Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Provisional Builds

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts
Just an idea I had: would it be viable to build a melee ranger who uses powder burns and quick switch in sort of a fan of flames-fashion?

I'll play around with it in the next days.

If so, I'll probably go with one handed style (since I'll definitely use vicious aim, so I want to build upon the whole accuracy thing). As a weapon probably resolution (because annihilation and WF ruffian, later unlaboured blade). For the compaion I'm thinking of going with something tanky, probably antelope. My damage dealer should be the ranger. Stats I'm thinking something like 18-10-15-18-10-7.

Maybe it'll work great, maybe not at all. I'll see.

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Steam:willdorris

All this is to say, I'm intrigued as to bigwillystyle's.. erm.. style? 

hah!  good question.  I think I've developed some bad habits from having a Priest MC for my last full playthrough on POTD.  I got used to "buff up / summon figurines to take the alpha / CHARGE" which frankly works on anything less than a Dragon, and even then often does.  I don't remember any challenge in the Abbey at all, not even with my main man the High Abbott.  And the Magran's Faithful was literally a breeze.  So, I guess my style would be "Spoiled" if that helps :)

I'll toss on some Scrolls of Valor (I've got plenty of ingredients) & Ryona's Vambraces, and do a slight respec back to your original build.  I got a little cute and built with high CON instead of high DEX which is part of the problem I think.  Getting cute wasn't warranted!  

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Steam:willdorris

Just an idea I had: would it be viable to build a melee ranger who uses powder burns and quick switch in sort of a fan of flames-fashion?

I'll play around with it in the next days.

If so, I'll probably go with one handed style (since I'll definitely use vicious aim, so I want to build upon the whole accuracy thing). As a weapon probably resolution (because annihilation and WF ruffian, later unlaboured blade). For the compaion I'm thinking of going with something tanky, probably antelope. My damage dealer should be the ranger. Stats I'm thinking something like 18-10-15-18-10-7.

Maybe it'll work great, maybe not at all. I'll see.

Nothing's tankier than the pig, in my opinion.  The big has a ton of HP.  

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13272 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Vicious Aim doesn't work in melee. Only Swift Aim works in melee as well as ranged. Both don't work with Powder Burns - like Twinned Arrow.
  • Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts
I assumed it worked in melee like swift aim... Well, that's disappointing :/

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yo actually i got already bored of tyranny, i'm going for a run with the rogue build... I think i will go for Godansthunyr instead than the lance for personal taste. I will also provider some feedback in the future

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sounds good to me. Work has been keeping me busy so I haven't been keeping on top playtesting these. I got as far as Act III and WM Part I with the Barbarian, but damn, some of the upscaled encounters are tough without a tankier build.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13272 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

For the barb: go for max CON and dumped DEX - worked for me (with dual sabres though). With HoF you don't need DEX most of the time. ;)

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm sure that would probably be better, but I like Dex for the coolness factor - the DPS gives the Barb a selling point over being just another tanky Barb. I'm close to getting Dragon's Leap, so maybe I'll get that and have another go at Longwatch Falls, I have cleared quite a bit of the area - just not the monk bounty so I can get the Sandals or the huge group of Lagufaeth to get to the cave and get the Vambraces (you know, the two most important bits of the area to take on for the build  :facepalm:).

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I just tryed a boreal dwarf druid boar build. So far so good, max might, con & int, min res, is doing very well. Talent up to now: veteran recovery, gallant focus, paesant weapon focus.
For Spice things a bit i would go for corrode wildstrike and consequentially for Spirit of decay. But i just discovered that the dot from autumn decay and the evocated skull are sadly NOT affected by the talent :(
So actually the only elemental lash that makes sense for optimization is lighting, maybe fire but is largely inferior.

Edit: anyway poisoned styke is on the way nontheless, also if the " poison/ corrode theme" will convert in lighting soon i suppose

Edited by Dr <3, 05 December 2016 - 04:22 PM.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I paused at the moment the rogue run, is just too similar to a normal rogue run, at least until you reach 2/3 of the game. All the tools that make the build " unique " comes really late sadly.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13272 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I just tryed a boreal dwarf druid boar build. So far so good, max might, con & int, min res, is doing very well. Talent up to now: veteran recovery, gallant focus, paesant weapon focus.
For Spice things a bit i would go for corrode wildstrike and consequentially for Spirit of decay. But i just discovered that the dot from autumn decay and the evocated skull are sadly NOT affected by the talent :(
So actually the only elemental lash that makes sense for optimization is lighting, maybe fire but is largely inferior.

Edit: anyway poisoned styke is on the way nontheless, also if the " poison/ corrode theme" will convert in lighting soon i suppose

I did nearly the same - but I took Novice's Suffering for the times I'm not shifted and it worked out well. I also ended up with using Heart of the Storm. Although Scion of Flame is not too bad when you choose some fire spells as mastery at lvl 1 and two.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Or i will just skip that talent and pick something else like bear fortitude...

Edit: or beast Slayer... That apply to spells to if i remember correcly... But works also on Dots?

Edited by Dr <3, 06 December 2016 - 01:48 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13272 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Nopedynope. Not last time I tried with The Dragon Thrashed on a chanter.

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I paused at the moment the rogue run, is just too similar to a normal rogue run, at least until you reach 2/3 of the game. All the tools that make the build " unique " comes really late sadly.

Were you playing solo or in a party? I think on solo it would differentiate itself quite quickly, especially if you spam for things like Hiro's Mantle early (which dramatically ups the builds viability with Deep Wounds - and is probably for more impactful then Retaliation in terms of dishing out damage) - but if it is party play I think it would be a little trickier for it to shine.

In terms of the goodies coming late game, when I eventually get round to playing it I'll probably rush to get to Lle a Rhemen for the spear, which I don't think would be too onerous. However you are right, there is a definite wait for the payoff no matter how much you meta-game and rush things.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
@ boeroer: yesterday i found that poison stryke apply no more to the whole area of rot Skulls, only to the main target. So maybe is still good, but basically no more than a autumn decay well aimed. Instead going full melee i reached 160 dmg with 1 hit, so i suppose i will Stick to an heavy shapeshift build, since other talent are not boosting much rot Skulls anyway. Also Dangerous implement is far from "very good".

@jojobobo : going solo of course. But as you know even find azzurro happen not so fast by itself, and rech chlandillah is not so much faster then Godansthunyr, since you can just talk to the dragon, steal the hammer and run away in safety. The rest of build is wm2. So basically you are a rogue with a shield and Deep wounds, that is ok, but is bit boring compared to a faster for example.

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

@jojobobo : going solo of course. But as you know even find azzurro happen not so fast by itself, and rech chlandillah is not so much faster then Godansthunyr, since you can just talk to the dragon, steal the hammer and run away in safety. The rest of build is wm2. So basically you are a rogue with a shield and Deep wounds, that is ok, but is bit boring compared to a faster for example.

You can cheese Azzuro being there, just chain wait at the Stronghold to see what dilemmas appear and then if he doesn't repeat. Then once you've solved his dilemma, do the same for the item. It's definitely tedious, but entirely do-able to get the cloak mid-Defiance Bay-ish.

I guess I quite like builds that pay off after a lot of effort (the Gunslinger was a far worse example than the Rogue) so I think I'd enjoy the pay off more, maybe I'm just more masochistic than you  :biggrin:

I finally got the Sandals of the Forgotten Friar plus Ryona's Vambraces on the Barb, and currently doing 31-35 damage with 8 DR bypass - to say the least, it's very good.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
How you manage to kill the alpine dragon?

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Ok i decided to abide the " corrosion " theme about my boar druid and go straight for lighting for pure powerplay reasons.
I'm still puzzled about what talent to take, these are the possible choice and how much i like them ( consider that his is a solo build, so need to tank a bit and there is no Priest):
++ Gallant focus ( +4 accuracy to melee and spells is always powerful )
++ Veteran recovery ( with max int & str this keeps you alive more than anything else, and is free, maybe is less useful late game)
++ Wild strike / greater wild strike : togheter they give you a +45% dmg lash
++ Weapon focus paesant
++ Two weapons style
+ Heart of the storm --> actually is like +10% dmg from lash
+ Outlander frenzy --> 0-recovery, +10% dmg from strengh
+ Apprentice sneack attack --> +15% dmg
+ Savage attack --> +20% dmg, -5 melee accuracy

So 10 talents and only 8 slots...

1 thing to consider is that with the boar we have 2 lash:
wildstrike (45%)
Tusks wounding (20%)
For a Grand total of +65%.
This actually transform some meh talents like savage attack and apprentice sneack attack in powerful ones:
Savage attack :
+20% dmg --> + 9% dmg from wildstrike lash and --> + 4% dmg from tusks lash
So il like a +33% dmg in total, wich is a lot.

Edited by Dr <3, 07 December 2016 - 02:08 AM.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I feel i will drop heart of the storm ( the lesser dmg bonus) and outlander frenzy ( sanguine plate ftw) and take all the other.

Another plan could be go more defensively for sword&shield style and maybe bear fortitude, but only ingame testing will help me i suppose...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users