[CLASS BUILD] Counselor Ploi (charming paladin supporter tank)

48 minutes ago, demon72 said:

based on the speed-calculator the effect seems to be much higher as it should be (~ +40%) - but maybe the speed-calculator is just wrong at this point.

The formula for the attack speed calculator was implemented by @MaxQuest who pulled it from the game code iirc. 
As I said: speed buffs that stack often do so multiplicatively and thus if you already have some speed bonuses that stacks with Hastening Exhortation then it may seem it works better than advertised in the tooltip.

Doesn't it stack?

Since it's an active effect it doesn't stack with other active effects. There are exceptions like Sure-Handed Ila. This is implemented in a way that it's in another "group" and thus stacks. Same as stuff that buffs deflection will stack with a buff that affects all defenses: will stack; or an active, universal buff to ACC (Disciplined Barrage) that will stack with a specific buff to "only" ranged and melee ACC  (Devotions for the Faithful). 

But Hastening Exhortation doesn't stack with Swift Aim, Alacrity, Frenzy, Swift Strikes, Spelltongue's speed buff and so on. If you don't have any of these then Hastening Exhortation mas be useful to you.

Definetly, but there at that few harder fights, that I'm not sure if I will ever use up all 3 charges before resting.

And as my Paladin doesn't do anything usefull in the first few seconds of a fight anyway - why shouldn't he help my melee-wizard to get even more deadly as he already is?

Yes, then it would make sense to use it. I didn't advise against it, I just said it's not popular because of 3/rest - answering your question why it is in so few builds.

But all depends if it stacks with Deleterious Alacrity or not.

Yeah - it doesn't. :)

But can still be used for other party members if you don't have other active speed buffs for them.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

28 minutes ago, demon72 said:

just curios, as "form of delegman" and "armor of faith" do stack and as far as I understand - they shouldn't (same group).

This falls into the same category as this:

38 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Same as stuff that buffs deflection will stack with a buff that affects all defenses: will stack; or an active, universal buff to ACC (Disciplined Barrage) that will stack with a specific buff to "only" ranged and melee ACC  (Devotions for the Faithful).

Because Armor of Faith buffs your DR universally but Form of the Delemgan "only" buffs pierce-, corrode-, shock-, crush- and slash-DR.

You can apply this stacking "rule of thumb" to everything in Pillars (and Deadfire): if one effect (buff or debuff doesn't matter) affects a stat universally and another one affects it only partially then they will stack. 

Hastening Exhortation and Alacrity affect both the exact same thing and are both active effects: no stacking.

What stacks with Hastening Exhortation: Durgan Steel effects (on weapon and on shield), Armored Grace, Speed (enchantment on weapons), Bloodlust (passive), Gauntlets of Swift Action (considered passive for no reason iirc), Anitlei (passive), Sure-Handed Ila (only ranged), dual wielding, Two-Weapon-Style (iirc additively only - but still stacks).
Everything else will suppress Hastening Exhortation if >20% or will get suppressed if < 20%.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, sorry - given that this build was written in 2016 I don't remember the details anymore.

Usually I wrote down the values from the in-game character sheet after finishing the playthrough and I tried to exclude per-rest and item bonuses and such in order to get the "base" value, but maybe I missed something here.

Or it may be because I copy-and-pasted the formatting template from another build and forgot to alter all values (like Lore for example). Survival 14 is very high. Nowadays i personally would try to get to 8 (iirc this is a threshold that allows for the next tier of ACC bonus when resting) and then let it be. 14 may be overkill - unless you are like me an don't ever use consumables, then you can skip all Lore  entirely and put everything into Survival. Athletics is unnecessary imo bc. of Lay on Hands.

24 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Hi, sorry - given that this build was written in 2016 I don't remember the details anymore.

Usually I wrote down the values from the in-game character sheet after finishing the playthrough and I tried to exclude per-rest and item bonuses and such in order to get the "base" value, but maybe I missed something here.

Or it may be because I copy-and-pasted the formatting template from another build and forgot to alter all values (like Lore for example). Survival 14 is very high. Nowadays i personally would try to get to 8 (iirc this is a threshold that allows for the next tier of ACC bonus when resting) and then let it be. 14 may be overkill - unless you are like me an don't ever use consumables, then you can skip all Lore  entirely and put everything into Survival. Athletics is unnecessary imo bc. of Lay on Hands.

I see, yeah i think i'll sit at 8 survival for the 40% heal bonus and bump lore/athletism, thanks.

22 hours ago, Absolum said:

I see, yeah i think i'll sit at 8 survival for the 40% heal bonus and bump lore/athletism, thanks.

My advice would be to use survival for the accuracy bonus (if you know which enemies you will face). It's the biggest impact a skill can have in PoE by far. Like... fighting a dragon with +8 or even +12 accuracy makes a huge difference, especially of you want to CC the beast (see Charm/Dominate).

In case you will be facing kith or you just don't know what's going to happen then the healing bonus is an okay alternative imo.

Edited by Boeroer

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

My advice would be to use survival for the accuracy bonus (if you know which enemies you will face). It's the biggest impact a skill can have in PoE by far. Like... fighting a dragon with +8 or even +12 accuracy makes a huge difference, especially of you want to CC the beast (see Charm/Dominate).

In case you will be facing kith or you just don't know what's going to happen then the healing bonus is an okay alternative imo.

Yeah but ennemies are different, i've used ACC bonus for the early game but i don't play with it anymore, you have to keep resting everytime to switch creature type, it's just plain annoying, i just go for healing bonus on tanks and damage reduction on DPS.

+1 Movement speed is a pretty underrated Survival bonus. A recurring theme I've noticed is that many of the people who struggle with PoE are convinced that the combat is static because they have an unwarranted fear of disengagement attacks. I mean, sure, there are enemies that hit so hard that giving them a free shot is no fun but a lot of those guys are also pokey enough that giving them that one free shot buys you the ability to kite them with impunity. Fighters in particular ought to be weaponizing their durability in order to bully casters and provide flanking opportunities.

On 3/28/2023 at 2:43 PM, Absolum said:

Yeah but ennemies are different, i've used ACC bonus for the early game but i don't play with it anymore, you have to keep resting everytime to switch creature type, it's just plain annoying, i just go for healing bonus on tanks and damage reduction on DPS.

Do you mean bonus damage to flanked enemies on DPS, don't you?

No, there is a rank 4 bonus to flanking damage that is universal but fairly minor whereas the ACC bonus has you choose a critter category to bully (kith is not an option, sadly) but is much higher impact. The ACC bonus is king with foreknowledge out but otherwise my generic setup is the +Healing mod on Fighters and +1 Movement for most everyone else.