Grey Sleeper vs. Blade of the Endless Paths

The Blade of the Endless Paths is easily better, with it being Durganizable (very nice with the innate speed bonus) and enchantable as you say, however I'd say the Grey Sleeper is more fun. The Grey Sleeper has lots of weird effects that fire off at random, and Slow Spirits is also a reasonable AoE debuff (-60% attack speed), so if you're looking for that zany appeal it's a more fitting weapon - particularly with a Barbarian so you get a load of procs.

I've always personally wanted to make some sort of Master of Death build, likely a Death Godlike Chanter because of their innate abilities to summon the dead and because they have Soft Winds of Death and White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead, and then give them Grey Sleeper for the extra summoning (though I do have a suspicion that you wouldn't be allowed the Grey Sleeper summons and the Invocation summons at the same time, just as you can't have Invocation summons with Figurine summons).

Edited by Jojobobo

With carnage the Grey Sleeper is fun if you attack large groups of enemies. Paralyze here, a summoned vessel there, Twin Stones from time to time.

The weapon dps from the Blade is higher of course. The elemental lash alone results in more damage than most soulbounds can give you with their special feats.

Try The Hours of St. Rumbalt on Maneha and you'll see it's one of the best weapons for a barb though.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for your replies! Pretty much what I expected. Though I didn't know the effects procced on Carnage - that does sound fun. Maybe for my next playthrough though, I'm a newb on PotD so I don't have much room for zany options :)

They also proc with Torment's Reach I think, since on-crit effects and other on-hit effect also work with it - but I haven't tested that. Would be even better with Twin Stones because Torment's Reach and Twin Stones are both cones.

Having barely ever used the Grey Sleeper I have to ask, are the summoned vessels any good?

Not much. Going by memory it's a couple Darguls that you can make to attack your enemies (they won't do so automatically.) By the time you get the estoc, they'll already feel underpowered; so was my experience at any rate.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not much. Going by memory it's a couple Darguls that you can make to attack your enemies (they won't do so automatically.) By the time you get the estoc, they'll already feel underpowered; so was my experience at any rate.

That's a shame, though not hugely surprising I guess. I guess they provide some (not so) warm bodies to throw at your enemies at least.

They can be a nice distraction - esp. if you are solo. They don't last very long though.

I quickly tested the Grey Sleeper with Torment's Reach: sadly, against my expectations, the special effects don't get triggerd by the AoE cone. :(

I tried to do a ranger build with The Grey Sleeper because Twin Stones works with Driving Flight in a really funny way, but 5% spell chance is so low that it's not worthwhile without carnage.