Yes, guys, I can't enjoy my MC. I dunno why, he's just what I wanted to build, my ghost hunter. But it's so... common... it's.... just it doesn't do anything special... no dialogues, no mech, just hit hit hit.... I begin to think it's my fault... maybe I'm expecting something that this game will never give me...

I'm depressed.

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Wait for it... As soon as your level has two digits, evaluate again. ;) And until then, simply enjoy the Beauty of the game

Or just wait for the city... If you visit a certain area, you will be happy to be a undead hunter. Another area and you will be happy to be a ghostbusters. Trust me... There was one quest I never wanted to do in the beginning because of the spirits it made me fight.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Yeah boer... I still got this feeling... I know this game is more rpg than many others but I can't get involved in it... dunno why...

I try to go on, but after a bit I get bored by the lack of... something that keeps me want to go on...

this didn't happen in other games, such as dai.... I feel my char lacks in power, epicity...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Yeah boer... I still got this feeling... I know this game is more rpg than many others but I can't get involved in it... dunno why...

I try to go on, but after a bit I get bored by the lack of... something that keeps me want to go on...

this didn't happen in other games, such as dai.... I feel my char lacks in power, epicity...

Ah yea, pick fighter, configure him as a DPS fighter, wait till you get Charge and then see how your character destroys the enemy before anyone can even cast a spell. doesn't need buffs, debuffs, spells. Just wrecks faces by himself.

It's like: "Oh noes a fight with Pŵgras, Mênpŵgras, Delemgans, Vithracks or Druids! I better prepare for this hard fight!! Oh wait they're already all dead."

Aeons, it's not just a sensation of weakness... it's not about being badass... it's about silly movements... it's about graphics that are too shabby to show some real power... it's a mechanic thing I think. Add this and the fact that this game has no class quests, and being fighter, cipher or anything else is just the same...

Most fun mc by far is a cipher for me.

Have you tried a melee cipher yet?

No, not yet.  Shall I? I heard it's difficult...

Listen slacker... Less worry, more play! ;) sorry if this sounds harsh, but.... Your character right now is a low level! Obviously there is no sensation of power right now, because you are not a powerful person. Yet! Wait a few levels, and when you are a high level character, you will feel like it. Trust me on this one.

• Like 3

And everybody knows

Well it's possible that PoE isn't for you. This isn't the end of the world, not every game is for everyone.

That said, unless you absolutely hate the game, I'd suggest sticking with it for a bit. I'd also suggest trying to focus less on who and what your main character is, and more on soaking up the great dialogue, beautiful environments and the excellent story of the game. But if that doesn't do it for you it's not the end of the world, there are lots of other games out there.

EDIT: also yeah, what Ben No.3 says: wait till you're character can literally set themselves on fire with sacred flames causing all nearby enemies to take terrible burning damage. 

Edited by JerekKruger

Nonono... it's not a matter of low level. It's a matter of immersion. I don't even know what face I have in this game.. Walls of dialogues and nothing particularly fitting for my playstyle... Everytime I play I'm bored after twenty minutes...

I see. You're more into modern games that show you what the story and world is about rather than telling you. This game is based on the original Baldurs Gate series and presents the story in a similar fashion. Granted Baldur's Gate and also Torment had more of a focus on you as a character while exploring the story.

I think this style of game is just not for you.

Immersion is experienced different for everyone. I find games like these incredibly immersive. Not because of the character you picked, but because of the world, the companions and the story.

Aeons... I just can't see the story. I ended up in Defiance Bay without knowing why. I go around the map (usually tiny) without ever feeling part of it... Just enter every possible door or hole, kill and come back.. I'm sure it's just ME that's the problem...

Aeons... I just can't see the story. I ended up in Defiance Bay without knowing why. I go around the map (usually tiny) without ever feeling part of it... Just enter every possible door or hole, kill and come back.. I'm sure it's just ME that's the problem...

Perhaps the introduction of the story could have been handled better. But the original  Baldurs Gate also didn't tell you what was going on until about halfway into the game. The opneingis stronger though. In BG some dude pops up and murders the person who took care of you all your life right in front of you and leaves you with an ominous message. Sure as hell you want to go after this guy right?

I guess the incentive in PoE is kind of missing. I mean you survive a soul storm or whatever and then go hunting for whatever caused it, but in all honesty you could have just gone home and that'd be done. It's kind of the same in Skyrim. Epic opening and escape, but after you get to Riverwood there is actually absolutely no reason for you to go further.

Other than that though I think it is presented fine. And once you get a few pieces of the puzzle in Defiance Bay it gets more interesting. 

I'm sure it's just ME that's the problem...

It's not really a problem, PoE is just (probably) not for you. No matter how hard I try, I've never been able to get into Skyrim, yet it's a hugely popular game. Skyrim's just not for me. Don't feel bad about it, life's way too short to feel bad about the fact you happen not to enjoy a particular game. Games are supposed to be fun*, so if you don't find a game fun then play something you do.

*This may come as a surprise if you've spent a lot of time on the internet, but they are.

Well to be honest... skyrim is another game that I just didn't understand... I played some hours of it just to discover that all I had to do was roam around the villages... I found more appeal in the Dragon Age series, while everyone keeps telling it sucks. I was a mage, and when I rolled that blasted staff I wrecked havok. the magics were spectacular, and the graphic is astounding. Cassandra unrolls the story for you, and there's no way the herald of andraste can pack his bags and go home...

As to the cipher, I find him less difficult as soon as you understand what each power does and how much focus your likely to gain per second.

Sure you've got to put some work in, but that's true for almost every game.

As to Skyrim:

I didn't find the beginning to well handled, since you don't know a reason why you got caught or anything about your char, you just discover at some point you are "dragonborn", but apart from that you never learn anything about yourself.

It's quite similar in PoE.

I personally much preferred the Baldur's Gate story.

Slack83er, did you play BG?

You might find it more interesting, but because the game has similar combat you might feel drawn back to PoE after.

Did you find the story of BG1 more interesting Raven Darkholme? I absolutely loved BG2, but BG1's story was not that great in my opinion. Moreover I'd say it's even more guilty of not really explaining what's going on given that the plot simply happens to your character till near the end. I love BG1, but primarily because it leads into BG2, not because the story is particularly great.

EDIT: that and because Durlag's Tower is, in my opinion, a really well done dungeon.

Edited by JerekKruger

I played both bg1&2. But that was the standard back then. There was no good graphics, no voiceovers...

now I value quality and graphics along with gameplay. And sadly, my paladin is just a tiny toon which is not epic at all, at least aesthetically. Moreover, it doesn't make any difference which character you play. Dialogues are just the same..

Did you find the story of BG1 more interesting Raven Darkholme? I absolutely loved BG2, but BG1's story was not that great in my opinion. Moreover I'd say it's even more guilty of not really explaining what's going on given that the plot simply happens to your character till near the end. I love BG1, but primarily because it leads into BG2, not because the story is particularly great.

EDIT: that and because Durlag's Tower is, in my opinion, a really well done dungeon.

I found the story more interesting than PoE even in BG 1.

Iron Trone, Assassins, a murdered foster father  think it was well done, but ofc 2 was a lot better.

The plot in Candlekeep, you going to jail, then being arrested again in Baldur's Gate itself, it was all pretty awesome.

As you said Durlags was very well done, too and so was werewolf island.

Last chapter was slightly rushed but still alright.

I played both bg1&2. But that was the standard back then. There was no good graphics, no voiceovers...

now I value quality and graphics along with gameplay. And sadly, my paladin is just a tiny toon which is not epic at all, at least aesthetically. Moreover, it doesn't make any difference which character you play. Dialogues are just the same..

Well I can only repeat what others said it might sadly be this game is not for you.

People like me wished for a game exactly like this, isometric graphics and all.

There's not many games I prefer to BG one of them was Jade Empire.

Awesome story and the choices you could make were so many and interesting.

I found the story more interesting than PoE even in BG 1.

Interesting, I thought that, had PoE's story been executed a little better it could have topped BG2's. I am hopeful that PoE2 will achieve this goal and become my favourite CRPG.

As you said Durlags was very well done, too and so was werewolf island.

It's an underrated dungeon in my opinion. I liked Watcher's Keep, but I actually think Durlag's Tower was better. Interestingly, I feel like Durgan's Battery was quite similar to Durlag's Keep and is one of my favourite dungeons in any CRPG.

As for Werewolf Island, all I remember about that was having only one +3 weapon and hating every fight against whatever the top level werewolves were, if for no other reason that I got sick of "my weapon has no effect"  :biggrin:

People like me wished for a game exactly like this, isometric graphics and all.

Yup. I've always preferred the hand drawn backgrounds of isometric style CRPGs. For whatever reason I just find them much more attractive. I do hope that the success of PoE and the hopeful success of Tides will mean we'll be treated to a whole raft of new isometric CRPGs.

There's not many games I prefer to BG one of them was Jade Empire.

Awesome story and the choices you could make were so many and interesting.

Huh, I've never played Jade Empire. Is it hard to get to run on modern PCs? If not I might give it a go.

• Like 1

@Slacker

You need optical epicness? ;)

Try soloing a bear with a naked aumaua fire godlike monk by spamming torments reach...

Try landing that finishing blow on a giant dragon by using a missile barrage scroll....

Try killing a huge pack of enemies with embrace the earth talon...

Try summoning a dragon with a chanter...

Just get a few levels ;)

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

And everybody knows

Nothing comes close to the story of Planescape:Torment. And it's also the only game where I actually cared about my companions.

Time for my dirty little secret: I've never played PS:T. I only discovered it a lot later (some time around 2008) and I just couldn't get past the UI. I really should sit down and just force myself to play it till I get used to it...