Learning curve or not... I'm still not satisfied. Why is this happening? Why can't I be the party leader I'm trying to be? There's something I'm missing...

No... Just levels and expirience, both in game and litteraly. 

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

You're right ben, but if I don't find the game alluring from the very start, I can't get past the first few hours...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Lets think about now and not focus on late game, shall we? :)

You can always switch to story mde the first couple of levels, and when your character is up and running, go back on higher difficulties

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

The game on easy has just so few enemies... going story would just remove even more of them... I need something that makes me FEEL the MC not, a change to difficulty. If I value my char, I'll adjust...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

No, going story mode gives you the number of enemie you would have on normal, but with reduced stats

Is that so? Didn't know... anyway... the above concept still applies.. The MC is weak, not charismatic. The personal story doesn't enter into the plot.... he dies quickly... too many wrong things...

I'm in game right now, playing around with a few concepts. give me some time.... like half an hour or so. As a benchmark, I'm using the three bandits you mentioned. I'll go ahead and fight them with different variations of your druid. 

• Like 1

And everybody knows

Perhaps a Druid is not for you.

All classes are going to be fairly weak at the beginning of the game. Your character is an ordinary guy who has his quest thrust upon him: he has to work at becoming powerful. Act I, and possibly act II as well, are very much low level campaigns.

Compare to, say, Baldur's Gate 1: no class you pick will feel powerful for the first few levels. Even fighters could be killed by a couple of unlucky hits, and wizards couldn't afford to be hit at all. It took until around level 5 for characters to start feeling competent and they didn't start feeling powerful until perhaps 9+. In this respect PoE is doing the job of being a spiritual successor to  BG very well. If you enter combat expecting the game to play like an action RPG you're going to be disappointed.

Not sure quite what you mean about the personal story not entering the plot: for the first half or so of the game, the personal story drives the plot.

Yes explanation is needed: For personal story I don't mean the watcher thing, I mean the BG.

And yes, maybe I come from recent action rpgs that make it so that you level along with the foes. Strong at start, stronger in the end.

But the sensation that I am the leader of the group doesn't emerge, and I'm suffering this. How can I be leader if I'm weaker than Eder?

I'm level 3 starting game. Plain armor, quarterstaff in hand.

Stats are:

MIG 16

CON 7 ( not so min maxed after all...)

DEX 10

PER 14

INT 16

RES 15

Cross class fighter reg. talent.

Also, while shifted, I miss a lot.. dunno why.

Early game your stats are evened with the enemy, but you'll outlevel them so you won't miss much and become tougher. 7 con is lowish. I wouldn't go lower than 8.  And on easy mode you may as well put con at 10 and lower res. Every point in Constitution increases your endurance by 5%, which in my opinion is more useful than 1 point in Resolve ie. deflection.

Does a general need to be at an physical advantage over his fellow soldiers? What sepreates a leader is in many cases not his strength. It is maybe his wits. Maybe his charisma. Maybe his determination. 

Your druid posses maybe not physical thughness, but he does posses the last three. And from a BG point of view, that fits... Your character is not strong. I think I even wrote that he got alng by slaying ghuls and wichts. He is a failed monster hunter, not a living legend. Remember that

One question: Which spells and how frequently do you use?

And everybody knows

How can I be leader if I'm weaker than Eder?

Because you're smarter, or more charismatic, or are more driven? There could be many different reasons why you are the leader of the group. Or perhaps you're not the leader, perhaps your group doesn't really have a leader. When I meet up with my main group of friends we don't elect a leader: we decide things by consensus.

By the way, you won't think Eder is stronger than you when you hit level 9 and get relentless storm. In fact you'll be hard pressed to believe anything is stronger than you for a duration of that spell.

• Like 1

And remember: The pillars characters are all broken lifes in one way or another... It probably does not take a very strong person to follow them, just abit of charisma and/or that "certain somethig" (can you say that in english?)

For example, up until recently I rolled a 2 might CC Wizard with very high resolve, int and per to play a good main while still being a caster. Do you think she could convince the others to follow her based on physical strength? ;)

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

You know you can just leave the difficult encounters until later (you are talking about the bears encounter right, it's hard to keep track)? I take on whatever tricky encounters I can Act I and leave those I can't until a later point, as I play solo my mileage varies a lot early game in terms of what I can and can't do as the different classes. This latest build I cleared out all of Caed Nua (even the library) before taking on Maerwald, but for some builds that will be extremely difficult so I just skip it - there's more than enough experience to go around in this game by the end.

Once you're in Act II, there's a lot you can do with minimal combat to gain experience - and with a party I imagine it's all the easier. You don't even have to start Act II when you've finished Caed Nua, you can recruit Sagani and then head towards Dyrford Village for Hiravias and Grieving Mother. Then, you can do all the Act I stuff you missed out on with a decent party. A lot of people say, "Oh I like to take on every encounter precisely when I get to it, otherwise it's weaksauce," but with the addition of the expansions I'd say this game has become increasingly non-linear in terms of how to tackle it and so you should just try it in whatever way you find enjoyable.

What I will say is, you post an awful lot in this thread, and whenever you're posting means you're likely not playing the game (unless you're accessing the forums with a phone or tablet at the same time) - so I'd stick at the game for longer and still post, it can be difficult to progress otherwise. I'm not trying to discourage you currently, but I think it might be limiting your progress. In the end, you do need to try things - there's only so much knowledge people can share.

"certain somethig" (can you say that in english?)

You can, but in true English form you can also say "Je ne sais quoi" because if there's one thing the English language does best, it's steal from other languages.

It's like the old saying about English not having a word for schadenfreude. It's nonsense, of course we have a word for schadenfreude, it's schadenfreude. (I feel like I need an award because I spelled correctly schadenfreude first try)

Wow... that's a lot of text, but I went through all. So, yes, I don't play much, basicly because of my job (I'm at work now, can't do, and tomorrow mornign I'll sleep) so I try to conceive a character as best as I can, and then put it into practice. Today i tried the druid, and basicly, when I play, (I also wrote it somewhere in the thread) I lose the "drive" after few minutes. I just can't help it. My MC is just a weak peasant, misses a lot, it's tiny... there's nothing heroic about it, not even the fact that he's a watcher. Why am I, anyway? Who asked for it? I don't even lose my time watching the "golden square" npcs to know their story... I'm just not interested... I want to see my char evolve, in a linear manner, yes, but still evolve. I'm puny until level 9ish or so, and this isn't fair at all... 

"certain somethig" (can you say that in english?)

You can, but in true English form you can also say "Je ne sais quoi" because if there's one thing the English language does best, it's steal from other languages.

It's like the old saying about English not having a word for schadenfreude. It's nonsense, of course we have a word for schadenfreude, it's schadenfreude. (I feel like I need an award because I spelled correctly schadenfreude first try)

I hate to tell you, but all nouns in german are spelled with capital letters... so it should be "Schadenfreude" ;)

Sorry... I just had to :p

And everybody knows

I'm smarter, charismatic ecc...

Where do I notice this in game?

Edited by Slack83er

Wow... that's a lot of text, but I went through all. So, yes, I don't play much, basicly because of my job (I'm at work now, can't do, and tomorrow mornign I'll sleep) so I try to conceive a character as best as I can, and then put it into practice. Today i tried the druid, and basicly, when I play, (I also wrote it somewhere in the thread) I lose the "drive" after few minutes. I just can't help it. My MC is just a weak peasant, misses a lot, it's tiny... there's nothing heroic about it, not even the fact that he's a watcher. Why am I, anyway? Who asked for it? I don't even lose my time watching the "golden square" npcs to know their story... I'm just not interested... I want to see my char evolve, in a linear manner, yes, but still evolve. I'm puny until level 9ish or so, and this isn't fair at all... 

First of all, already having level 2 spells will help you a great deal. You are in a forum where literally months have been spend on discussing this game, so obviously people talk a lot about that one great spell. But don't worry... for example, level one tanglefood and sunbeam are some very good spells. Level two autum's decay is an increduble nuke for example. 

Truth is, after months of playing a game, you automatically think of certain extremly good high level spells. But there are many extremly potent low level spells that stay relevant throughout the entire game. And just when they are at the stage of becoming irrelevant, they become per encounter and suddendly they are hugley important again. But aside from one or two, people don't tend to talk a lot about them.

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

I hate to tell you, but all nouns in german are spelled with capital letters... so it should be "Schadenfreude" ;)

Maybe, but I was not using the German word, I was using the English word  :p

Well played

And everybody knows

I'm smarter, charismatic ecc...

Where do I notice this in game?

As you progress further, there will be more and more dialouge options that will be available through int, res, per or through reputation. I think it is safe to say that the level of personality of your in game character enhanced with progression in the game

And everybody knows

As you progress further, there will be more and more dialouge options that will be available through int, res, per or through reputation. I think it is safe to say that the level of personality of your in game character enhanced with progression in the game

You also form it by choosing dialogue options with particular dispositions attached.

Can't say I like it Ben....personality should be set, not earned through experience... This is why this game lacks the CHARISMA stat after all I suspect... Damned d&d, I'm exigent...

EDIT. Personality can change ofc, during gameplay, accordingly to experiences made, but you can't be a maggot at the start..

Edited by Slack83er