[1.1.4.3] Defeated Hill Giant Runeslave incorrectly shuffled back into deck with Villain after closing Location

mccrispy

Question

Device: BlueStacks emulator

PACG build: 1.1.4.3

Pass & Play: OFF

Permadeath: OFF

Mode: Tutorial/Story/Quest

Party Members: Sajan, Ezren, Seelah, Merisiel, Kyra, Valeros

Turn Order: per party

Scenario: 4.5

Difficulty: Heroic

Wildcards: not sure

Trigger: Hill Giant Runeslave/Close Location

Apart from Merisiel, who has stayed elsewhere to try to Draw some Blessings, the whole party were at the Thassalonian Library with Mokmurian cornered there and the Blessing Deck on 1; it was Kyra's turn. She used Augury to locate the Hill Giant Runeslave and then defeated him and Banished a Web Spell that she'd brought for the purpose from the other Library. Imagine my horror when - instead of closing the Location normally, the HGR did its undefeated animation and was shuffled back into the deck along with Mokmurian!!! Note that there were 5 or 6 cards in the location deck on Kyra's turn and that the location closed normally, with the exception of the HGR being shuffled back in with Mokmurian.

Fortunately, Valeros was able to defeat Mokmurian (though every Henchman had been defeated, so Mokmurian was at +5 and even though we discarded Mokmurian's Club, played a Blessing of Gorum, a Swipe and a Blessing of Pharasma the result was only 30, just 1 more than needed - man, do my die rolls favour 1s - especially Ezren's Spell Recharge rolls!)

tl;dr Hill Giant Runeslave shuffled into Location deck when defeated in Thassalonian Library with Villain

Edited by mccrispy

5 answers to this question

I think I know what you're talking about but I believe (don't take my word for it) it's working as intended. The scenario power requires that you close the location after you defeat the henchman in order to permanently close it and not shuffle said henchman. However because Mokmurian is also present in the same location, it cannot be closed, scenario power is activated and Hill Giant Runeslave (this also goes for any other undefeated henchman in any other location of this scenario) will be shuffled back. I believe it will banish all other cards but leaves the deck with only 2 cards, the henchman and Mokmurian himself.

Edited by aznxknight
  • Like 1

I think I know what you're talking about but I believe (don't take my word for it) it's working as intended. The scenario power requires that you close the location after you defeat the henchman in order to permanently close it and not shuffle said henchman. However because Mokmurian is also present in the same location, it cannot be closed, scenario power is activated and Hill Giant Runeslave (this also goes for any other undefeated henchman in any other location of this scenario) will be shuffled back. I believe it will banish all other cards but leaves the deck with only 2 cards, the henchman and Mokmurian himself.

^ This.

...Though I admit, I'd be genuinely surprised, if they managed the sequencing in the app right, and the rest of the location cards are actually banished.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

...Though I admit, I'd be genuinely surprised, if they managed the sequencing in the app right, and the rest of the location cards are actually banished.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what is happening.  One scenario I remember ended:

1.  Reveal a Headless Lord on the first or second explore, defeated him and passed the check to close the location

2.  Draw down 8 or 9 location cards and reveal the villain

3.  Oops, location can't close! The Headless Lord un-banishes himself and shuffles back in

4.  Proceed to fight the Headless Lord a half-dozen times and pass/fail the closing check until I finally draw the villain

I might go back and try to replicate the sequence of events for fun, but I was so amusingly frustrated by the end-game of that scenario that the memory stuck with me.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what is happening.  One scenario I remember ended:

1.  Reveal a Headless Lord on the first or second explore, defeated him and passed the check to close the location

2.  Draw down 8 or 9 location cards and reveal the villain

3.  Oops, location can't close! The Headless Lord un-banishes himself and shuffles back in

4.  Proceed to fight the Headless Lord a half-dozen times and pass/fail the closing check until I finally draw the villain

I might go back and try to replicate the sequence of events for fun, but I was so amusingly frustrated by the end-game of that scenario that the memory stuck with me.

Lul, i know something like this could happen, thank god for auguries/scrying/spyglasses

Here's what the physical rulebook says

If you succeed at meeting the When Closing requirement, search through the location deck, take out any villains, and banish the other cards. Any villains you found become the entirety of the location deck, and the location is not closed—but at least you know where the villains are!

So you guys are right! That situation has never come up before for me. Next time it happens (as I'm sure it will) I'll see whether the Location switches to its Closed state or not.