[1.1.4.3] Can't leave (Closed) Mountain Peak - Harpy Monks

mccrispy

Question

It appears that this is the same bug as http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89949-black-tower-mountain-peak-cut-off/... though for a 6-player game the visual map bug isn't present. Posting separately to distinguish the issue for 6-P

Device: BlueStacks emulator

PACG build: 1.1.4.3

Pass & Play: OFF

Permadeath: OFF

Mode: Story

Party Members: Sajan, Ezren, Seelah, Merisiel, Kyra, Valeros

Turn Order: per party

Scenario: 4.3

Difficulty: Legendary

Wildcards: Blood in the Sand, Darkest Night (subsequent attempt: Darkest Night and Impending Doom)

Trigger: ?

On Seelah's turn she encounters a Harpy Monk at Mountain Peak. Most characters fail their Wisdom (including Seelah!) and join her at MP. Seelah defeats HM and succeeds in her Wisdom check to close MP. For her "on closing examine top card" option she chooses Academy, which is the only location connected to MP. The Villain (Black Monk?) is on top of the deck.

Now it is Merisiel's turn so she moves to Academy... only she doesn't. I hit the blue cross, select Academy and move. But nothing happens. Merisiel can only end her turn, where she's offered the option to examine the top of a location deck!

Now it is Kyra's turn at Temple. This executes in the normal manner

Now it is Valeros' turn. Only he can't leave MP

It doesn't matter what I do (short of Forfeit) there's no way to leave the closed MP.

Note: I'm aware of the disconnected location bug, but the map clearly shows that MP and Academy are connected and the link even highlights as normal.

post-163870-0-42835200-1478510121_thumb.jpg

game.sav file StrandedAtMountainPeak.zip

EDIT Further to this, it's not related to the open/close state of Mountain Peak, I simply cannot move to or from Mountain Peak unless a Harpy Monk moves me. Here's a screenie of Seelah trying to move to an open MP.

post-163870-0-36188000-1478512102_thumb.jpg

On this run through (after being forced to Forfeit the previous Scenario) the Wildcards were Darkest Night and Impending Doom

So this behaves exactly the same as the isolated MP issue reported elsewhere, except it's connected on the map.

Edited by mccrispy

6 answers to this question

Note: I'm aware of the disconnected location bug, but the map clearly shows that MP and Academy are connected and the link even highlights as normal.

The Mountain Peak and Academy are not connected.  The line you see is passing through, down to the Temple.  The connection lines between locations can occasionally glitch or shift, making it difficult to tell for sure what locations are tied together.  The game map with movement restrictions should look like the image below.

PZ0OufUl.jpg?1

I formed a 6-man party, got everyone drawn to the Mountain Peak, closed it out, and were able to move everyone back down to the Temple with no issue.  

The disconnected Mountain Peak issue seems to only affect small parties.  When medium/large parties are played, the locations have the correct bi-directional links.

[Edit: Better image]

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

OK this is getting bloody ridiculous! I now have a strategy for dealing with the inaccessible Mountain Peak Location: I start Seelah and Kyra at the location so that they can rip through it as fast as possible without burying too many cards - they can heal so discarded Blessings aren't too much of a risk. The other Characters start together an work through the Locations as logically as they can. They stick together so that being moved around by the Harpy Monks doesn't cause too many issues.

The idea is that once MP is closed, Seelah and Kyra will fail the Wisdom Check of the HMs encountered by the other Characters and be teleported away from MP. Of course, despite it being a Wisdom 8 Check and Seelah being D8+2 and Kyra D10+1 neither of them have failed a single check against the HM and so have been locked in at MP unable to do anything except waste turns and check top cards in the Location Decks. This is worse than bloody ridiculous and it's worse than Legendary difficulty. The AP5 and level cap patch had better (1) come out soon and (2) fix this darn bug or I for one will be deeply unhappy.

The Mountain Peak and Academy are not connected.  The line you see is passing through, down to the Temple.  The connection lines between locations can occasionally glitch or shift, making it difficult to tell for sure what locations are tied together.  The game map with movement restrictions should look like the image below.

[...]

I formed a 6-man party, got everyone drawn to the Mountain Peak, closed it out, and were able to move everyone back down to the Temple with no issue.  

The disconnected Mountain Peak issue seems to only affect small parties.  When medium/large parties are played, the locations have the correct bi-directional links.

[Edit: Better image]

OK, thanks for that. I moved the map around to give me a better look at the way the locations were connected and it certainly seemed that it was connected to Academy. But double-checking my screenies, I think that I can see that the line continues underneath the Academy and goes on to Temple. Right, thanks, I'll give it a go and close this as Answered once I have done so. Edited by mccrispy

OK, thanks for that. I moved the map around to give me a better look at the way the locations were connected and it certainly seemed that it was connected to Academy.

Links should always terminate in the center of the location token.  In your pictures, it is easy to see the lines are off-center in both the Guard Tower and Mountain Peak.

It is a symptom of a scaling issue that crops up occasionally.  The links are generally pointing in the right direction, but the aspect/zoom ratio is slightly off giving minor divergences.  Usually it's not even noticeable, but in this case the displayed links may be misleading.

Oh man i remember this. I was about to post this as a bug but on closer inspection it actually shows two lines, the pink one on the left and a red one on the right, which looks like the mountain peak is connected to the academy but really isn't. This just happens to be a horribly placed location on the map that happens to look like it's connected to a nearby location when it really isn't.

Edited by aznxknight