Nightbelly Boa remained on top of deck after shuffle

Foxoftheasterisk

Question

As said. Used Augury for Ally while Nightbelly Boa was on top of the deck. After shuffling the boa remained face up on top of the deck.

--

Android 6.0.1 on Nvidia Shield tablet K1

PFID #EC19BBE1B715AFA6

Story mode, Here Comes the Flood, Heroic difficulty, random trait Painful Memories

Party of Lem and Valeros, Lem in Academy casting the Augury, Valeros in the Village House

16 answers to this question

Yeah, it's possible it was just randomly on top of the deck, but it still shouldn't have been face up.

I just did a quick Google on the Boa - guess what, it *does* say "return it to the top of the deck *face up*". In which case - it's working as intended; it's probably not mentioned in the app, but in the card game the face-up card DO NOT get affected by deck shuffles.

• Like 2

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

I can confirm that I've suspected for a while that Augury's shuffle doesn't actually shuffle; at least there is some conflicting condition that causes it to not.  I regularly use Augury to move monsters to the bottom of the deck, and the next card is consistently (I haven't actually tracked stats on this occurring, I probably should start) the other revealed card.  I have on one occasion used Augury, failed to find any of my guessed card, used Augury again (I had another in my hand), drew the exact same 3 cards (and therefore failed to find what I was looking for again), and then the next 3 cards from explore were those 3 cards in that exact same order.  This is the most explicit case of shuffle failing, but I have long held suspicion that something is wrong with their shuffle of location decks (I think when the contents of the deck are unchanged).  My Augury story is combined with reports like this here and running into and evading (with Merisiel) a werewolf on blessing of the gods 3 times in a row (It really undervalues the ability to evade encounters when the card *always* gets put back on top).

The issue of a card being shuffled into the deck and yet being the next card encountered has existed for several patches. I for one have mentioned it (and my deep suspicion of the randomiser) several times over the last few months. It certainly happens more often than 1 in N (where N is the number of cards in the Location Deck).

Strange. I personally have not run this particular problem and rnd has worked as it should have... could that be platform depended?

I have met a countless of bugs during the time I have been playing this game, but newer bad randomization or sufling compared to real tabletop version. The nearest thing has been when die roll has caused a bug to happen, like 2d4 in the past with some enemies, but even that was not bad random roll, it was just normal game crushing bug.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

I just did a quick Google on the Boa - guess what, it *does* say "return it to the top of the deck *face up*". In which case - it's working as intended; it's probably not mentioned in the app, but in the card game the face-up card DO NOT get affected by deck shuffles.

Yup.  And the App has the ability to handle various forms of "soft" shuffles (i.e. specific cards being held back while the remaining deck is reordered).

I did a lot of binary prodding earlier, and I'm reasonably content with the quality of shuffling/randomness.  However, it is hard to guarantee that the right kind of shuffle is being called in each of the zillion different game situations.  

Sometimes I really feel sorry for the programmers who had to find a way to distill all the human-parsed rules and card text into code.  I wasn't around for the beta, but I'm sure it was absolute madness for a while...

I can confirm that I've suspected for a while that Augury's shuffle doesn't actually shuffle....

Challenge accepted :)

qGxTnFhl.jpg?1

Just ran a couple dozen Auguries on the Academy location.  While I did see the top three repeat once or twice, on the whole, it came up different almost every time.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

Yup.  And the App has the ability to handle various forms of "soft" shuffles (i.e. specific cards being held back while the remaining deck is reordered).

I did a lot of binary prodding earlier, and I'm reasonably content with the quality of shuffling/randomness.  However, it is hard to guarantee that the right kind of shuffle is being called in each of the zillion different game situations.  

Sometimes I really feel sorry for the programmers who had to find a way to distill all the human-parsed rules and card text into code.  I wasn't around for the beta, but I'm sure it was absolute madness for a while...

The things are programmers have to do to make everything in this game interact on the level it is supposed to is nothing short of magic. I see card interactions that are simple in the physical game. When I think about how to implement them in the digital game I wonder how they do it.

• Like 2

Longshot is correct.

Mummy's Mask rulebook page 10 gives you the low down on faceup cards.

RULES: FACEUP CARDS
Sometimes a card is left faceup on the top of the location deck.
The card is still in the deck, and it can never leave the top of the
deck until it is defeated or the condition that caused it to be left
faceup on the deck has been resolved. If a faceup card tells you
that you must encounter it on your first exploration on a turn, then
you must encounter it the first time you explore that turn. After
that exploration, ignore it for the purpose of additional explorations
that turn; however, it still counts as the top card of the deck for
any other purpose. If multiple cards are left faceup on the same
deck, you may place them in any order and encounter them in
that order, one per exploration. If you’re instructed to put cards on
top of the deck, put them immediately below any faceup cards. If
you’re instructed to shuffle the deck, leave any faceup cards on top.

The things are programmers have to do to make everything in this game interact on the level it is supposed to is nothing short of magic. I see card interactions that are simple in the physical game. When I think about how to implement them in the digital game I wonder how they do it.

With the additional complexities in each new Adventure Deck, I grow more convinced that the app isn't just compiled C# code, it's a lesser binding incantation to summon a minor demon into your tablet to sort out all the rule interactions.

Witchcraft is clearly the easiest solution.  And it explains the occasional bugs!

• Like 1

With the additional complexities in each new Adventure Deck, I grow more convinced that the app isn't just compiled C# code, it's a lesser binding incantation to summon a minor demon into your tablet to sort out all the rule interactions.

Witchcraft is clearly the easiest solution.  And it explains the occasional bugs!

Of the 4 people who do code for this game I am sure 2 of them already signed away their soul. XD

• Like 2