Wand of Enervation and two-part boss interaction

jolyonb

Question

iPad, version 1.1.5, story mode.

I was fighting Arkrhyst, who is a two-part boss. Seoni had the wand of enervation in hand. She blasted the boss the first round, used the wand of enervation, and then said "Harsk, you do this."

Harsk took over, but the effects of the wand were lost, and then the wand didn't appear in Seoni's bury pile or hand. At the end of the scenario, it thankfully appeared back in Seoni's hand.

5 answers to this question

I think you hit a sequencing issue. It shouldn't have mattered, but if you'd given the check to Harsk and *then* used the WoE it would have worked (it always has for me). I'm surprised that changing the Character who was doing the check didn't do a complete reset, but there again, if you'd already rolled the die for the WoE, a complete reset would be tantamount to an exploit.

I think you've hit the nail on the head mccrispy, Wand of Enervation isn't handled properly when resetting the check. I believe this is related to the bug I mentioned where I made a wisdom check on another character in order to cast a spell (due to a hag-style monster power), and afterwards the wand bonus was lost.

I have to admit the correct behaviour is rather complicated. A reset should not allow the wand dice to be rerolled, since that can be abused, so things that normally reset the check have to not reset the wand. Similarly resets should not allow nor force the wisdom check to be rerolled. What I imagine is happening is that the game is correctly not resetting pasts those dice rolls, but what it's not reapplying the difficulty reduction in the process.

I think you hit a sequencing issue. 

I think that's it.  Pushing the button to hand-off the check doesn't just shift characters, it cancels the current check and reinstantiates it with the target character.

Since the wand was played and buried before the new check "instance," the effects were lost.  Thankfully, the card didn't permanently disappear on you.