What are you playing right now

Gorth

rotating the camera

When I played the demo, that aspect was what irked me the most. I would have vastly preferred the game to feature a fixed isometric view.

I'm of the completely opposite mind.  I very much appreciate being able to freely rotate the camera to get a better look at things.

It's not that it is a bad mechanic, but I never liked that in later Commandos games.

To me, having a fixed camera limits where you can hide enemies in the level, particularly with tall buildings or cliffs.  With a fixed camera you either can't hide enemies on the sides of buildings you can't see or you have to have transparency through the building (otherwise the game would be thoroughly unfair), which gives away where the enemy is.  With a free rotating camera you can hide enemies wherever you like and it's up to the player to rotate the camera to find enemies that they wouldn't see from a certain camera angle.  I guess I just really like casing the area and formulating a plan, and playing with the camera gives me something more to do while I'm studying guard routes and calculating timings in my head, it makes me feel more in control, more an active participant of the planning stage somehow, if that makes any sense.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In other words, you actually enjoy reduced clarity of a scene? Because I don't, I kinda feel like mundane nonsense like rotating the camera every time I enter new scene gets in the way of planning, not help it. Well, different folks I suppose...

In other words, you actually enjoy reduced clarity of a scene? 

In a way, yes.  I like not immediately being able to see all the dangers and having to work to find them and also having to remember the placement or routes of guards I won't be able to see from the camera angle I'm going to use when I execute my plan of action.

Fixed camera does have the advantage of allowing the devs to use hand painted 2D backgrounds, though.

Edit: Maybe it goes back to me growing up on point & click adventures (my first gaming love)?  I got used to pixel hunting for stuff and I kinda enjoy it.  In modern point & clicks where they usually have an option or a key you can hold down that highlights all clickable objects I always turn that option off or never press that key because I want to pixel hunt for the objects myself.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Aaaaah, so you're just insane. Well that explains everything then!

You're certainly not the first person to call me that, you probably won't be the last.  :wowey:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

rotating the camera

When I played the demo, that aspect was what irked me the most. I would have vastly preferred the game to feature a fixed isometric view.

I'm of the completely opposite mind.  I very much appreciate being able to freely rotate the camera to get a better look at things.

It's not that it is a bad mechanic, but I never liked that in later Commandos games.

To me, having a fixed camera limits where you can hide enemies in the level, particularly with tall buildings or cliffs.  With a fixed camera you either can't hide enemies on the sides of buildings you can't see or you have to have transparency through the building (otherwise the game would be thoroughly unfair), which gives away where the enemy is.  With a free rotating camera you can hide enemies wherever you like and it's up to the player to rotate the camera to find enemies that they wouldn't see from a certain camera angle.  I guess I just really like casing the area and formulating a plan, and playing with the camera gives me something more to do while I'm studying guard routes and calculating timings in my head, it makes me feel more in control, more an active participant of the planning stage somehow, if that makes any sense.

Well, that's an issue the map designer has to deal with. Of course with a fixed camera you can't have tall buildings with things going on behind them. Usually these kind of games (Commandos 1 + addon, Desperado, etc.) did it well, imo.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Would anyone like a Shadowrun: Dragonfall unlock at GOG? I own it already - it's great.

Seriously, if anyone wants it... I can't even give this game away!

Try to post it here as well:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69942-the-great-game-giveaway-tuesday-edition/page-21

I think most of the people here already have it, too. Because as you said, it's great :D

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Makes no sense, just makes you weird. :p

Yeah, i like my camera fixed as well. So i can't ever get back into the mood of Commandos 2, because the camera always turns me away during the tutorial. So hopefully when i do play Shadow Tactics i won't need to rotate the camera around too much or i'll feel bad about not being able to enjoy the game. ;:_:

edit: and oh, i'll have to try Lexx's Commandos mod one day. Should be fun.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Neverwinter Nights 2, just suddenly had an urge to replay the OC, i still stand by my statement of the game being staggeringly pretty, especially when compared to the truly hideous first game.

Edit: Well second game to be accurate.

I actually had a very favourable view of the OC myself, though of course it serves as a set-up for the absolutely incredible MotB.

Theres quite a lot of ambitious and quality content in the OC, from the simple yet unavoidable means of weaving the protagonist into the plot, an unfortunate circumstance rather than a chosen one trope, to Ammon Jerro and almost all of his content and Shandras, the spirit of the slain Crystal Dragon Nolaloth, the excellent stronghold content, and of course the trial if it had the gumption to affect a number of endings based on the evidence presented.

Then again the amount of grinding, loot recycling and padding all serves to obscure these high points, but that is the way with RPGs now and we see the same tired and unoriginal implementation in almost every one.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I finished mission 5 of Shadow Tactics, which introduced the game's 5th and final playable character, Aoki.  Aoki can disguise herself, assuming she finds a suitable disguise in the level, allowing her to go undetected by regular guards, though Samurai aren't fooled and will detect her.  Once disguised she can distract regular guards by engaging in small talk with them, forcing their viewcone in her direction.  I like that once she's disguised her manner of walking and running changes.  I appreciate attention to detail like that.  This game is freakin' great.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Trying Sea Dogs 2. Bit confusing, will have to find a manual.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Started my playthrough of Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition after recently completing Darksiders Remastered Edition and honestly find myself more drawn to this game that FFXV right now. These Darksiders games are quite solid though.

On the pc, still making progress with Pillars of Eternity and must say that the fight with Raedric is a huge wall for me. I know you can side with him and not fight him but with that bloody dagger in his hand, it just doesn't seem right but damn does that fight ramp the difficultly up to 11 from just the previous battle with his animancer in the dungeon level. I know people can take him out on Path of the Damned solo but for the normal gamer doesn't seem an appropriate difficulty for his battle.

Started my playthrough of Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition after recently completing Darksiders Remastered Edition and honestly find myself more drawn to this game that FFXV right now. These Darksiders games are quite solid though.

Darksiders 2's fantastic. Honestly I'm not sure why didn't get more popular than it actually did at the time - it's extremely imaginative in its locations, looting system's pretty fun, and combat is kinda great. Add extremely fun dungeons (including some impressive optional ones) and you get a fantastic game.

Final Fantasy XV, while also trying out Planetarian and Fruit of Grisaia when I want something a little less time demanding.

Planetarian came to me highly recommended, but it's slow to hook. Fruit of Grisaia I should hate, but I do not. The protagonist is an ultra-perfect jackadoodle, who is some sort of mysterious secret agent type whose backstory keeps referencing a master like he trained in forgotten martial arts out in the woods. He ends up at a school that only has 5 other students, all of them girls. And a single teacher/principle, also an attractive woman. I'm pretty sure they all want him.

But his sarcasm is on point. And one of the girls keeps trying to stab him, which is the quickest way to my heart, I don't know about you. And another is trying her hardest to be a tsundere cliche, which ends up being delightful.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's a story about a planetarium in the post-apocalypse, dude. It's not a sexbot. Not that kind of story.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Played like 3 hours of Vermintide co-op with a friend. It's... Actually tons of fun. Playing the sorceress feels fantastic.

Hey, if you want, hit me up if you'd like to team up for Vermintide.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I like how in Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun the characters will tell you a way to help you achieve your objective, sometimes they'll offer multiple options, but you don't have to do them, there's always another way, multiple ways usually, to get around whatever obstacles lie in your path.  They did a damn good job designing the missions.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Played like 3 hours of Vermintide co-op with a friend. It's... Actually tons of fun. Playing the sorceress feels fantastic.

Hey, if you want, hit me up if you'd like to team up for Vermintide.

Just downloading at home that 36 gigs (sigh!) for it so if you guys want PM me and we can party some time!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"