Blarghagh

http://time.com/4564143/hillary-clinton-concession-speech/

For anyone that cares to watch, the concession speech should happen "shortly."

Thank you.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

These 23 Celebrities Said They'll Leave The Country If Trump Wins.

And therein lies the problem with letting your mouth write a check that your ass cant cash. :lol:

Ha you get Katie Hopkins now, at last revenge for foisting Madonna on us is at hand, payback is a female dog.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

A high school friend on facebook (that I haven't logged into in months) said Americans think emails are more important than the LGBT community by voting for Trump and we should be ashamed, I mentioned one of those emails included heavy implications Clinton hates homosexuals.

She told me to stop mansplaining. :C

Until the actual election results I would have agreed with your friend because my experience is many people, including some forum members, did seem almost obsessed with the email scandal 

But I would ask your friend when was Trump homophobic,  because I can recall  when he demonstrated other forms of bigotry but not homophobia ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A high school friend on facebook (that I haven't logged into in months) said Americans think emails are more important than the LGBT community by voting for Trump and we should be ashamed, I mentioned one of those emails included heavy implications Clinton hates homosexuals.

Until the actual election results I would have agreed with your friend because my experience is many people, including some forum members, did seem almost obsessed with the email scandal 

But I would ask your friend when was Trump homophobic,  because I can recall  when he demonstrated other forms of bigotry but not homophobia ?

When he chose Pence, who is openly and actively against LGBT rights and protections and who thinks that conversion therapy is not just okay but better target for governmental funding than AIDS prevention, you know that he isn't big supporter of LGBT people.

• Like 2

When he chose Pence, who is openly and actively against LGBT rights and protections and who thinks that conversion therapy is not just okay but better target for governmental funding than AIDS prevention, you know that he isn't big supporter of LGBT people.

I wonder if Pence still thinks that ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I wonder if Pence still thinks that ?

Pence is an insurance. If anyone tries to get rid of Trump, they get him instead. Look back at Dan Quale and Bush; there were even rumors abound that the CIA would "take care" of Quale if anything would've happened to Bush.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'd "agree."

The thing is my stance is that while no one will deny that about Pence, I do have to question the likelihood that'll arise in terms of policy. In the same fashion that I would acknowledge we seem to have evidence at least heavily suggesting Clinton is homophobic, I would laugh at a person who suggested Clinton would act on those personal beliefs so long as gay marriage is popular politically. Same thing with Pence: yes he would gladly ban gay marriage as a person, but as VP he is very very unlikely to get such an opportunity, and even if, say, Trump lost his position, Pence replaced him as President and he attempted to make such legislature, I'm not 100% certain that even a republican congress would approve. Yes, plenty of Republicans agree, but not all, and politically it wouldn't be a wise move.

I've not really paid Trump's sexism any mind because I don't possibly see how it will affect his presidency to any extreme further than the average Republican (honestly I'm more concerned about the women working in the White House), and here...? Unless someone can explain a likely path through which the gay community can and will be damaged by the Trump administration, I think it a tad unfair to hold their personal beliefs up to scrutiny, but not Clinton's too.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

What will the US do with the Paris accords is a big question now.

We'll wipe our collective ass with it of course.

I was serious but ok. Climate change deniers will soon be at the wheel.

So was I. Pissed off coal people is a big reason Trump won.

Does this mean Hillary will end up in jail where she belongs? I mean, it was a campaign promise.

I'd bet Obola will pardon her before he leaves office, like Ford pardoned Nixon preemptively.

So it looks like the Republicans won both the House and the Senate too.  Wow, what a resounding defeat for the Democrats on all fronts.

Great news for getting a good justice on the Supreme Court, may be even capturing a long time conservative majority.

This just in - Mexico to build wall to keep sudden stream of American immigrants out.

No, but they'll pay for it.

This just in - Mexico Canada to build wall to keep sudden stream of American immigrants out.

No one wants to go to Mexico, not even the Mexicans themselves.

I think something like 70% of Mexicans wish they could move to America, about 30% willing to do it illegally.

A candidate we want gone by 2020? Wasn't he recently involved in a civic suit because he allegedly raped a 13 year old kid? You really think he's going to last a year without being impeached? :lol:

Suit has been withdrawn, appears to have been made up, no evidence at all presented

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

EDIT: Wait no, impeachment means Pence gone too, no? But what happens then?

No

Bill Clinton got impeached over a blowjob,

No

The LP candidates had a disappointing night.

No one cares.

That's just awesome for as long as it takes to realize that Trump's actually tapping that (sorry for the Trumpspeak, really). Now, where's my brain bleach gotten to? Yikes.

Either you know something we don't, or you're confusing the Trump women.

Good luck America, hope the opposition come around and give your soon to be president a chance.  There's talk of California demanding secession - a (Calexit).

Quit teasing. I'd be happy if just the celebrities who promised left.

Isn't the opposition to gay marriage declared unconstitutional so even if pence wanted to do something about it, he wouldn't be able to?

A Supreme Court can always overturn its own decision, especially a ridiculously unconstitutional one. Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Saw a funny joke on how Hurricane Matthew was trying to save the US.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's just awesome for as long as it takes to realize that Trump's actually tapping that (sorry for the Trumpspeak, really). Now, where's my brain bleach gotten to? Yikes.

Yeah, 'twas a mixup. Shows one shouldn't try to write jokes after an all-nighter. :blink:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, 'twas a mixup. Shows one shouldn't try to write jokes after an all-nighter. :blink:

Trump plowed his daughter.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Upon reflecting this... How is it the US has build this cult around the persona of the presidential candidates? Previous to the elections (and even now), I hear so many people saying that they are not liking the candidates as persons (rather than politicians). This is a serious question: why is in the US the personality of a candidate so important, rather than for example his policies, and, would you prefer if the parliament elected the president?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Is this correct? It seems that Hillary would win by 0.12% point if the election was a direct election?

Perhaps it would be better for "democracy" if all states followed "proportional" system of applying elector votes instead of winner takes it all?

Edited by Darkpriest

Decent if belated concession speech by Hillary. It still sounded at times like a bunch of computer generated catch phrases strung together by focus groups but at others she sounded pretty genuine. She also looked more genuine than she managed at any point on the campaign trail. Hopefully she'll just be left in quiet, there's nothing to be gained from anything further and any legal attacks would just be vindictive.

Overall I think there's only a handful of people who have come out of this election with reputations enhanced. Trump won so he pretty much has to be on the list though I doubt it will last. Otherwise, the head of the RNC who did his job properly, perhaps best (if rather against convention) evidenced by me not being able to remember his name. Had to deal with far more internal party division at the organisational level than the Dems who as an institution near universally backed Hillary, and was a net asset to Trump rather than the counter productive spectacles DWS and Brazile made of themselves. Also Colin Powell who came out of his email leaks with reputation actually enhanced and absolutely nailed Hillary's fundamental problem (~the trouble with Hillary is her hubris) as a bonus. Lastly, Bernie Sanders. He'll be the candidate who could and should; and he's made it very difficult for the DNC to blame him for the loss, though no doubt some will try. His supporters will get some inevitable flak for not being enthusiastic/ enthusiastic enough about someone they didn't want in the first place but in the end he probably has gained more by supporting a losing candidate than he would have supporting a winning one.

OTOH the list of people to have their reputation trashed is too long to list.

Is this correct? It seems that Hillary would win by 0.12% point if the election was a direct election?

Perhaps it would be better for "democracy" if all states followed "proportional" system of applying elector votes instead of winner takes it all?

I personally really like our system... We allocate seats in parliament to parties proportional to the numbers of votes each party gathered across the country in a single election (rather than separated by state). This means that the amount of votes a party gets is how many seats it gets. Remember that we have more than two major parties, I'd say CDU, SPD, Grüne, Linke, (sadly) AfD, and in some places FDP are our major parties. The parliament also elects the chancellor, at least in Germany.

Pros:

-shows the exact will of the people

-people vote for parties and ideas instead of persons

Cons:

- may give small parties a lot of power when in a correlation

-less democratic when it comes to the matter of chancellor (at least here)

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

There was a moment in Hillary's concession speech where she sounded like a human being, about when she talked about never giving up in what you believe in. I have to give her that.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

A mixup but we all know it's true. He implied as much himself.