Favorite Charities

Guard Dog

Around this time of year I start making my charity donations. Well, I do it off an of all year in small amounts or in material goods. But when it comes to writing a check I do that around Thanksgiving (the US version of it). I was actually doing that very thing last night and it got me curious about you fine folks? Are there any charities you guys support, volunteer with, or are passionate about? If so tell us about them.

For me there are four:

• Toys for Tots http://www.toysfortots.org/default.aspx . This is the Marine Corps own charity and it's the easiest and most fun to participate in. All you have to do is go toy shopping and take them to a drop box. If you are in the US anyway. There are many but every recruiting office has one for sure. Walgreen's Pharmacy usually does too. Donations are distributed in the communities they are made in. It's such a small thing, getting a present when they might not have gotten one that can make a needy child's Christmas. Plus they give gifts at St. Jude's. That was where I helped take them back when I was in the service. I didn't get to hand any out (they don't let PFC's do things like that) but I did get to drive the truck. 
  • St. Jude's Children's Hospital https://www.stjude.org/?gclid=CjwKEAiA3qXBBRD4_b_V7ZLFsX4SJAB0AtEVBpOd1aW1vqqFatnjtwrWawKnE52vc4JaV_7Al568SxoCxEHw_wcB&sc_cid=kwp21000&s_kwcid=AL!4519!3!153903518367!e!!g!!st%20jude%20children%27s%20research%20hospital&ef_id=VSlcBwAABApLjzLO:20161114125911:s . I can't say enough about this place and what they accomplish here. 
  • Guiding Eyes for the Blind  https://www.guidingeyes.org/. They raise and train seeing eye dogs. The difference one of these pups can make in someone's life is extraordinary. I once had a yellow Labrador Retriever named Cosmo who "failed" out of their program and was put up for adoption. He was the first dog I ever had. He passed on years ago but I still make a donation in his name every year. 
  • Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary http://oldfriendsseniordogs.com/index.html . They are just down the road an hour or two from me. Whenever I'm out that way I bring them blankets or dog food. It's a small operation. It's a sanctuary for elderly dogs that were abandoned or left in animal control. Elderly or sick dogs in animal control are deemed unadoptable and are usually euthanized immediately. Old Friends works with shelters in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Kentucky to save and place as many of these old pups as they can. They have about forty or so living at the sanctuary now. 

I guess you can tell I have a soft spot for dogs and children. I'm not familiar with many charities outside the US. If you guys know of any good ones please share. You might even drum up a little support.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I dont donate money to large charities as their operating percetages are usually very high (how much of the charity they keep to run the business). But I am an occasional sucker for the individual bum encountered in the wild. Coincidentally, just this weekend I donated a dresser to Goodwill, but that was because it was easier to do that than to try to figure out how to dispose of it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I dont donate money to large charities as their operating percetages are usually very high (how much of the charity they keep to run the business). But I am an occasional sucker for the individual bum encountered in the wild. Coincidentally, just this weekend I donated a dresser to Goodwill, but that was because it was easier to do that than to try to figure out how to dispose of it. :biggrin:

I donated a bunch of stuff to Goodwill of West Palm Beach back when I moved out of South Florida. I was carrying boxes out a U-haul  into their warehouse and the two ladies inside were going through them. One of them liked one of my ex's purses I guess. She took it out of the box to her car. I figured whatever. I had a receipt for it. Not much more I could do.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I occasionally donate to HRF, an organization for the hearingimpaired, since I am one myself. I also donate to Hjärnfonden("brainfund"), a fund for research on different brain centered diseases.

I don't donate to beggars and similar on the streets though, in Sweden you do get money from Social services if you need it - while it's not a whole lot of money they will pay for a flat and connected expenses so I don't feel the need for it.

My grandmother used to train dogs to be used for guide dogs and bomb and drug searching aswell, I'd have liked to do the same, but I don't have the skills that she had so...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I give to MSF every year, should have done so earlier. Should give to my local SPCA as well.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As an awful person, I'm here to recommend against donating to the Catholic Church and any of its institutions. The smallest amount of money will actually go to charity. I've got a graph here to show that, and the source is this economist article http://www.economist.com/node/21560536

post-165831-0-11846700-1479137631_thumb.png

Sorry for the poor quality....

It basically shows that not even 5% of the American (USA) catholic church's annual spending goes to charity

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

As an awful person, I'm here to recommend against donating to the Catholic Church and any of its institutions. The smallest amount of money will actually go to charity. I've got a graph here to show that, and the source is this economist article http://www.economist.com/node/21560536

attachicon.gifimage.png

Sorry for the poor quality....

It basically shows that not even 5% of the American (USA) catholic church's annual spending goes to charity

Donating to a specific church in your community does not break down like that, I've been in on the meetings where we talk about costs to run the church, repairs, etc., and how much we bring in with donations.  It's a pretty tight window, we aren't funding any mansions in our small little Catholic parish.  

I tend to use Goodwill pretty regularly, then we've got Girl Scouts and school fundraisers.  After that I'm tapped out.

• Like 2

Nothing this month as i'm sending a rather large amount to family who've been affected by a natural disaster, oh tell a lie, Great Ormond street childrens hospital as well, usual monthly donation since they lost the rights to Peter Pan. Have to concur with Hurlshot, local church work is a very direct and effective form of donation.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I am a member of Amnesty and i donate monthly, even if i don't always agree with the their views, but i find the overarching goal of freedom of expression and thought to be paramount. I also donate to the Red Cross on a regular basis. 

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I donated a bunch of stuff to Goodwill of West Palm Beach back when I moved out of South Florida. I was carrying boxes out a U-haul  into their warehouse and the two ladies inside were going through them. One of them liked one of my ex's purses I guess. She took it out of the box to her car. I figured whatever. I had a receipt for it. Not much more I could do.

Never had any problems with Goodwill here, and have donated a fair amount of things to them over the years, particularly clothes still in good condition.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I give to Planned Parenthood, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, The Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union.

Also the local Library, they were rasing funds for a new building, and the local Free Clinic among other things. I also semi-regularly donate to GoFundMe campaigns anything that's usually only if I know the person or know someone who knows the person.

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I give to Planned Parenthood, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, The Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union.

:lol:  If I didn't already know how you voted last week I would now!

But generosity is always commendable and all those groups are about more than politics.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I donate to the Red Cross and the local voluntary fire fighters as  I really might need an ambulance or a fire put out some day and they're doing a fine job for the community.

I also often buy a local  newspaper sold (mostly) by the homeless who would otherwise not be able to get a job. Half of the money they earn they can keep, the other half goes into the next issue - it earns them some money and makes them feel useful (not to mention that people who are willing to do that sort of crap job out in all weather just so they can work *something* deserve it).

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

:lol:  If I didn't already know how you voted last week I would now!

Not Trump?  =] 

I'm not sure what gave that away... :p

Although I've been giving to all of them for awhile (well predating this election cycle). :thumbsup:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Extra Life, by way of Obsidian live-streaming games on their Twitch channel. All funds go to the Children's Hospital of Orange County, CHOC, healing and saving the lives of children, regardless of their background.

During their streams, Obs has drinking rules and if you donate a modest amount, you get to make a rule: every time your character dies, drink, or whatever. I may have drunk-donated about $400 in the last year, but it's fun and for the kids.  :thumbsup:

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=27809 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm just waiting for Valsuelm to show me the way.

Good sir. I'm pressed for time and haven't much to fully explain my thinking. Rest assured I could write a small volume as I actually do have experience working in the world of charities, as well have explored the options over the years.. 

What's best?

Find yee someone in need and donate to them personally. All but the most closeted of us know such people. Donating to an organization oft contributes to waste, far more than one might think. If one must donate to an organization, find a local one, that has extremely little overhead. Usually one's local homeless shelter or goodwill suffices, but even these sometimes waste, especially if they are recipients of government monies.

Large charities, especially national ones, definitely international ones are rot with corruption and waste. Let not their famous advertising sway you. Dollars given to them end up being pennies given to those in need.

In short: Skip the middle men, give to those in need, not to someone else who isn't in need to give to those in need in your stead.

Random tip regarding beggars: Always give a beggar food first. If the beggar is grateful, then consider giving them monies in addition if you wish. You will find that many a beggar will spit in your face if you offer food rather than money. The ones that do this do not deserve nor probably even need your money. There are many charlatans out there posing as beggars, some of which make a lucrative full time job of it (I've seen some drive away in BMWs). If your chosen beggar is truly needful, they will let you know with their gratefulness, often exuberantly. These are the ones most deserving of your kindness.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

I always make them carry out a quest before I give them some money and maybe better shoes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I always make them carry out a quest before I give them some money and maybe better shoes.

If the quest was any good they'd find better shoes on the way.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

They typically have substance abuse problems that eliminate any type of profit they may be making.

If I have time I give them food and clothes (especially in the winter) over money

I've only ever met one guy that passed and only wanted money and I so ended up not giving him anything

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21