My last Barb solo build that I shelved, since it was getting interrupted too much, was a healing based two-hander concept - I think it would work better as an alt one hander and shield concept to this one.

Essentially, if you take 19 Con (14 + Iron Circle + Rymyrgand's Boon) you hit 2500+ health, take Wound Binding and you hit 5000+ in a single encounter with any kind of healing bonuses that hit x2.5 (which is not hard to do). Couple this to 21 Might, take a healing item (x1.25) ad then the x1.8 healing modifier (Survival) and you get a x3 healing bonus.

For Attribute changes, take Coastal Aumaua. What you need to hit end game is Might 21, Con 19 and Int 16 minimum (from testing 16 will consistently hit a target directly behind you if you're attacking a target in front) - dump whatever else you need to hit those numbers, preferably Resolve. As Boeroer has mentioned, this build has crazy defences already, including Deflection, and the reason why my version of a healing build didn't work IMO was a lack of both Deflection and Concentration with the slow Tidefall (when you get critted, the enemy Interrupt sky-rockets, but if they don't as is the case when you have suitable Deflection, then very low Concentration is fine).

I would change the weapon from Bittercut to Purgatory for the healing, with the x3 healing modifier you actually get 60% of any damage dealt with it rather than 20% (I'm not sure on the rate of Dragon's Maw Taste of the Hunt procs - Boeroer would know more on that - but let's say hypothetically if it doesn't proc too often then with the two healing-ish weapons around 40% of enemy health is endurance regen for you). From this I would drop Spirit of Decay and go for the precious Wound Binding.

For other equipment, the Lost Periapt of the Winding Path, He Carries Many Scars, Belt of Bountiful Healing, Maegfolc Skull and Shod-in-Faith (possibly, maybe the Deflection is too high, it is any crit after all) do great. Remember that Dragon's Maw also carries another massive Savage Defiance heal, which can be switched into when you back above 50% to receive it (from my testing) so you can always use a different weapon if you like and switch.

How do you get 20 Survival for the x4 healing modifier? 1 (Barbarian) + 2 (Colonist) + 2 (any Survival item) +2 (Warden's Lodge - outweighs the bonus from +3 Might with the healing modifier reached) +1 (Rymyrgand's Boon), for the remaining 12 use 78 skill points out of your 90 total. Additional skill cost breaks can be managed by using a relevant prostitute boon, but for me it'd be too tedious to backtrack to the Gift all the time and the boost is only good for one camping bonuserest unlike the Warden's Lodge bonus.

This idea is untested, but I'm 95% sure it would work. I was originally intending to have all those heals as well as the Dragon's Maw Savage Defiance as a switch bonus, but the interrupt ruined the build Act III upscaled using Tidefall so I didn't pursue it - with the shield used continually I really think it would work even on solo (5000+ health after all, with moderate to good Defences). You can take Lore 1, and get Lore bonuses from resting, prostitutes or equipment - enough for 4 and Scrolls of Defence which is why I think this would work solo.

I was going to call the build the "Healasaurus Rex" (I know, a weird title, and yes it is a little similar to the Accident-prone Squire but with healing on steroids), so I guess consider this the Healasaurus Rex variant - and again entirely untested so use at your own risk. I've now got another Barbarian build in mind, so rather than retread much the same ground as Boeroer I'm going to do that instead, but I am convinced these suggestions will work. Have fun!

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

Actually - draining isn't affected by healing bonuses. :( But Wound Binding is as well as Infuse with Vital Essence. With all that healing buffs Wound Binding will give back all your health.

You can get ~30 CON with a dwarf by the way. That's about 500 endurance and 3000 health if I'm not mistaken. With Wound Binding that's nearly 6000. My dual wielding HoF solo barb was a "Healasaurus Rex". Nice name by the way. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I didn't realise endurance wasn't effected, good to know. 6000 is pretty cool, but to be honest I thought 5000 would be enough! It becomes a bit arbitrary in the end, and it's hard to anticipate how much healing you'll actually have access to in order to fill that health (maybe only 3000 is needed after all).

As I mentioned with Tidefall this doesn't really work, but either with Dual Wielding as you found or Dragon's Maw and healing weapon both I think would work fine.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

If not draining, then what about restore major endurance from my all time favourite looking sword steadfast? Should be affected by the healing boni, right? Also doesn't look to shabby with dragons maw...

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

• 3 weeks later...

It's a saying... "Heroes are not born, they are made", and you talk about that the golden dragon was not born but made by animancers. Thought you sort of used that saying. Nevermind

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

• 1 month later...

My last Barb solo build that I shelved, since it was getting interrupted too much, was a healing based two-hander concept - I think it would work better as an alt one hander and shield concept to this one.

Essentially, if you take 19 Con (14 + Iron Circle + Rymyrgand's Boon) you hit 2500+ health, take Wound Binding and you hit 5000+ in a single encounter with any kind of healing bonuses that hit x2.5 (which is not hard to do). Couple this to 21 Might, take a healing item (x1.25) ad then the x1.8 healing modifier (Survival) and you get a x3 healing bonus.

For Attribute changes, take Coastal Aumaua. What you need to hit end game is Might 21, Con 19 and Int 16 minimum (from testing 16 will consistently hit a target directly behind you if you're attacking a target in front) - dump whatever else you need to hit those numbers, preferably Resolve. As Boeroer has mentioned, this build has crazy defences already, including Deflection, and the reason why my version of a healing build didn't work IMO was a lack of both Deflection and Concentration with the slow Tidefall (when you get critted, the enemy Interrupt sky-rockets, but if they don't as is the case when you have suitable Deflection, then very low Concentration is fine).

I would change the weapon from Bittercut to Purgatory for the healing, with the x3 healing modifier you actually get 60% of any damage dealt with it rather than 20% (I'm not sure on the rate of Dragon's Maw Taste of the Hunt procs - Boeroer would know more on that - but let's say hypothetically if it doesn't proc too often then with the two healing-ish weapons around 40% of enemy health is endurance regen for you). From this I would drop Spirit of Decay and go for the precious Wound Binding.

For other equipment, the Lost Periapt of the Winding Path, He Carries Many Scars, Belt of Bountiful Healing, Maegfolc Skull and Shod-in-Faith (possibly, maybe the Deflection is too high, it is any crit after all) do great. Remember that Dragon's Maw also carries another massive Savage Defiance heal, which can be switched into when you back above 50% to receive it (from my testing) so you can always use a different weapon if you like and switch.

How do you get 20 Survival for the x4 healing modifier? 1 (Barbarian) + 2 (Colonist) + 2 (any Survival item) +2 (Warden's Lodge - outweighs the bonus from +3 Might with the healing modifier reached) +1 (Rymyrgand's Boon), for the remaining 12 use 78 skill points out of your 90 total. Additional skill cost breaks can be managed by using a relevant prostitute boon, but for me it'd be too tedious to backtrack to the Gift all the time and the boost is only good for one camping bonuserest unlike the Warden's Lodge bonus.

This idea is untested, but I'm 95% sure it would work. I was originally intending to have all those heals as well as the Dragon's Maw Savage Defiance as a switch bonus, but the interrupt ruined the build Act III upscaled using Tidefall so I didn't pursue it - with the shield used continually I really think it would work even on solo (5000+ health after all, with moderate to good Defences). You can take Lore 1, and get Lore bonuses from resting, prostitutes or equipment - enough for 4 and Scrolls of Defence which is why I think this would work solo.

I was going to call the build the "Healasaurus Rex" (I know, a weird title, and yes it is a little similar to the Accident-prone Squire but with healing on steroids), so I guess consider this the Healasaurus Rex variant - and again entirely untested so use at your own risk. I've now got another Barbarian build in mind, so rather than retread much the same ground as Boeroer I'm going to do that instead, but I am convinced these suggestions will work. Have fun!

How does wound binding work in combat? heals health but not Endurance? If so am I mistaken in thinking that's rarely useful?

How does wound binding work in combat? heals health but not Endurance? If so am I mistaken in thinking that's rarely useful?

It works as normal during combat, healing health but not endurance. What this means is you have much more health to allow for healing endurance, because if your separate endurance heals greatly outweigh your health pool then they're no use. As this variation hits the x1.8 Survival modifier, and has the Belt of Bountiful Healing, the heals you are going to see will be massive - and I wouldn't imagine a 2500 health pool would accommodate them. If someone does test this variation, and finds something you're only healing 4000 endurance points per match then post it up so the CON can be fiddled to allow for that.

As to how useful it would be, it's hard to say. During dragon fights I would say it would work pretty well, it's already pretty tanky so for even a boss monster to overcome 5000 health is no mean feat. Even if the talent doesn't see loads of use, it's quite cool conceptually to have so much health and endurance healing as it's a take on being an ultimate tank - substituting the high defences of things like the Monk and Paladin for good defences and ludicrously high health and healing.

Sure. Just grab Spelltongue and use it as your main weapon. It's the main point of the leech build. Make sure you pick all the items, talents and abilities that have durations that can be expanded (if you want them), like Savage/Stalwart Defiance, Shod-in-Faith, Vet. Recovery and so on.

Edited by Boeroer

Hi I'm new to the game and I'm almost done with my first playthrough. I think I'm going to start a second one with this barbarian as my main on hard, but I'm not sure I want to start with those stats. My plan is to start 2 handed by following this guide and eventually to respec. But what items should I own in order to respec and start using this guide without much trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Once you can have Stalwart Defiance and a decent armor I would change to weapon & shield. He's a tank after all. You don't need to dump CON. This guy also plays well with a lot of CON. The real magic begins once you can have Heart of Fury and Badgradr's Barricade.

• Like 1

Once you can have Stalwart Defiance and a decent armor I would change to weapon & shield. He's a tank after all. You don't need to dump CON. This guy also plays well with a lot of CON. The real magic begins once you can have Heart of Fury and Badgradr's Barricade.

Well I won't modify this build by touching CON as I'm not sure where I should take the points out - but that's not an issue, I can start as a 2 hander and respec using this build once I have Stalwart Defiance (and Sanguine Plate I guess), or try this build right from the start by using some of the suggestions you gave in this thread.

Two more question: I'm going to make a party using some of the npc companions I haven't used yet, basically Pallegina, Maneha and Hiravias, and  I will also hire a ranged priest. How could I use these classes and their abilities/spells to complement my barbarian? Keep in mind that I never used paladins and barbarians, so I know nothing about them. Also what class should I hire for my sixth party slot?

Thx :)

There's a nice build for Pallegina that's called "the Fire General". Paladins have good heals as well, so use Lay on Hands to prevent team mates from going down. With Zealous Focus you can raise the party's accuracy which is especially good in the early game.

Hiravias as a druid has nice CC spells like Returning & Relentless Storm. Those will prevent enemies from hitting your front line. He also has Moonwell which is very nice for your barb tank and he also has Form of the Delemgan which is very nice because it's DR stacks with other sources and makes your party more sturdy.

Priest as usual: buff your frontline with Devotions of the Faithful + Inspiring Radiance. This will give them all +30 ACC. Together with Pallegina's Zealos Focus that's +36 ACC.

You can build Maneha as you like - but since you already have a barb tank you might want to build her into a dual wielder with sabres or battle axes. I also love Hours of St. Rumbalt (great sword) on a barb. Use Blood Thirst + Blood Lust + Frenzy.

As the sixth member I personally would use a wizard. Expose Vulnerabilitites + Combusting Wounds are so good when combined with Heart of Fury.