Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] Counselor Ploi (charming paladin supporter tank)

class build tank support mind control

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Ascaloth

Ascaloth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Steam:falcontakehiro

I recently designed a Goldpact variant of this build, taking elements from the Darcozzi Commendatore, trading the accuracy bonus from Inspiring Liberation with more utility in 'friendly' mind control via Bond of Duty. He's pretty much done - along with the rest of the party I built around the guy - but I'm struck with an inspiration for a party background that will take me a bit more time to write out in full yet.  :geek:

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1737 posts
  • Steam:extol51
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
He's a Paladin and a Diplomat, for the conversation! Obviously you get the small benefit of Will and Deflection.

Boer RPs a litttle bit so I think that's it. 10 Con is fine on a paladin. Personally I take Con and res. I don't find per necessary on a Paladin Alpha Strike tank. With sworn enemy, + 20 ACC of FoD, per level ability accuracy raise (+1 every level) a weapon Focus and support debuffs a 10 Per is more then enough for Flames of Devotion Alphas.

If I was playing solo Paladin I'd have Per and not take Res.

Edited by Torm51, 25 October 2017 - 08:22 AM.

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1737 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I recently designed a Goldpact variant of this build, taking elements from the Darcozzi Commendatore, trading the accuracy bonus from Inspiring Liberation with more utility in 'friendly' mind control via Bond of Duty. He's pretty much done - along with the rest of the party I built around the guy - but I'm struck with an inspiration for a party background that will take me a bit more time to write out in full yet. :geek:

POE 2 has made me lose any inspiration for Goldpact Knights as cool as I think they are. In Poe 2 they get no Zealous Auras as part of their "negative kit" the trade that for being able to cast sworn enemy on themselves which gives them a big DR buff. In a game with no aggro I'd only use that as a solo Paladin. Sad bear :(

No auras for a Paladin I think just plain sucks.

Edited by Torm51, 25 October 2017 - 08:24 AM.

Moneo

Moneo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

I love Goldpact pallies as a PC because of their reputation options. I'm also disappointed how are Goldpact pallies introduced in PoE2, but that's not the final decision, everything may be changed.

Personally, I think that a paladin without auras is near to worthless, especially in (full-)party gameplay.

• Torm51 likes this

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1737 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I love Goldpact pallies as a PC because of their reputation options. I'm also disappointed how are Goldpact pallies introduced in PoE2, but that's not the final decision, everything may be changed.

Personally, I think that a paladin without auras is near to worthless, especially in (full-)party gameplay.

I like them too.

I can agree with that though it's not final. And PoE isn't POE 2 so no reason you can't make one now. Not changing orders is just an RP thing I impose on myself so if they do stick with that it won't work for me.

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Steam:stormownz
  • Xbox Gamertag:Storm NoX
Why is the chill fog tanker than this build?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Who said it is?

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
I'm running this build and the chill fog Chanter. The Paladin just gets ripped apart. Or is this subject to change later in the game?

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1737 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Ya if you are playing a paladin with a two hander and light armor maybe but a Paladin with plate and a shield is your best overall tank. Other classes like wizards can surpass a Paladin temporarily but on a per encounter basis a Paladin is better. I've played this game for 2000 plus hours and have never had a Paladin "ripped up". Tell us specifically how you are playing the Paladin.

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
Currently at lvl 4 I'm running lay on hands, zealous focus, weapon and shield, and shielding touch.

My Chanter who is my main tank is running veterans recovery, ancient memory.

I gave both of them high con for the early game. Is it because it's early in the game that my Chanter is doing a better job at taking hits?

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
I will have to take screen shots when I get home to give you more details
  • Torm51 likes this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah level 4 isn't really a good metric for any build - you have so few talents and abilities at that stage that it's practically meaningless. Chanters also always start off strong with their ability to summon minions, their healing and their damaging chants/invocations. Give it a fair few more levels (9 or 10 is usually when I get a good sense of how something is shaping out) and then see how you feel - you've not really got any way into the meat of what the build is about.

Edited by Jojobobo, 04 December 2017 - 02:42 PM.

• Torm51 likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Early game is the hardest part. But still the paladin should at least be as tanky as the Chanter. If you send him in first so that he gets all the heat that may explain why he gets pummeled so hard while the chanter isn't. You can cast Lay on Hands in advance if you know he will get attacked soon.
  • Torm51 likes this

Elouen

Elouen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Hi,

i really want to play one of your nice guides on pally  but idk which one to choose 

Wich  of your build is the most fun to play for you (and in ealry game too)?

the Couselor ploi?

or the dull runner? https://forums.obsid...din-tank/page-2

thx for the  info :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The more effective one in a party is def. Counselor Ploi. Which one is more fun strongly depends on you preferences. :)

Also since the Dull Runner is a Bleak Walker you would need to do a quite evil playthrough (only if he's supposed to be the MC of course).
  • Torm51 likes this

Elouen

Elouen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

okay thanks mate, i have begun to build a counselor, and have to admit that for a defensive character, he deal a LOT of damage (thx kana and his arquebus)

Elouen

Elouen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

and again... (sorry)  is it not b etter   arbalest instead of arquebus? and what are the others weapons i could take that are good with focus soldier and the counselor??

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Arquebus is quite nice. If you can find an arbalest with higher enchantment quality (superb - like Aedrin's Wrecker) I would use that until you get Pliambo per Casit├ás, which is the best arquebus for Ploi because it has marking (+10 ACC for a single team member) AND disorienting (-5 defense on the enemy). Which is a net ACC gain of 15 for a team membner that attacks the same enemy as you (supergood against dragons and other bosses - but always useful generally speaking).

As for melee weapons: Outworn Buckler is king - add any one handed marking weapon to it (Cladhaliath or "Shame or Glory") or one with a disorienting enchantment (Strike Hard, Vile Loner's Lance). The best option for Ploi would be Cladhaliath with Marking + Coordinating. If you side with the Dozens and Ploi is the MC you can get Cladhaliath pretty early and also gain the talent Mob Justice which fits Ploi better than Merciless Hand (Doemenel) or Second Skin (Crucible Knights). But that's just a minor - stuff like the Vile Loner's Lance is also fine. Strike Hard would be cool because it's in the same weapon group as arquebus and arbalest. But it comes rather late.

Edited by Boeroer, 08 June 2018 - 12:12 AM.

Elouen

Elouen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

yeah outworn make my eder dps more viable as an offtank thanks for the info, wow vile loner's lance is really good ! i'll give it a try! thanks as always boeroer for giving us very nice build^^ (im also trying ur your thief/mage scrolls)

• Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
You are welcome. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: class build, tank, support, mind control

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users