Westworld

ktchong

It's pretty awesome actually - and love that a Danish actress (who was mostly known for Romantic Comedies back in the day) is the lead director of the place :)

But yeah, it's comparable to one of the good Star Trek Holodeck episodes. Full of things not doing what they're supposed to and how that affects human morals and ethics.

Fortune favors the bald.

Its excellent, I am loving it. It makes me think of  those alternative realities  where we are also not real and everything we think is real is in fact controlled  :blink:

Anything from HBO is normally good in my books 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll watch it eventually when I'm able.  Its been on my "want to watch" list since it was announced (huge fan of the original movie).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'll watch it eventually when I'm able.  Its been on my "want to watch" list since it was announced (huge fan of the original movie).

Its awesome, you wont be disappointed and its got brilliant actors like Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hit it up whenever I'm dogsitting over my dad's. He's got the premium channels. This is also my primary source of Game of Thrones and Ash vs Evil Dead.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So Hideo Kojima praised the game design theory in Westworld from this scene:

Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/01/hideo-kojima-praises-westworlds-game-design-theories

Dolores is basically a BioWare love interest: http://www.polygon.com/tv/2016/10/17/13306082/westworld-dolores-bioware-npc

Here are Dolores' branching storylines - called "loop" in the show - presented in a flowchat.  It is taken from HBO Westworld's website:

ww_web_guesthack_delores_v03_he.gif

Edited by ktchong

It's disappointing for an HBO show I think, the western thing is wearing thin, Except Anthony Hopkins. I love it when an old dog can outact everyone else like that. The other old dog, Ed Harris, is doing less well so far IMO. 

But the theme is Western? You can't really expect that to change can you, for me the whole Western theme is just an aspect of the narrative....the real excitement are the other plot developments like ...

" what is the Maze"

" how influential is Arnold " 

" how much consciousness and sentience do the clones\robots have in RL " ...I'm sure we all watched the last episode and the awakening at the end, very exciting  :dancing:

John Milton 

Atleast the into music is good, and Hopkins is marvellous. Otherwise, I'm not very intrigued.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

After all Michael Crichton and the film wrapped it up pretty well. Hope I'm wrong.

And they still did a second movie and short lived TV show after that...

But I imagine that they'd be happy with 4-5 seasons, to be honest.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2-3 seasons would be great and I wish more shows were interested in being shorter. Dexter being a perfect example of not taking a dramatic storyline too far. Sometimes a shorter more focused narrative makes the better impact.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

I was gonna start a thread about this because I think it's hillarious - maybe get people to go through all of the various things that can go wrong...just to warn people who might be thinking of going down this route.

But then I thought everyone would think I was a freaky by association, and they wouldn't see the funny side - why don't you do it?. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

Latest episode was quite surprising, imo. Though if i'll be honest, I only want to see more of Dolores and Teddy. The out-of-west scenes arent that interesting to me. Guess that means deep in me i just want another well made pure wild west tv show.

/edit: Also, Hannibal Lecter said "I just want to tell my stories", so now i wonder if it isnt all just one of his stories.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."