I think the thing is with Ryona's Vambraces is that I likely won't have them most of the game as the Alpine Dragon is crush immune. I guess I'll see how early I can take him on, but with this character he's probably one of the bosses I'll most struggle with. If I do leave it until end game, Gauntlets of Swift Action will more than make up for it in the mean time (with a side of Siegebreaker Gauntlets if enemies are interrupting the crap out of me).

In terms of abilities, I think Wild Sprint is much better now than Thick Skinned (which has, and always will be, kind of lame). Getting into the tower at Heritage Hill, it's very obvious that mages are a big problem due to the build's low Relfex and Deflection (Deflection wards against the likes of Necrotic Lance and Cleansing Flame), and while I did realised this which is why I stuck Snake's Reflexes on the build, handling it earlier is definitely a benefit. While Dragon Leap will help when you get it, Wild Sprint is much more useful earlier and also later in situations where casters are fanned out as you can only Dragon Leap plus HoF on one of them when the surrounding melee guys dog pile in - meaning you'd take a lot of spell hits otherwise to get to any additional casters. Further, I normally use Survival bonuses for speed, but here they'd be better spent on accuracy for the boss monsters - and as I really don't want to use Boots of Speed end game Wild Sprint remains a premier option to get decent positioning (Llengrath, Magran's Faithful, and the like).

So yeah, Wild Sprint can move into the 9 slot and One Stands Alone into the 15 - Flanked immunity (more or less) is still extremely useful in my opinion. This is build development in action, I'm sure you're all extremely thrilled (don't worry, it's wry humour, not genuine megalomania - or at least I think it is).

Edited by Jojobobo

Since in solo mode you will outlevel most foes: Eye of the Storm may also be good. I don't know if it prevents flanking altogether when you can't get engaged, but running around with Wild Sprint and suffering from no disengagement attacks is quite handy.

You can get Ryona's Vambraces without fighting the Alpine Dragon. You just need 17 RES in order to unlock the dialogue options where you can help him with his soul issues. He will give you the Vambraces as reward. You can still kill him later. But maybe 17 RES is hard for you to achieve?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Since in solo mode you will outlevel most foes: Eye of the Storm may also be good. I don't know if it prevents flanking altogether when you can't get engaged, but running around with Wild Sprint and suffering from no disengagement attacks is quite handy.

It's a little handy, but I don't really see the need. Barbs have good endurance and endurance heals to make up for damage from disengagement, and when I get Dragon Leap and HoF most people will die anyway (you can easily hit level 16 before Act II and in WM pt I), plus I'll take Wild Running too to ease disengagement. All in all, I'd say it's definitely not worth the ability, though the abilities in this build are hardly a hot contest so most could be switched out.

EDIT: I thought more about this ability, and while it is very good I don't think it's as worthy as One Stands Alone - at least for solo play. For solo play you level much faster, so getting access to Dragon Leap does defeat the point if Wild Sprint to a good extent, and I would say especially Eye of the Storm. But in party play where the levelling up comes much slower it definitely has it's advantages - I think my initial thoughts about it player it down too much and likely it's a stronger option than One Stands Alone in party play as other party members lessen the impact of Flanked on your Barb. As I mentioned, this build is loosey-goosey for abilities, so it is extremely easy to chop and change.

You can get Ryona's Vambraces without fighting the Alpine Dragon. You just need 17 RES in order to unlock the dialogue options where you can help him with his soul issues. He will give you the Vambraces as reward. You can still kill him later. But maybe 17 RES is hard for you to achieve?

I will definitely do that (very easy to buff to that level from 10), remarkable that you can do that with one of the worst bosses in the game and yet one of Serel's options requires Resolve 18 (at least, I think). A very sensical choice by the devs, for sure.

Edited by Jojobobo

I am so hype for this two handed wizard build that Boeroer is debuting! A couple of questions:

1. What is spell mastery going to look like for you?

2. Which stats are you prioritizing?

3. Any chance of using the Soulbound warhammer (for trash mobs, say, save Citzal's for the real challenge)

4. How is it playing so far?

:)

prototype00

Edited by prototype00

I only did bounty testing so far. Can't say how it fares throughout a whole playthrough - I will find out this evening I guess. ;)
But since it's a wizard it will be all good I guess.

Spell Masteries: I will test different spells. But my first guess is 2-Corrosive Siphon, 3-Alacrity & 4-Pull of Eora. Lvl 1 i'm not sure. Either Wizard's Double, Eldritch Aim or Spirit Shield. For level 2 I will also test if using Infuse with Vital Essence prophylactically will reduce health loss a lot or not.

Stats with higher values will be MIG, INT and PER. DEX, RES and CON will remain untouched I guess. When I choose to max MIG/INT/PER I might have to dump one stat, maybe RES. Then I will def. take Spirit Shield as mastery for lvl 1. Or I will put DEX, RES and CON at 08 or so. I'll see how things work out.

Of course you can use Abydon's Hammer - especially the 1/encounter stun before going in and for some AoE spells in order to deal more damage. I think I will not have to rest because I don't have no use of Spirit Lance left, but mainly because my health is low or my uses for self buffs are all gone. ;) 

@K Galen B: Good to know, thanks for the info. I used it a lot with a blaster build quit some time ago and I couldn't remember if a spell mastery would make sense or not.

@prototype00: Merciless Gaze doesn't seem to make a lot of difference compared to other lvl-2-spells like Corrosive Siphon (which is really good: AoE dmg + healing). Combusting Wounds is also good with the Lance. But MG lasts for a long time which is also a good thing. In solo runs it will be better than with parties: the longer the encounter, the better the payoff of Merciless Gaze I guess. As I said I will test a bit more and then I'll see what feels is the best choice. Maybe it will be Merciless Gaze, who knows? ;)

Edited by Boeroer

The Barbarian build is kind of rough in the Abbey.  I am going to play around with it some more, but lots of misses.  

I find you have to be pre-prepared for pretty much every encounter at the Abbey anyway. I'd maybe change it up and go with Gauntlets of Accuracy, Tower resting bonus, Aldwyn's Boon and a +1 food item, Mantle of the Excavator and I'd also use Scrolls of Valour for +30 accuracy - this gives you 120 total (use a Figurine distraction while you set the scroll). Having a peak at their Deflection, Sworn Swords have 116, Cresentwards 133 (unless they had Crowns of the Faithful active or something), Tidalfists 97 and Faithbinders 81 - I didn't check the Wizard or Chanter losers because I think there's would presumably be lower.

The Abbey PotD upscaled, let's face it, is always a massive pain in the arse - especially solo. I think some pre-buffing to get through it is standard, but with patience it should be do-able, especially if you throw in a few Scrolls of Confusion here or there - if you buff the accuracy like that I think they would work with the Int given even just on grazes or hits (I think scrolls benefit from the level bonus like all spells, but I'd have to double check, in which case you're using 110 accuracy which I think as it targets Will is also fine). For me, it's above and beyond the toughest and most tedious part of the game (let's have almost 20 encounters of the same thing, over and over again).

EDIT: Or alternately use a Superb Kith-Slaying Vile Loner's Lance one-handed. Superb Kith-Slaying and Accurate give +22 acc, one-handed gives +12, Disorientating means -5 Defences (for an effective +5 acc again) - given that fists are +20 this has 19 accuracy more. Or maybe go Vile Loner's Lance and fist, it's hard to say without testing myself.

Edited by Jojobobo

Playing the lance guy atm - I don't know, but in early levels Merciless Caze is really useless. Even in longer fights it may trigger once, I never saw it trigger twice - i mostly graze at the moment. :) But that's still a lot of damage with Concelhaut's Staff. Siphon is much cooler in my opinion. Might change with more levels though...

• Like 1

I'm curious, bigwillystyle, what exact strat are you using for the Abbey? (We can PM this if you like?)

I'd first, based on the numbers I've given, target people with the least Deflection (if you target the tanks, you hit them less often and get less Carnage) - from what I've experienced the tanks at the Abbey aren't high damage anyway, so if you take out the weedier mob members first you should fare better. If you kill them first, you can tank some misses against the sturdier members. With a highly mobile Barbarian (and with Blunting Belt - which I'd recommend on and off the entire game - some decent plate and Second Skin), and the standard Dragon Leap and HoF combo, I'm at a little of a loss to see what the difficulties are - especially if you are doing party play? I've amassed 19 Scrolls of Valor very early already (Kurnd sells Ta Ondra Tara, various people sell small number of Stalgaer Teeth and Dyrcap is available from herb sellers everywhere) - I expect when I get to the Abbey I'll have a meaty supply, and to be honest I think what I described above was overkill in terms of adding acc, the scrolls should be enough.

Some misses are to be expected if you're not looking for crits, 1-15 is the range for miss and that is accuracy = defence and you will be lower than that, but you should also have around two attacks per second from what I've found - and even for some late game enemies the 90 accuracy I described is higher than their Deflection.

All this is to say, I'm intrigued as to bigwillystyle's.. erm.. style? The Abbey does, as I've said, require strategical ideas that are simply not required in early game. I will be testing the build in the late game when I get there regardless. For a needless update, I'm currently level 10 (I've yet to try my new earned Vuln Attack, I've decided to dump Barb Blow to 12 or 14). I want to get HoF before Stalwart, but I may also over level to get Dragon Leap before I start.

Edited by Jojobobo

Just an idea I had: would it be viable to build a melee ranger who uses powder burns and quick switch in sort of a fan of flames-fashion?

I'll play around with it in the next days.

If so, I'll probably go with one handed style (since I'll definitely use vicious aim, so I want to build upon the whole accuracy thing). As a weapon probably resolution (because annihilation and WF ruffian, later unlaboured blade). For the compaion I'm thinking of going with something tanky, probably antelope. My damage dealer should be the ranger. Stats I'm thinking something like 18-10-15-18-10-7.

Maybe it'll work great, maybe not at all. I'll see.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

All this is to say, I'm intrigued as to bigwillystyle's.. erm.. style? 

hah!  good question.  I think I've developed some bad habits from having a Priest MC for my last full playthrough on POTD.  I got used to "buff up / summon figurines to take the alpha / CHARGE" which frankly works on anything less than a Dragon, and even then often does.  I don't remember any challenge in the Abbey at all, not even with my main man the High Abbott.  And the Magran's Faithful was literally a breeze.  So, I guess my style would be "Spoiled" if that helps :)

I'll toss on some Scrolls of Valor (I've got plenty of ingredients) & Ryona's Vambraces, and do a slight respec back to your original build.  I got a little cute and built with high CON instead of high DEX which is part of the problem I think.  Getting cute wasn't warranted!  

Just an idea I had: would it be viable to build a melee ranger who uses powder burns and quick switch in sort of a fan of flames-fashion?

I'll play around with it in the next days.

If so, I'll probably go with one handed style (since I'll definitely use vicious aim, so I want to build upon the whole accuracy thing). As a weapon probably resolution (because annihilation and WF ruffian, later unlaboured blade). For the compaion I'm thinking of going with something tanky, probably antelope. My damage dealer should be the ranger. Stats I'm thinking something like 18-10-15-18-10-7.

Maybe it'll work great, maybe not at all. I'll see.

Nothing's tankier than the pig, in my opinion.  The big has a ton of HP.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure that would probably be better, but I like Dex for the coolness factor - the DPS gives the Barb a selling point over being just another tanky Barb. I'm close to getting Dragon's Leap, so maybe I'll get that and have another go at Longwatch Falls, I have cleared quite a bit of the area - just not the monk bounty so I can get the Sandals or the huge group of Lagufaeth to get to the cave and get the Vambraces (you know, the two most important bits of the area to take on for the build  :facepalm:).

I just tryed a boreal dwarf druid boar build. So far so good, max might, con & int, min res, is doing very well. Talent up to now: veteran recovery, gallant focus, paesant weapon focus.

For Spice things a bit i would go for corrode wildstrike and consequentially for Spirit of decay. But i just discovered that the dot from autumn decay and the evocated skull are sadly NOT affected by the talent :(

So actually the only elemental lash that makes sense for optimization is lighting, maybe fire but is largely inferior.

Edit: anyway poisoned styke is on the way nontheless, also if the " poison/ corrode theme" will convert in lighting soon i suppose

Edited by Dr <3