What are you playing right now

Gorth

I hate when I'm writing a detailed, elaborate post and somebody rushes in, says something similar in a lot less words and posts it before I'm even half-way done. ... Consider this vengeance! I'm not sure what for considering I don't think you ever wronged me in such a grievous way, but we'll figure something out.

Or you can just play with Alternate Start.

Sure, but tell that to console peasants. :dancing:

(Not that I am one. Just saying that if you aren't playing with mods, then the games start is really bad once you feel like replaying)

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Or you can just play with Alternate Start.

Sure, but tell that to console peasants. :dancing:

(Not that I am one. Just saying that if you aren't playing with mods, then the games start is really bad once you feel like replaying)

I will never understand people playing Bethesda games on consoles...modding support (if only to fix all the breakage Bethesda doesn't) is vital, and I'm not normally much of a modder...

Anyway, I picked up my playthrough of The Wichter 3 that I had sort of abandoned. For some reason the game hadn't been able to suck me in, I mean, when I started a play session I kept playing until the wee hours, but when I stopped there was literally no urge to pick it up again the next day.

So I'm happy to report that after making it to Novigrad that's finally changed. Things are at last getting somewhat interesting and the setting's definitely improved over the bore that was Velen. (though given the huge amount of unfinished content I still have there I guess I'll be going back occasionally, if only to finish up the various contracts)

Playing Rise of Tomb Raider. Was 50% off so worth the shot. Even if it is same old, should be a fun 10 hours.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rise is fun. And extremely pretty. It's not revolutionary and the storyline is rightdown stupid, but challenge tombs are fun.

This level in Dishonored 2: (1.50 minute demo presented on E3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnX-QEUsOsc

It's ... Quite something. I'm not sure about how replayable it'll be, but they did some nice things with the concept.

Edited by Fenixp

Still having fun playing swtor. Got fairly close to getting Coratanni and Pearl down yesterday. Got Ruugar down to around 30% in one pull. Sadly it was getting late, 3am for one of our healers and 2am for myself, just no concentration left (Our American, Indonesian and Malaysian team members were a bit better off, but not by much after a long day). You really learn to hate the ricochet shot mechanic :lol:

Ah well, we'll be back for revenge.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

All right, the beta patch to Dishonored 2 gave me steady 60 on my relatively sub-par hardware. This is good.

Edit: I also got extremely salty that you can't restart levels. I made a decision I didn't know I was making, and my last hard save is some 7 hours back. Thankfully, with my knowledge of the next level from said save, I should easily knock that number down to like 2, still... It kinda sucks.

Lesson to be learned: Make a hard save at the start of each level.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 3

Oh I'm quicksaving all the time, which is part of the problem - if I didn't quicksave like an idiot I could have returned to a save about 10 minutes earlier and all would be good. Which reminds me that I'd kill for multiple rotating quicksave slots to be a standard feature. And level start autosaves. Alas, I did learn in the 90s that a game can totally screw you over or go differently than you'd want at later time, and I learned to prevent this by making multiple rotating hard saves. A skill I have forgotten over the years due to games that don't allow you to fail. Dishonored 2 did allow me to fail tho, and while I could continue in my playthrough, it would keep bugging me I didn't do ... A spoilery thing.

Edited by Fenixp

I feel as though games with saving systems would benefit from a little simple innovation. You could have a primary quicksave, which is whatever save you made last...then like 10 backup quicksaves, just put a number or the time or saving at the end of the save name. Seem a bit overkill? Well, why not? You already made the backup saves to your hard drive at one point, and it's not like game saves take up that much space...so why not make use of the write cycles? Then, you could have a number of timed autosaves automatically made every so often...maybe every fifteen minutes or every half hour, except the game should make sure it's made out of combat and delay until then if necessary, of course. Then, you could have area autosaves: when you go to an area for the first time, you get a particular "first" autosave for that first time entry, so you can always revert back to a certain point in the game if necessary...and then any subsequent entries get a more generic autosave that doesn't overwrite that first entry autosave, but are nonetheless specific to that area.

Overkill? One hundred percent: for an RPG like Baldur's Gate, you'd have probably a couple hundred saves by the end of the game if you went very strictly by these rules (maybe they could be just adjusted down a bit for large RPGs, I don't know). But again, why not? Your hard drive already took the effort to make those saves, so it's not like you're magically erasing the write cycles it took to make those saves in the first place: you're just deleting information and making a minuscule amount of room. Would it be useful to the player, though? Great potential for it, particularly first time players who don't know what random crap the game is going to throw at you. High cost to implement? Not really. High cost to the player to upkeep? Also not really...so why not? Have a "clear out auto/backup saves" button so the player doesn't have to manually delete all their saves, and you avoid that particular hassle for the player, too: if they're clearing out all their old saves, they click that button and then they only have to delete their latest save and a few manual saves at worst. I just don't like spending the 15-20 seconds to save manually when I can just rely on quicksaves and autosaves for the most part...except when I randomly can't for whatever reason or another, and I get totally screwed. It'd be so easy to implement a more thorough and convenient saving system, too...but for some reason, game developers just don't do it.

Europa Universalis 4 has modularity in its autosave options...you have the option to have the game automatically select every so often, with I think the three options being every year, every half year, or every month of game time. Great idea! ...Except it only keeps three of those saves before it automatically deletes them. One step forward and another back... Would it kill developers to just have make a few more options for this sort of thing?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I scooped up a bunch of Wadjet Eye point & click adventures during GOG's Black Friday Sale.  I've enjoyed the few Wadjet Eye games I have played so far and I love point & clicks, which makes it a wonder I haven't played more of their games previously.  This will give me something to play after I finish my first run through Tyranny (I don't want to do a second run immediately after) and before Shadow Tactics comes out.  I'll probably wind up playing Primordia, or another of their standalone games.  I want to save the Blackwell games for when I have time to run through all 5 of them consecutively.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Primordia is one of the best adventure games ever made, it's fantastic!

I have heard nothing but good things.  How long a game is it?  I'm hoping for something in the 5-8 hour range, which is pretty standard for P&Cs.  That length game should do nicely to fill the gap between when I finish Tyranny (probably sometime this weekend) and Shadow Tactics comes out.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, in my quest to replay the game to change the decision I didn't make previously, I finally got to the only part where Dishonored 2 stuttered like crazy. It doesn't anymore. It runs silky smooth. There are still some reports of bad performance on Steam, which I'd wager are 50% people who grossly overestimate their computers, and other reports of the game crashing on launch, which seem more problematic.

I'm actually entirely okay with the completely primitive way the original Witcher handled quicksaves and autosaves: They're just regular hard saves with increased number in sequence. Then again, the save file folder bloated up to like 20 gigs after some time.

Most old skool Sierra point & clicks could be beaten in an hour if you knew what to do.  The game length came from trying to figure out obtuse puzzles (and I say that as a big time Sierra fan) and finding the hilarious death sequences.  Leisure Suit Larry and Space Quest had the best death sequences.  That's something I always thought Sierra had on the competition (LucasArts mainly), the death sequences.  Some people think they don't belong in point & clicks, but I disagree.  Sierra death sequences were amazing.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I played and beat Diablo 1 for the first time. I made an autohotkey script so that I could stop clicking and could just use a keyboard button to attack instead, because boy, that crap was making my hand hurt like hell. It's not even like Diablo 2, where you can hold down left click on enemies: literally every attack requires a click. Well, no more, I say!

Anyways, that game was...not that good, to be honest. Diablo 2 was better in pretty much every conceivable way besides maybe atmosphere, which Diablo 1 had admittedly the darker of the two. The walk speed, the terrible aiming and hitting system, the broken stat system, the broken inventory system, the broken buying and selling system... But hey, I got through it.

(e): Oh yeah, I might've even quit, but I found an unenchanted Staff of Healing, which is ridiculously overpowered for not being worth anything, even if its healing powers can't really be used in combat. Made it so I could actually keep playing without having to go back to town for healing potions every .2 seconds. Consequently, I saved the few full healing potions I found for Diablo, and managed to beat him in one go.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think Diablo is one of those games you could only really enjoy back when it came out. I played A LOT of it over LAN with friends. must've beaten it 10 times. but as soon as Diablo 2 came out we jumped ship and I never looked back.

now waiting for that D2 remaster...

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.