What are you playing right now

Gorth

I am considering getting Cities: Skylines because it is on sale. Anyone played it and is it dope?

OK never mind I just bought it I hope it doesn't suck.

I was gonna have a quick peek at around midnight yesterday. I ended up going to bed at 3:00...

I picked up and started playing Quern - Undying Thoughts.  It's a Myst-like game.  You know the drill: Fantastical looking world, weird objects that you need to figure out what purpose they serve and strange puzzles that you need to figure out on your own how they work and then solve them.  Much too early to tell if it's a particularly good Myst-like, but, given that I love these types of games, I should get some enjoyment out of it regardless.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I am considering getting Cities: Skylines because it is on sale. Anyone played it and is it dope?

OK never mind I just bought it I hope it doesn't suck.

It is ok, not much of a city sim as opposed to a traffic one but it is still fun to paint a city.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There's some youtube videos of people building crazy detailed city scapes. It's awesome, and really makes me wish Transport Fever would look like that graphic-wise.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Dishonoured 2 is really good. 

No kidding! Tell me about it. I started playing it, and now like 40h later, I noticed I grew lyrical already after Mission 1. Here's my review I did for a Steam promo thingie: 

Alright, I already loved Dishonored 1, and I completed that game and all the dlcs several times in various cool ways.

So, my expectations for Dishonored 2 were high, obviously, and now, having almost completed my first playthrough on Hard, using no violence, and trying to get by undetected, I am simply taken aback by this masterpiece of a game. Cheesy praise, I know, but I really do mean it. This is easily one of the three best games I ever played, and I started playing in the early 80s, and I have dorkily played literally thousands of video games. The city environments are the best I've ever experienced - the maps feel like living and breathing cities, where you get to be and moving about in them, experiencing the streets and alleys and apartments, listening in on conversations, reading about blatant social exploitation, watching bored guards fiddling with their weapons, and so forth. The sound effects and the music - top notch stuff. And each mission is huge, leaving you with tonnes of difficult decisions, and often you get excited, in the sense of surprises and chills, or even scared, when hiding behind a curtain or beneath a desk or something.

This time you get to pick your protagonist, and both are beautifully voiced. It's just unbelievably good. You may craft bone charms, you may forfeit all supernatural powers - play it whichever way you want. The replayabilty factor is crazy. I redid a few sections of two missions just because I felt like it. Dishonored 2 is literally so great that I've put it on hold in order to save it and savour my longing for my next gaming session. As for graphics performance, I had a computer perfect for its settings, and after a quarter of an hour, I managed to configure my mouse in a really pleasant way, but I know others have suffered far worse in that department.

A timeless classic. Play it, already!

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I tried the non lethal approach but I didn't really have the powers for it so the first two areas have been a bloodbath. I need the stealth power upgraded but I guess it's too late  now so I think I'll go for the other extreme. 

Don't get it without a current gen GFX card though. My 1070 is just about managing with some drastic drops in cityscapes. Playing at 

2560x1440 because HD looks really ugly on my new monitor. 4k is wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

When I'm not trucking, I'm doing a second playthrough of D2 as Emily. I must say that combat has improved drastically since the first game, both by providing a lot more challenge and by feeling a lot better. And, like it tends to be with Dishonored, I'm noticing many details and finding a whole bunch of new areas that I didn't even know existed on my first playthrough, and I do tend to be relatively careful not to miss anything. While the main structure of the story is rather primitive, the way it's filled with detail you can find if you look is most certainly not.

Dishonored 2 is certainly my GOTY this year by a large margin. I'd say the only thing that prevents me from calling it better than that is simply how very similar it is to the original - I know, 'don't fix what's not broken', but for me the "wow" factor present in the first game is just not there anymore, sequel is firmly keeping to what the first game started and expands upon it instead of trying things of its own.

Edited by Fenixp

Am I really the only Steins;Gate fan? :(

Steins;Gate 0 just got even more interesting for me.

So apparently everything Amadeus Kirusu learns is saved in a permanent log. This is giving me flashbacks of the original Steins;Gate. In the original game, the trouble started because Okabe accidentally sent a text message back that told of her death before it happened. Almost anything he tells Amadeus would be evidence of the other worldline at this point, and it would start all over. And I just know he's compelled to say something.

Any scene with Okabe is heartbreaking. And all of the other scenes practically make me so giddy I can't sit still.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Developers were like "Tale bought it, our work is done."

Honestly, more developers should work like this.
  • Like 8

Here at the Obsidian forums, our community is most famously known for our love of anime visual novels...

...and not those silly western-styled CRPGs or anything, :p

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Here at the Obsidian forums, our community is most famously known for our love of anime visual novels...

...and not those silly western-styled CRPGs or anything, :p

You truckers need some culture!
  • Like 1

Why is the companion AI just so damn stupid?  My sidekick in Skyrim triggers literally every trap/fire plate, even when I go out of my way to try and move around it so my companion (who travels in straight lines, apparently) will follow.  To make matters worse, they'll trigger it and remain standing on it so they get hit by the trap multiple times.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"Dishonoured 2 is really good."

At least, until you discover that it isn't.

Says the guy who logged a thousand hours on Skyrim.

Obviously, he hasn't discovered the truth yet. Gotta search for it thoroughly. :p

• Like 3

"Dishonoured 2 is really good."

At least, until you discover that it isn't.

Says the guy who logged a thousand hours on Skyrim.

I basically decide which games are going to be good based on which ones HoonDing think suck.

• Like 6

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The Mac and Linux versions of the demo for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun came out today, so I immediately started playing that.  I haven't played Commandos or Desperados in many years, but this game is instantly familiar and it feels right, really right.  I haven't played one of these types of games in far too long and I'm really excited.  There seem to be lethal and non-lethal ways to get past most obstacles and multiple paths to take.  I'll play a bit more of the demo before making a decision, but I'll very likely be buying this game (it comes out in a few days).  I wish more publishers would have enough faith in their product to release a free demo before release.  I guess that makes Daedalic Entertainment the anti-Bethesda.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was forced back to Muv-Luv, moving on to Unlimited.

Forced because my new PS4 arrived today. I installed a 2 TB hard drive in it and started transferring the data from the old one. Lo and behold that's going to take 9 hours.

I'm on my notebook, so Odallus: The Dark Call and Volgarr the Viking. Prison Architect sometimes too I suppose. Now I'm kinda sorry I didn't puchase Shovel Knight when I could, but oh well. Didn't get too far into Odallus, but I quite adore how Volgarr just catapults you into entirely new, super-challenging levels when you're doing really well.

• Like 1

Hey guys. New member, long time lurker. I've been playing this game called Sunless Sea. There are so many remarkable story events in the game that I couldn't even find a place to start describing them. The Station III is probably the best (and most depressing), followed closely by the Visage ceremony and the Tireless Mechanic storyline (mostly if you really think about the fate of the Unsettled Sage and *really* look at the avatar for the Fulgent Impeller). You don't have to read the stories. The gameplay is fun enough to ignore the text, but the text itself tends to the brief and it's worth it to read every paragraph, every sentence, every comma. I tried several lifetimes before Maybe's Daughter returned from the Bazaar as Maybe's Rival. I've had to murder the dread imposter called the Urbane Magician about three times as many as I've celebrated with the Satisfied Magician. Never once have I considered doing anything other than avenging my comrade. I've never once turned my eyes away from the Presbyterate Adventuress' last stand against her otherworldly foe. I've always tried to help the snow child, even though one or two of those attempts have been fruitless. It's sad to see it row away, but even sadder to see it melt. Pigmote Isle... I plan my early game based entirely on how I'm going to ensure Pigmote Isle will thrive.

I've already told too much about the game, but even with all that there's so much more to experience. This is my 2016 game of the year, without question. I recommend it without hesitation. I've completed it by retiring with wealth and by burying my father's bones. I've died or simply been satisfied to retire without meeting my 'victory condition' even more often. I'm planning on writing my memoires next. At this point, I have exactly 20 hours less on Sunless Sea than New Vegas, and I *might* actually like Sunless Sea more than New Vegas. If that's not high enough praise to recommend the game, it *might* actually be tied with Planescape: Torment. There is no higher praise for a game.

I feel cold as a razor blade,

tight as a tourniquet,

dry... as a funeral... drum... as it were...

Nearly done with Dishonoured 2. Overall very positive, but I gotta say I am not involved with the plot, at all.  The cast is too large and unwieldy. If you are going to have this much text based exposition that really calls for a dialogue system. Otherwise the plot should be simple and tight and the story shown rather than told. 

Remember in D1 how the rat population grew dramatically if your kill count was high, that's a really good example. The levels also feel a bit too modular compared to D1, not enough variation in size. 

Also I find myself wondering why the game would just give me the solution to a mysterious puzzle door. More rewarding to work those out yourself surely. 

Ohh and the lean thing is pointless. Doesn't affect detection very much as far as I can tell and it's annoying to have to do it all the time. It's just there because controllers have trigger buttons. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.