Hello guys

Can someone help me build a party for PotD with the sticky class guides available on this forum? I tried myself and went for:

1) Golden Dragon Barbarian (Class Guide link)

2) Engineer Fighter (Class Guide link)

3) Drake Ambassador Chanter (Class Guide link)

4) Fire Priest - Godhammer (Class Guide link)

5) Thunder Cat Druid (Class Guide link)

6) Mr. Speedo Cipher (Class Guide link)

Yeah and so far this party proved to be complete garbage, I can barely kill just Maerwald (without any usables) even a party with joinable companions is much stronger, at least in early game.

So what I am asking is if someone could help me choose the most optimal classes for party with sticky class guides featured here: pinned classes

What level?

Otherwise maybe switch the engineer for ploi?http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89995-class-build-counselor-ploi-charming-paladin-supporter-tank/?do=findComment&comment=1855024 If so, switch perhaps ambassador for chillfog https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86968-class-build-chillfog-cool-soothing-chanter-tank/

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Of course a party with official companions is stronger against Maerwald: those chars are one level above hired companions! That is a huge advantage so early in the game - way better than a few minmaxed stat points here and there. Besides that, you can easily use official companions for most builds in the list if you don't follow them too slavishly. 

Then there are builds in your list that start pretty weak and then start to take off rather steeply, liek the Golden Dragon. He's squishy in the early game like all barbs are - you can only use them as "real" tanks after some levels. If he drops too fast early game you need to give him more CON and retrain later. The Drake's Ambassador is another example: he's a pretty ordinary chanter until lvl 9 where he will soon climb the "damage done" ladder to the top. Kana can be played as this build easily: you will have the beneift of a higher level plus his companion quest and his constant cheering. ;)

The Engineer Fighter is a tanky, defensive fighter with lots of self heals. How do you manage to get him killed after all? You can use Edér for this build.

The Fire Priest (use Durance) and also the Thundercat are extremely good builds, too. 

If you can't kill Maerwald with a complete party on PotD (and esp. those you mentioned above) then I can only say (no offense) that you're doing something very wrong - it should be easy even with a party of 6 complete moronically build chars.

I guess you're just using the wrong tactics - and on PotD you need at least some basic ones. Especially if you go to Maerwald with a lowish level - he has a lot of offensive spells that can kill you quickly if you expose your whole group. Standing there and let Maerwald drop one spell after another onto your head will get you killed, right? ;) So for example summon a minion from a figurine and quickly leave the room and take a stand right around the corner after the doorway. You will see that the fight is a lot easier then.

So I assume it's not the chars that lead to your defeat (because I played at least each of my builds on PotD without any problems - some of them even solo!).

After Act I (which usually is the toughest part of the game) they start to become so powerful in their own ways that the game is a joke in terms of difficulty most of the time if you have them all in one party. I predict that if you improve your tactics you will see that the Maerwald fight is easy. 

And calling other's builds "complete garbage" is not the best way to get help by the way - since the guys who wrote the builds are likely the same ones that stick around to help people in need and give advice. ;) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't wanna sound elite at all, but since you called those builds garbage I guess we're even. :)

If you can't defeat Maerwald of all people with a 6 man party including a tanky fighter and a chanter  you're doing something wrong since I soloed Maerwald with both those classes and even IF my build was a little different you're not gonna tell me a full party is weaker than any solo char?

Now as to advice for this particular fight:

Just run out of the room as soon as the fight starts and keep your fighter in the door you entered.

Maerwalds spells also damage the blights and with the blights exploding Maerwald gets damaged, so even before your fighter gets engaged carnage happens.

Now watch how the enemies approach your fighter, if Maerwald is in front you're in luck and attack him with all you've got, if the blights come first use ranged and spells on Maerwald, melee the blights. (Pay attention to the immunities).

Maerwald is super squishy and goes down fast.

And calling other's builds "complete garbage" is not the best way to get help by the way - since the guys who wrote the builds are likely the same ones that stick around to help people in need and give advice. ;)

I don't wanna sound elite at all, but since you called those builds garbage I guess we're even. :)

You guys misunderstood me I didn't call the builds garbage I called the party composition I made garbage (Because I thought maybe I chose bad classes to have decent synergy party) I know very well the guys who make these builds are way more experienced in this than I am and that's why I asked you to help me choose the classes from the available guides (If I found the builds given as garbage I wouldn't ask that).

Now the main problem is not Maerwald, I know he is pretty easy to kill, before I restarted the game I had a party of my own made 6 companions and I steamrolled till white march I quest. But then I decided to start my game anew and build a party with these guides as I have limited experience in mid and late game.

Anyways as I had very hard time in early game, I thought maybe this party composition doesn't work, but now I see that I just need to beat Act I and then it gets easier.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Ah I see. Sorry for the wrong interpretation.

You chose some builds that are rather diffcult at the start and become really strong later on. The barb is the best example. He is a really awesome tank later on but at the start of the game he's way too squishy to be a main tank. Barbs have a weird "power curve". :)

I guess the Thundercat can also fit in that category, same as the priest. Those are superawesome after some levels, but at the beginning they seem to be a bit underwhelming. They simply lack those great spells which they get after some levels - which turn the tide.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This works:

Now as to advice for this particular fight:

Just run out of the room as soon as the fight starts and keep your fighter in the door you entered.

Maerwalds spells also damage the blights and with the blights exploding Maerwald gets damaged, so even before your fighter gets engaged carnage happens.

Now watch how the enemies approach your fighter, if Maerwald is in front you're in luck and attack him with all you've got, if the blights come first use ranged and spells on Maerwald, melee the blights. (Pay attention to the immunities).

Maerwald is super squishy and goes down fast.

I was level 4 or something when I beat Maerwald. I was also having a hard time with my team, they just got nuked too quickly. Succeeded (accidentally) by having the spiders or whatever is around there to fight against him and they eventually killed him. At the time i still had Eder and Aloth (hiring was expensive and i already had full team)

The issue with these builds in the forum is that they target an maximized end-character and how to optimally take benefit with specific items and all.

The real story is that until that point (lvl 1-lvl 12/14/16) the character can be awful and squishy and not fun at all.

Thankfully it can be respec'ed practically for free anytime so if you have someone that does not perform as you'd want at that point just change to something you feel is needed and re-spec again once whatever is needed for that benefit becomes available.

For instance, some builds to work require a configuration that explores the potential of a given skill that only becomes available at level 8. Until then, that character will just not work.

My 2 cents, I hope that was understandable. 

This is kind of what I tend to do. I will build my characters a bit more tanky at the start and then adjust them based on items and natural abilities gained from levels. This goes doubly so for squishy builds.

Edited by Remix