Storywise it was interesting, game design-wise it was a pretty straightforward dungeon crawl. The only non-linear aspects to it are if you're ocd for the  collectible slice of stuff and that'll send you exploring just a touch more.

Just a touch?  It turns it into some kind of weird platformer that requires jumping off of places you'd normally never even consider jumping off of (and I honestly don't know how you'd realize some of them were there unless you were looking for them and had your gamma ridiculously high).  Honestly, while I thought the areas were visually amazing, that platforming really bothered me (admittedly, I hate platformers and platforming in general.  Oddly, I still love Mirror's Edge.)  It was just so out of line with everything else in the game, that despite me thinking I'd explored everything had me going to a wiki because I couldn't figure out for the life of me how I'd missed so many gears.

Sorry if that came off as overly vehement, but that just really annoyed me, and makes me worry that Bioware will add more of that to their games in the future (though I probably won't buy any of them until they're deeply discounted game of the year editions.)