I think monks, ciphers and rouges get the best steadfast bonus. A 25% chance to trigger champions boon on kill is huge. Now, my question is how to get there.

Assuming acc is no problem, dual wielding results in the highest DPS, so it should kill things much faster. On the other hand, I might land the finishing blow with my off hand weapon.

So will one handed style be the better way to go? It will also do considerable damage, especially due to lots of crits, and while the attack speed is lower, I will definitely kill with steadfast.

And finally, which of the three classes do you consider the best wielder?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

If you're planning ahead, the easiest way is probably to keep some low level fights undone until you get it. Run through the (first) Xaurip level of Caed Nua wielding it one-handed and I suspect you'll get your five crit kills pretty quickly.

I'm not really sure which of those three classes gets the most from Steadfast. Personally I'm not all that sure it's that good a weapon for a damage dealer given it misses out on Durganification and a Lash. 

Maybe monk's Torment's Reach would profit most from the +10 MIG. Its cone damage is not weapon based but has its own (high) crush base damage which will profit a lot from +10 MIG. Also the monk can kill very quickly. I just don't know if a kill via Torment's Reach counts. Maybe not.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's quite an effort to unlock the weapon - I haven't managed so far... I keep intending to but somehow I just give up halfway.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Champion's boon looks good on paper, but in actual game play you won't see it very often. Assuming you have to land the killing blow on 4 enemies on average before seeing it proc you have to think if it's worth the effort for the enemies left...

The best proc for Steadfast is Sunlance - with 20mig It deals 100dmg every 7hits (on average) which compensates better the lack of lash/durgan enchantment.

• Like 2

It's good against dragons, because you normally get a bunch of adds to kill and proc Steadfast before unleashing it on the dragon. Plus you have built-in frightened / terrified protection. The only problem is of you want to switch to a better weapon after proccing Steadfast, you lose fear protection.

• Like 1

It's good against dragons, because you normally get a bunch of adds to kill and proc Steadfast before unleashing it on the dragon. Plus you have built-in frightened / terrified protection. The only problem is of you want to switch to a better weapon after proccing Steadfast, you lose fear protection.

Meh, immunity to frightened and terrified is easy to get through a Priest or a scroll, and there are still better weapons for killing dragons. If you're a dedicated single target damage dealer and you really want Champion's Boon, you can even get a Priest to cast it on you (there might even be a scroll for it, I don't remember as I rarely use scrolls).

I still really don't get people's concern with Terrified and dragons - if you have around 100 Will, take Whiteleaf and use Looped Rope the procs are pretty rare (and not long lasting). It really isn't much of a big deal.

Edited by Jojobobo

You buy or craft them again?

Besides, dragons are among the hardest fights; no point in hoarding consumables for another, easier encounter.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I still really don't get people's concern with Terrified and dragons - if you have around 100 Will, take Whiteleaf and use Looped Rope the procs are pretty rare (and not long lasting). It really isn't much of a big deal.

Or skip the fuzz, skill lore to 2 (!) and use a scroll. :)

You buy or craft them again?

Besides, dragons are among the hardest fights; no point in hoarding consumables for another, easier encounter.

There's a couple of circumstances where it's not always a great idea to use protection against fear scrolls vs. dragons when an item could be granting it: when you're solo it takes quite a long time to cast one, factoring in all the potions you need to quaff too. So if you have low concentration then enemies may keep interrupting you if you can't give yourself enough space to cast it. I concur that most of the time it is possible to to quaff DAoM then quickly cast the scroll and anything else you need, but if by chance you find yourself surrounded, then perhaps you will be unable to get one off.

Secondly, if you have the most important potions on your quick items bar (PoDAoM, PoLDI, War Paint and an Endurance Pot) you're out of room unless you take Deep Pockets, which may not work for every build when you're soloing dragons.

I still think Whiteleaf is easier than the scroll in some ways, as the scroll takes up a quick slot and you have to be casting it all the time to keep it maintained. I think the easiest, easiest way to do these fights is to use Whiteleaf over Scrolls of Prayer Against Fear and Carow Golan over Potions of Llengrath's Displaced Image (you only need the Reflex not the Deflection for most dragon fights, which is the same in both instances) plus Scrolls of Defence (so long as the Int drop from Carow isn't going to hurt your scroll durations too much) - that way you only have one thing to maintain and can focus on beating down the dragons much more easily.

There's a couple of circumstances where it's not always a great idea to use protection against fear scrolls vs. dragons when an item could be granting it: when you're solo it takes quite a long time to cast one, factoring in all the potions you need to quaff too. So if you have low concentration then enemies may keep interrupting you if you can't give yourself enough space to cast it. I concur that most of the time it is possible to to quaff DAoM then quickly cast the scroll and anything else you need, but if by chance you find yourself surrounded, then perhaps you will be unable to get one off.

Secondly, if you have the most important potions on your quick items bar (PoDAoM, PoLDI, War Paint and an Endurance Pot) you're out of room unless you take Deep Pockets, which may not work for every build when you're soloing dragons.

That's why I said to use the Whiteleaf, you use it before battle, it's long lasting - and it works more or less just as well, at least if you use Looped Rope too (with belts not being the most competitive clothing slot to begin with). It does make Steadfast rather pointless.

Edited by Jojobobo

I think most shops replenish their stock just on resting, or they have a chance to. In this way, there really isn't a limited supply of any one consumable (apart from something like Mind Grubs). I've played too many survival horror games to want to part with consumables easily, but know knowing that it's pretty easy to get a lot more if you take a little time I'm being much more frivolous with them on my new playthroughs.

Guess I just figured it was on rest as I was travelling from the White March to get these ingredients - in any case it's very regular so you don't need to be too worried about using supplies up (by the Abbey of the Fallen Moon I think I had 300k gold, more to limitlessly buy whatever I wanted for the end game).