Yes, about the focus with soulbound, you're right. Universal.

Didn't think at the pike.... isn't it a bit "soldier-ish?"

I wanted to have higher reach to be 2nd liner when and if the shift wears out...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

lwf_hirsche_menschen_geschichte_2004_1.j

Nope, I'd say it's totally legit :)

It's an painting from medival germany. It shows the work of the peasants who needed to accompany the nobles during their hunts. They were armed with spears, as you can see.

And you know... for a small boar, a spear might be enough. For a big monster, you need to get something bigger... a pike ;) 

But serioulsy: he pike in my opinion suits the genral theme both in lore and optics as well as having reach.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

It's worth noting that pikes in PoE are closer to (two-handed) spears than pikes in length. Calling them pikes is generous.

Also Tall Grass is a very good weapon and is available relatively early on.

You are of course right... But most military pikes (and do correct me if I am wrong) were designed to pull down knights from horses, so they looked very different. I don't think that is the kind of pike pillars tries to recreate ;)

And everybody knows

You are of course right... But most military pikes (and do correct me if I am wrong) were designed to pull down knights from horses, so they looked very different. I don't think that is the kind of pike pillars tries to recreate ;)

You might be right, I always assumed "pike" only referred to the military weapon but I am no expert. Certainly a military style pike would be a truly terrible weapon in the sort of fights PoE has.

fecb1aa1126cbb0d524474903373c001.jpg

found some pikes to showcase what I mean... You see how some of them are clearly aimed at pulling someone down. And Slacker... still thik pillars pikes are too soldierlike? ;)

And everybody knows

Yeah...maybe pike is the only weapon that can suit my MC's flavour and utility. Superb. 

I also thought earlier of quarterstaves because they share focus with unarmed... Boer's suggestion if I'm not wrong...

Staves include the greenstone, which is fine. The only thing I hate is that they're wielded like clubs... I mean... the char just smashes them in the head of the foe as if it were a bottle of beer... haha ...:)

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

fecb1aa1126cbb0d524474903373c001.jpg

found some pikes to showcase what I mean... You see how some of them are clearly aimed at pulling someone down. And Slacker... still thik pillars pikes are too soldierlike? ;)

Well.. some of these...I'd call the halberds.... but no, you're right, they fit.

Well.. tomorrow morning I'll try my new dwarf-bear-pikeman-Druid-MC. He's almost ready. Just need some talents to make him the monster hunter... would you take the talent against beasts?

Then a high survival to get vs beast camp bonuses?

I also know that hunter suits more a ranger than a Druid but I didn't find any suitable bg I liked, and Ben still came up with an excellent bg anyway!

• Like 1

To be honest, I'd rather have a spell casting spirit shifting druid hunt down that giant dragon than some guy with his pet.... ;)

This I agree with. :)

• Like 1

I noticed there's a relatively low number or good/unique quarterstaves and pikes in this game... pity that.

Someone knows if they're the only long reach weapon available? 

Also... is Greenstone staff the only SB weapon I could use?

I noticed there's a relatively low number or good/unique quarterstaves and pikes in this game... pity that.

Someone knows if they're the only long reach weapon available?

Also... is Greenstone staff the only SB weapon I could use?

Yes, they are the only ones. But I think there are enough good pikes... Early and mid game you got Jena's lance, then mid and late game tall grass. You don't need more than that :)

For SB weapons, the scepter also binds to Druids, and there are a few melee weapons that bind to all classes. Other than that I'm not sure... Never "wasted" SBs on Hiravaias since he has spiritshift ;)

EDIT: the following weapons bind with Druids:

EDIT 2: Those weapons who unlock Druid specific powers have been modified

Unlaboured blade

Grey sleeper

Gyrd Hawenes... (20% chance to cast restore spiritshift on hit or crit)

Steadfast (20% chance to cast restore major endurance when hit by a crit)

Greenstone (3% (is that right?) chance to cast conjure lesser blight on hit or crit)

Abydon's Hammer

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Pike and quarterstaff are the only reach weapons. Good quarterstaffs are Durance's staff and Llawran's stick. The best pike is Tall Grass. All of them can be obtained early, which is good.

Durance's Staff is the only reach weapon besides Citzal's Spirit lance that has two damage types.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, they are the only ones. But I think there are enough good pikes... Early and mid game you got Jena's lance, then mid and late game tall grass. You don't need more than that :)

I wouldn't even bother picking up Jêna's Lance. I'd run with a normal or fine pike until I could visit Dyrford then run with Tall Grass from then on (then again, I am a massive spendthrift). I wouldn't describe Tall Grass as mid to late game: you can (theoretically*) get it immediately after unlocking Caed Nua so, potentially as early as level 3 or 4.

@Slack83er whilst there aren't a lot of different pikes, do remember that Tall Grass is a very good weapon. Inflicting prone on crit is very good, and the synergy with 10% of hits converted to crits is great. 

*I say theoretically because you might be a bit short on cash at this stage.

Great, so I got three options to stay second line: Either reache 2h weapons OR Gyrd, which does a great thing... restore spiritshift...

Now, to become the real beastslayer... I need talents... maybe the ones that go Vs. specific creature types?

I could also borrow Durance's staff and get him at the back, casting support spells... Afaik, I and Eder should take care well enough of the front line.

Even for PotD you only need one real tank. I opt to go with a Paladin, because they will stay alive and be able to cast their per encounter support abilities (revive, heal, suppress afflictions, all the good stuff). The other frontliner can be an off tank and if you feel hyphy then you can go with a full dps non tank. Just send the tank in first and follow up with the non tank.

Shall I take out Eder in the second part of the game then? 

Keep Durance, Pallegina, Grieving Mother, Aloth....?

Shall I take out Eder in the second part of the game then? 

Keep Durance, Pallegina, Grieving Mother, Aloth....?

If you want only companions then that is the way to go. After you get passed Caed Nua you can get Pallegina rather quickly (completing the side quest "At All Costs" is required). If you give her the Zealous Endurance your party will be more durable. Make sure to set the options so companions do not auto-level up in the options menu.

To be fair Fighters are more all round tanks when concerning only themselves. If they can take aggro they can hold out for a long time. If not then their role is diminished, yes they can "leash"  enemies to focus them, but that may not be effective in all situations, especially when there is a lot of enemies (on higher difficulties). Paladins have aura's to support the party and abilities that benefit others more. Their stats are naturally higher due to faith and conviction passive. Note that they do not gain or lose any stats when your disposition is different from their preferred disposition. The stats increase with levels.

Eders personal quest can only be completed by gaining high enough reputation with Defiance Bay and then unlocking access to Clîaban Rilag through the main questline. So if you plan to complete this then you'd have to switch in Eder again at that point when you meet the prerequisites.

Edited by AeonsLegend

Yes, just companions, no created henchmen.

Forgot kana, btw...

Also, I always configure Pallegina as an extra damage dealer. Her stats are so high that she doesn't need a shield. So I give her:

Dual wielding weapons

Bloody Slaughter

Two Weapon Style

Savage Attack

Next to her defensive talents. That way she can also kill stuff and not just stand around absorbing hits.