Has anyone found a workaround for the Thassilonian Sins bug?

I was one of the unlucky few afflicted by a bug preventing me from completing Thassilonian sins. The first time I completely defeat one of the villains, all my party members are prompted to move, at which point the game won't continue. Quitting and logging back in doesn't help. 

I don't want to waste a bunch of time redoing this scenario only to keep having this happen again, so I was wondering if anybody figured out what trips this bug and how to work around it — kind of like how the Black Magga bug could be avoided if you made sure that your party explored the final card.

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer!

p.s. I'm posting it here instead of Tech Support since the bug has already been reported there more than once, and my hope here is to work around it rather than to report it.

Edited by Borissimo

After about 10 tries I was able to complete it. The problem for me seems to occur when one or more locations are temporarily closed and you defeat the third villain. Instead of the game ending the temporary locations open back up and your characters are prompted to move. I was able to finally pass it last night by making sure that all locations were permanently closed before the final villain battle. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

So, today, I killed all 3 villains and had permanently closed all locations except the one where I encountered the last villain, and one other that was temp closed. I killed the 3rd villain, which closed that location. The game then made me move the characters from there to the location that was temporarily closed. So, then I run through that deck, encounter the henchman and kill him. No option to close that location. So, I burn through all the cards in the location deck and the game is over. No victory. All locations were permanently close, and the last location deck was out of cards.

You have to be kidding me. This is really annoying.

A user in another thread suggested VRT: "vault return trip." That user was able to escape the progression break described here and in several other posts by going to the vault, then closing out of the vault. I wasn't able to test this method, because on my latest run through 5.4 on Heroic difficulty, the game just worked fine without any issues (phew!). In that one, the villains were in three different locations. All other locations were closed. I killed the villain in location A while temp closing B and C, then I killed the villain in location B while temp closing C, then I finally killed the villain in location C -- all without any prompts to move my characters or any other hitches. Prior to delivering these three killing blows, I had only killed a villain once before in the scenario (got lucky with my scouting). Not sure if any of those factors matter or not.

Please keep bugging Obsidian about this so that they understand this bug is not excusable. The latest thread in the announcement forum, about an upcoming patch to the tutorial (LOL), is a good place to do that.

Edited by Borissimo

I wouldn't use that VRT thing as an excuse, but at least it affords a chance to get around bugs. It's come in handy for a lot of things, including the healing bug for me, which really sucked. I have a party I created that only goes through each scenario until victory and doesn't farm good stuff for good cards. Even with the bugs (and sorry, obz, there are many) I managed to get through all but a couple of scenarios (like honestly two) on the first try. Deck five looks really tough, but I don't think I had to repeat any of those. Well... I'm a bit forgetful at the moment, so maybe one of the times I suffered defeat and had to start again was in 5. Anyhow, I don't generally mind having to repeat a scenario. It happens. ...And I have yet to see a scenario where, if you're a belt and suspenders kind of guy, you need ever suffer a character's death.

With that said, I think there's something qualitatively (if not quantitatively) different about getting screwed because of a bug rather than your decisions. If you lose, you should lose because of some decision you made, rather than a glitch in the game. On the other hand, the game is random. On the few games with my current six character build where I lost, mostly it had to do with luck anyway. I'm not excusing bugs. This VRT is a pain and clearly it should be fixed, but as long as you don't lose a character on permadeath mode, you can just throw yourself once more into the breach dear friend, because your death won't be lasting.

I'll end by saying, as coherently as possible at this point, that I love this game. I've played many many hours of it and I still play it almost daily. Fix the damned bugs and you'll make a damned near great game damned near perfect!

I feel cold as a razor blade,

tight as a tourniquet,

dry... as a funeral... drum... as it were...

Mr. Flounder, you can simply just tell your programmers to fix all the bugs. I'm an expert in computer science, and they can simply do that by pressing a button.

Well, it *is* their job to fix the bugs and it *is* our job to complain about them. Still, I don't intend to let bugs in any game ruin my Thanksgiving Holidays in the US. :broad grin:

I feel cold as a razor blade,

tight as a tourniquet,

dry... as a funeral... drum... as it were...

Sigh... this is the hardest scenario so far i've ever faced playing with 6 characters on legendary difficulty. I cornered and defeated 3 villains but let 1 of them escape(that's a +15 to combat check against last villain), burned all my blessings trying to explore, and just when i finish the last villain with 4 blessings/turns left the game wouldn't end. I was so happy for a moment and then that happiness turned into anger. It's bad enough trying to use all my blessings up trying to close all these locations, but i also have to defeat these guys and overspending is probably a must.

Because of this bug it would seem i have to close 1 last location but the problem was everyone was too far away from it and the remaining character there already used up all their blessings for combat aid. Ended up failing the quest.

Props to those that were actually able to do it with 6 characters with and without the bug. My guys are pretty powered up with good cards and i still can't complete this.  :banghead:

Edited by aznxknight

Back to the first question asked --- is there actually a work around for this? Just tried it the first time, got all the villians in a single location with everywhere else permanently closed - defeated all 3 of them with 5 of the characters at that location -- game allowed me to move all but the character that killed the villian - then gave me the blue arrow of death asking for me to confirm something. Vault and back, shutting down ipad, etc no help. No way of bringing the map back on the screen.

I just don't want to waste my time and frustration playing an unwinnable scenario, yet I am guessing some people must have beaten it. So if there is a secret (other than luck) that actually works for this, please let me know.

(I recently had eye surgery and have to limit my screen time, so really want to make my time playing fun)

I did manage to beat the scenario the second time around. I kept one location with a henchman open and then killed off the last villian. It them moved the characters to the henchman's location. I still think it is buggy in that I should have gotten victory after killing the last villian, but at least I was then able to kill off that henchman, close that location -- and victory screen appeared. Not sure if this is a consistent work-around, but thought I would share.

• Like 2

For anyone who finds this thread and is hoping for an answer: one month later and there does not seem to be a workaround that consistently works. Obsidian has acknowledged the problem, said they're working on a fix, and said that the issue is proving to be extremely challenging for them to fix. In the meantime, take your chances or wait for the patch!

• Like 1

The only workaround I know is to have only one character at the location where you defeat the final villain. You must also have one location only temporarily closed. You will be prompted to move the victorious character (probably with no dialogue), so move them to the last open location. End their turn, then finish the last open location on the next turn. Voila.

• 2 weeks later...

I successfully completed this scenario the first time and so wasn't aware of any problems.  I then played again with my second party and ran into the  bug.  I tried replaying and ran into the  bug a second time.  Sadly I cannot remember what happened the first time I played only that I don't think I temp closed any locations.  Sigh, now here I am waiting for a fix like everyone else.

PS  I tried the vault opening and closing to no avail.

Yeah, there is one surefire workaround for this, but it requires patience and planning, along with, unfortunately, a smattering of luck. All you have to do is make sure not to temporarily close any locations when you are facing the final villain; furthermore, since there is a glitch regarding one of the unique scenario abilities regarding moving after defeating a villain, you have to ensure that there is only one character at the location with the final final when he is defeated. If more than one player character has to move from the final location after the final boss is defeated, The game will freeze any characters who are forced to move beyond the first character.

Does all of this make sense? Once I figured out how to defeat the scenario (after digging through dozens of unofficial forum posts on multiple websites), it took me roughly 5 tries to accomplish due to having to permanently close every single location before engaging the final villain at the final location.

I can verify Strategy Builder's claim, but would add that all locations must be permanently closed before the final villain can be engaged by one, and only one, character at the final villains location. And by engaged, I mean that player character is the only player character at the final open location with the final villain.

Do it that way, and it works like a charm.

Some misinformation is seeping into this thread, unfortunately. Having all locations permanently closed is neither required for avoiding the bug nor a guarantee that the bug will be avoided. This suggestion was a promising lead at first but has since proved incorrect.